Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

James71

A-List Customer
I dropped into the hattery and had a look at the moonstone CD. Lovely hat, awesome felt. You thin ribbon guys will love it.

I cant help but like a wide black ribbon on a moonstone though. The contrast is everything.

I have a glen grey CD that I swapped the ribbon out to a wide black one. I probably posted pics in this thread somewhere in the past....

EggHead

Practically Family
Wait James, did you say there IS a moonstone CD at the hattery? So they are producing it now?

And yes, I would love to see a 2" black ribbon on it too, but I felt it was too much to ask for from Akubra.

EggHead

Practically Family
Mando, I make all my tall crown hats (including the CD) with deep creases either diamond or tear-drop. Front rise is 4.5", back 4.25". The one that you see in my avatar is actually about 5" at the front, but I changed it to 4.5".
Here is an example of diamond crease:
mr7dvt.jpg

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Wait James, did you say there IS a moonstone CD at the hattery? So they are producing it now?

And yes, I would love to see a 2" black ribbon on it too, but I felt it was too much to ask for from Akubra.

It's on the Hats Direct web site under the Campdraft Deluxe, just use the drop down

mando

New in Town
Thanks for the specs Egghead, it gives me something to shoot for & thanks for the pic I do like the diamond bash.

mando

New in Town
Now I like that cd with the wide ribbon. I've been thinking about doing that for a while now. It's good to see what it looks like.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Been doing some work on my campdraft lately. The Stetson ribbon I put on had shrunk so much I would have had to restrech it, so I replaced it with one from a cheap wool hat I got off eBay. Was going to put the thin ribbon back on, but I couldn’t find it. I should have made a better fitting bow, but I just used the one it came with. Sanded down the brim a little more to smooth it up, which took it to between 2 1/8” and 2 1/16.” The brim break on this one was always kind of wonky, so it was hard to mark it evenly.

DSCF1048S_zpse4b54225.jpg

DSCF1049S_zps55dac36e.jpg

DSCF1046S_zps6ad1a9a8.jpg

I’ve found it easier to shape my Feds the way I like than the campdrafts, but that’s probably because I ordered a size up on the newer feds and just shrunk the sweatband down a bit, giving me more felt to play with. I wish Akubra made one of their nice open crowns in something lighter than silverbelly. I just don’t need any more dark hats, but they're great to play with.

Been doing some work on my campdraft lately.....
Just because it started out as a Campdraft, doesn't make it a Campdraft anymore with your mods.
The Campdraft is a model produced by Akubra, thin ribbon, bound edge, like the Open Road.
If you did this to a Stratoliner, it wouldn't be a Stratoliner anymore.
I mod'ed a Fed4 & renamed it based on the model I crafted it after, a Wanderer.
Let's keep this thread for the traditional Campdrafts & use Akubra Overload for variants. JMHO

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
That’s a bit like saying a campdraft needs to be left open crown to be considered a campdraft. ;)
Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I’ll post over in the other thread next time.

DougC

Practically Family
I'm with you--sorry GT--If you modify a car or truck from the factory specs, does it stop being a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or whatever? Naw, it just becomes your's. I don't want to turn this into the hotrod Campdraft thread...so, I'm with your there. But, a modified Campdraft is still a Campdraft. And thanks--I'm wearing mine tomorrow. Just because I typed Campdraft so much. back to the Campdraft pictures...:)

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I think there's substance to Mr. Dean's argument though. Yeah, if you change the spoiler on a Mustang it's still a mustang, but if you change the engine, what is it then? The Campdraft is basically an Open Road, which is defined by a particular style of ribbon, in a particular width, with a bound brim. If you take away the particular style of ribbon and the bound brim, doesn't that take away the defining features of what makes it a Campdraft?

Perhaps Akubra Overload or Conversion Corral might be more appropriate threads.

That’s a bit like saying a campdraft needs to be left open crown to be considered a campdraft. ;)
Sorry but styling a crease into an open crown is expected. Cutting off ribbon treatment + brim binding, & going from a TAR to a WAR...that is serious conversion.
You are treating the hat as a felt body. That changes the model of a hat. To use DougC's example, if you can see a car parked at the curb & still tell it is a Mustang, then it is a Mustang.
If there is a Mustang chassis under a body you don't recognize, it ain't a Mustang anymore.
For me, taking the edge binding off to shorten the brim & not replacing it, would be enough to not be true to the OR style & not be a Campdraft, like a Wanderer is a Playboy with a bound edge. A shorter brim with the edge binding back on, like the current effort to get a 2 5/8" brim, you still have the OR/CD attributes = matching thin ribbon bow & edge binding. Very ICONIC...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe