Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Spats McGee

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
The green Campdraft is now with my Silver Belly, Glen Grey & Mid-Brown. Purchased from Cookie in Australia, this one will probably become my Go-To field hat & retire the Riverina...
cdgreen1.jpg

cdgreen2.jpg

cdgreen3.jpg

The noggin shots...
cdgreen4.jpg

cdgreen5.jpg
Deputy, that's one good-looking hat! I really like those green CDs.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
The green Campdraft is now with my Silver Belly, Glen Grey & Mid-Brown. Purchased from Cookie in Australia, this one will probably become my Go-To field hat & retire the Riverina...

I love green hats. I love the Campdraft. Way to go, Deputy!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtdean48 said:
cdgreen5.jpg

I like that shade of green; you are getting quite the selection of CDs!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
moonstone...shmoonstone

why stop with moonstone. as we were kvetching about in the christy's thread, you can see that akubra has a huge array of felts in their inventory. the akubra mother site actually shows some beautiful sand colored felts, seemingly lighter than their silver belly, as well as other sharp looking colors too.

they should really offer all or at least some of their hats in a larger number of options...a retailer like hats-direct could compile a number of orders and then place it as the buyer-my two cents.

perhaps this is the way to go about this?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I think its been discussed the minimum amount they need to order...was it 200-300? Thats a big stock for a retailer...In a particular color...they might get 20 orders from the lounge...?:eek:

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
hm...

i remember reading that; slipped my mind.

but, i still don't see why akubra would be unwilling to do this...i could call them myself obviously...but really, it's not like the hat scene is piping hot these days, even a 20 hat order would bring them sizable revenue that they might otherwise not have.

maybe if i get some free time (ha!) i'll drop them a line and see what they say.

thanks for the heads up.

The model of most manufacturers is based on volume and volume allows them to price competetively. After a while the factory gets set in it's ways to a point that they have a hard time in doing anything out of the ordinary.

Then there is the fact that short runs take as much time to set up as long runs. There maybe cleaning and resetting involved in changes of colors of felts that makes short runs less desirable. And higher cost per unit.

Doing a run of a lesser demand color is not a free of costs thing, the time and effort is the same (more even if it was a short run) and the color may prove unpopular which means the money in the form of hats sits on a shelf as opposed to being sold and creating wealth.

HOWEVER! This is where a marketing plan is helpful. Enthusiasts just might like "Limited Special Editions" done with special color(s) with a special detail twist like better felt, never to be repeated, numbered with certificates and you can charge more for them. That's the tact that could sell the unusual color, but it is still a gamble and how to get the word out to the enthusiasts?
[huh]

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
but wait..

your logic makes sense here...but, surely, there must be overlap of felt bodies used among different hat models.

perhaps the federation and the campdraft differ, but maybe the campdraft or the fed share a felt body with another model...afterall they could just slip a different color felt body into the process.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
One of my other hobbies

John in Covina said:
HOWEVER! This is where a marketing plan is helpful. Enthusiasts just might like "Limited Special Editions" done with special color(s) with a special detail twist like better felt, never to be repeated, numbered with certificates and you can charge more for them. That's the tact that could sell the unusual color, but it is still a gamble and how to get the word out to the enthusiasts?
[huh]

Similar business models have done well and continue to do so. Here are some of my limited edition Benchmades.

They are all "1 of x". The blue 960 in D2 steel is 1 of 50. The black 960 is S30V steel. The perimeter 940s are both S30V blades with variations on the Ti handle theme.

hpim2015.jpg

Left to right is a vintage Mallory and a Whippet.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CRH said:
Similar business models have done well and continue to do so. Here are some of my limited edition Benchmades.

They are all "1 of x". The blue 960 in D2 steel is 1 of 50. The black 960 is S30V steel. The perimeter 940s are both S30V blades with variations on the Ti handle theme.

hpim2015.jpg

Left to right is a vintage Mallory and a Whippet.

CRH! You are indeed a man of many facets (and edges)! I love sharp things and those are really fine! Nice hats too; don't nick one....

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:

CRH,
I always knew there was something I liked about you...:) Squatter and Campdraft.

IMG_4335-1.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
Bluegrass Green Campdraft

Well I think it is time to place an order for a Campdraft. To the folks out there that have the bluegrass green colour (gtdean48, Dundee, possibly others), are you still enjoying them and is the bluegrass get much noggin time? I really like the tawny fawn, but I have a Fed IV in the fawn. My next choice would probably be the silverbelly but I just recently acquired a vintage Open Road with a 2 1/4" brim that is silverbelly.

Also on sizing, My two Fed IV's were 58's and they were huge when they first arrived but have conformed nicely now. Being an open crown like the Fed IV I was wondering what size to order in the Campdraft model. Do they typically fall on the large end of the scale in sizing?

billyspew

One Too Many
Duper said:
Well I think it is time to place an order for a Campdraft. To the folks out there that have the bluegrass green colour (gtdean48, Dundee, possibly others), are you still enjoying them and is the bluegrass get much noggin time? I really like the tawny fawn, but I have a Fed IV in the fawn. My next choice would probably be the silverbelly but I just recently acquired a vintage Open Road with a 2 1/4" brim that is silverbelly.

Also on sizing, My two Fed IV's were 58's and they were huge when they first arrived but have conformed nicely now. Being an open crown like the Fed IV I was wondering what size to order in the Campdraft model. Do they typically fall on the large end of the scale in sizing?

I have a Bluegrass Green one, ordered a 58 (which I normally am) and it fits a treat. Still probably one of my top 10 worn hats. Wear it nearly as much as the fawn one.

If you want a green hat, get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe