Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

cloudatlas

New in Town
Oops, didn't think I still had these photos. This Squatter had its brim trimmed by previous owner just behind the brim binding.
He was going for an Indy look & I got a brown one & a grey one for a huge discount. I raised the crease as much as I could.
Grey Squatter...
GreySquat.jpg

Glen Grey Campdraft...
cdraftgg.jpg

Perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for. I like them both, but I think I am partial to the Campdraft. Too bad the Glen Gray is gone! That may make the choice easier, though: EA has the Bluegrass Green for a better price. I think I'll grab a Bluegrass Green Campdraft and a Carbon Grey Sydney from EA.

Perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for. I like them both, but I think I am partial to the Campdraft. Too bad the Glen Gray is gone! That may make the choice easier, though: EA has the Bluegrass Green for a better price. I think I'll grab a Bluegrass Green Campdraft and a Carbon Grey Sydney from EA.

That Bluegrass Green is an Excellent color too. What size are you looking to get?
My BGG in action...
DSCF0315.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Give them a call on the Glen Gray so they learn that the interest is out here, but the Bluegrass CD gets the most noggin time for me. It is a very interesting color which photography rarely captures. Dean has a great photo of the hat in the field, but we still hardly get the effect of the true color. (Great deer! Ours are a lot smaller here, but they are quite appealing in the crockpot.)

Besides, I prefer to deal with Everything Australian which has an exclusive on that hat in that color. Would rather wait for their hats to come it than take what the others have readily available.

Fed

cloudatlas

New in Town
I tried to buy the Glen Gray Campdraft and was advised that this is no longer available. I ordered the Moonstone and like it, but mine is a bit blue/gray.

Fed

Did they contact you after you placed the order? I was just able to place an order for the Glen Gray CD on the hatsdirect site, but I suppose they may still cancel the order.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Did they contact you after you placed the order? I was just able to place an order for the Glen Gray CD on the hatsdirect site, but I suppose they may still cancel the order.

I also placed an order and thought that my order was complete, but got word the next day that this color was not available in my size. (58.) I had the option to upgrade to Moonstone or cancel. They may have a few sizes still in stock, so it is possible that you will get the Glen Gray. Trudi should write to you in about 5 hours and give you the word. She said that she would update the site to avoid annoying purchasers and this was supposed to take place a couple of weeks ago...

Fed

I'm a 59 in the Sydney, so my guess is that I'll be the same in a CD.
Probably, but in my experience sizing at Akubra is more "art" than "science". I have four Akubra hats--two Fed IVs, and two Campdrafts, all size 60. Both of the Fed IVs were approximately a full size too large out of the box, but fit perfectly after the usual "shrink to fit" period. The Campdrafts, on the other hand, were only slightly large out of the box, and after the "shrink to fit" period were a little too snug for my liking. A few hours on a hat jack for each Campdraft solved that minor problem and all four hats fit the same now, but don't be surprised if the fit of the Campdraft you receive is slightly different from your Sydney.

cloudatlas

New in Town
I also placed an order and thought that my order was complete, but got word the next day that this color was not available in my size. (58.) I had the option to upgrade to Moonstone or cancel. They may have a few sizes still in stock, so it is possible that you will get the Glen Gray. Trudi should write to you in about 5 hours and give you the word. She said that she would update the site to avoid annoying purchasers and this was supposed to take place a couple of weeks ago...

Fed

Unfortunately, the same happened to my order. The email from Hatsdirect actually was routed to my junk mail, and so for the last 24 hours, I've been living under the false assumption that the order went through without a problem. Now I may just wait to see if the Aussie dollar falls a bit more over the next few months, and if it does, I'll go for one of the Moonstones. Otherwise, I may just get a Bluegrass Green CD from EA --- though I'm still not entirely sold on the color: the green seems maybe a bit too forest-rangerish to me and to therefore have limited versatility.

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
though I'm still not entirely sold on the color: the green seems maybe a bit too forest-rangerish to me and to therefore have limited versatility.

Don't be afraid of the bluegrass green. I have one and I always get compliments when I wear it. More so than my brown & tawny Fed IV's, or silverbelly campdraft.

*sigh* I've said it before, and I'll say it again--I have to stop reading this thread or I'll end up getting a Bluegrass Green Campdraft for myself...once my size is back in stock, that is. lol

frussell

One Too Many
Bluegrass Green is really nice in person, and won't look like Smokey the Bear unless you shape it that way. I find it goes with everything I own, but then again, I'm a pretty boring earthtones kind of guy. Give it a shot.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Unfortunately, the same happened to my order. The email from Hatsdirect actually was routed to my junk mail, and so for the last 24 hours, I've been living under the false assumption that the order went through without a problem. Now I may just wait to see if the Aussie dollar falls a bit more over the next few months, and if it does, I'll go for one of the Moonstones. Otherwise, I may just get a Bluegrass Green CD from EA --- though I'm still not entirely sold on the color: the green seems maybe a bit too forest-rangerish to me and to therefore have limited versatility.

Saddened to hear of your experience with HD. Pretty annoying way to do business. Almost as bad as not checking the condition of a product being shipped across the globe...

As to the Campdraft in Bluegrass, have no fear! It is a great color. There is green to it, but almost a gray much of the time. It has a subtle character which is very pleasing. I wear it with everything from jeans and motorcycle jacket to a gray, blue or brown suit. It looks great on all levels. The photos and descriptions of this color just do not communicate the reality. If I could only keep one color Campdraft of the 3 that I own, it would be the Bluegrass. And if I make another order, it will be from Sam Menche at Everything Australian.

Fed

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
*sigh* I've said it before, and I'll say it again--I have to stop reading this thread or I'll end up getting a Bluegrass Green Campdraft for myself...once my size is back in stock, that is. lol

We'll be waiting for pictures when it comes in! I love seeing new Campdrafts show up

Bluegrass Green is really nice in person, and won't look like Smokey the Bear unless you shape it that way. I find it goes with everything I own, but then again, I'm a pretty boring earthtones kind of guy. Give it a shot.

Even with a campaign type crease I don't think the green would pass as Smokey the Bear. It's the perfect neutral green.

...As to the Campdraft in Bluegrass, have no fear! It is a great color. There is green to it, but almost a gray much of the time. It has a subtle character which is very pleasing. I wear it with everything from jeans and motorcycle jacket to a gray, blue or brown suit. It looks great on all levels. The photos and descriptions of this color just do not communicate the reality. If I could only keep one color Campdraft of the 3 that I own, it would be the Bluegrass. And if I make another order, it will be from Sam Menche at Everything Australian.

Fed

Great description of the green. It is very much a greyish green that is green heavy...wait, I confused myself...yeah:p

And +1 on the comment about Everything Austrailian. Sam is great to deal with.

cloudatlas

New in Town
Saddened to hear of your experience with HD. Pretty annoying way to do business. Almost as bad as not checking the condition of a product being shipped across the globe...

As to the Campdraft in Bluegrass, have no fear! It is a great color. There is green to it, but almost a gray much of the time. It has a subtle character which is very pleasing. I wear it with everything from jeans and motorcycle jacket to a gray, blue or brown suit. It looks great on all levels. The photos and descriptions of this color just do not communicate the reality. If I could only keep one color Campdraft of the 3 that I own, it would be the Bluegrass. And if I make another order, it will be from Sam Menche at Everything Australian.

Fed

Alright, alright, alright! A Bluegrass Campdraft it is! Order placed!

Lando

Practically Family
16318906866_afd360ea5b_c.jpg

Took the band off my Snowy River and ended up putting it on my Campdraft. Really like the look of it. I like the thin ribbon, but something about the Snowy River band and the more polite hat gives it a nice personality. Just thought I would share. The Campdrafts have always been so versatile for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe