Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
A box arrived and a hat was inside. Sadly, it looks like this:
IMG_5068.jpg
Yes, that discoloration under the ribbon is the hat and not some shadow.
It looks like they planned for this poorly finished dark spot to be under the ribbon. They missed badly.
Has anyone else experienced a situation like this?

Fed

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
I've had areas on the brim flattened/abraded due to contact with the packaging en route from the seller. A bit of brushing with or without water/steam has taken care of that. What on earth happened to your hat! I hope you have return privileges if it comes to that.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
My recent fed iv is exactly the same.
I just put it down to bouncing around in the box. I'd not given it much more thought 'til I saw your post. I'll have to give mine a brush and a bit of steam to see if it improves things.

frussell

One Too Many
I had one or two Akubras arrive like that, it was from the packaging strip around the outside of the crown that held the hat in the box. They brushed out easily. Let's hope that's all yours is. Frank.

O'Sully

Familiar Face
I didn't spring for the deluxe models. From what I under stand, the felt the is thicker and it get very hot here in the deep south

I didn't spring for the deluxe models. From what I under stand, the felt the is thicker and it get very hot here in the deep south

You won't be able to tell a "heat" difference from Heritage (Deluxe) to Imperial grade Akubras. The Heritage felt is denser but that doesn't mean the Imperial breathes better or is lighter in weight because the Deluxe is pounced better & feels thinner.
Sweatband & ribbons used are upgrades as well as the better felt & finish. Whether it is worth the price is an individual decision.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Well, after getting over the annoyance at the incomplete pouncing job, I decided to keep the hat and work the rough regions down myself. Shipping hats back and forth between Australia and the USA gets expensive.

This hat now has a name. "Kit" has been shaped; is drying and joined his brethren:

IMG_5097.JPG IMG_5098.JPG

I was concerned about the color, but it truly exceeds my expectations.

IMG_5115.JPG

Now if the vendor would just look hats over a bit more closely before shipping them to the other side of the world...

Fed

Attachments

• IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    791.9 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Click on the bottom photo and you will see that I have not yet sanded it down. I am still toying with this around the back where it is a bit less visible.

Fed

Aether

One of the Regulars
Lovely hats on this thread, I kind of wish I never looked at it...

I'm seriously thinking about ordering a Silverbelly CD, but I'm a little undecided. It's a lot of hat! The crown height is great but the brim is a lot more than I'm used to. Ideally I'd like 2 1/2", and it'd be a shame to lose the brim binding, but what else is there out there for about £100/$150?

Vintage would be great, but shipping/customs to the UK might make it too expensive - if only I had a small head and lived in the US!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Click on the bottom photo and you will see that I have not yet sanded it down. I am still toying with this around the back where it is a bit less visible.

Fed

I have had a few Akubra’s that have had more than a few “fly-aways” little hairs poking straight out of the felt. So I sat down with my trusty Swiss army knife and gave it a shave. Super smooth after that. So no sandpaper required, just another option.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe