Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Maxwell - Black FQHH

wdw

One Too Many
Fanch, like you, I've had a long and winding road to get the sizing something I'm happier with. I've traded in 3 jackets now, 2 of which I wasn't happy with the fit, so that's over £1,000 ($1,600) I might as well have set fire to and at least kept warm for a few seconds.

For me, the interesting thing is that I started off with an LHB, but traded it in within a couple of months and now that long zip look is something I avoid completely, as just not being right for me. I much prefer buttons, although my DB is still my favourite jacket.

I have a Pre-War Irvin coming in a couple of months, so it'll be interesting to see if that lives up to the hype. If not, Sloan has a lot to answer for, although he got it right on the DB.:)

schitzo

Suspended
Fanch, like you, I've had a long and winding road to get the sizing something I'm happier with. I've traded in 3 jackets now, 2 of which I wasn't happy with the fit, so that's over £1,000 ($1,600) I might as well have set fire to and at least kept warm for a few seconds.

lol I love that. It sounds like something my girlfriend would say, if she was funny.

I think knowing what you know now, is knowledge worth having i.e it wasn't a total waste of money. Though 3 is not exactly fast learner terriitory haha. Sorry. The new one does look good though

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have a Pre-War Irvin coming in a couple of months, so it'll be interesting to see if that lives up to the hype. If not, Sloan has a lot to answer for, although he got it right on the DB.:)

I feel I may need the services of a good lawyer here - though I'm confident the one-size-up fit will serve you well, and you'l get a load of wear out of it. The shearling is much more usable than the previous ironed type Aero used, imo. The moment the temperature drops below 5C, it's out of its storage bag.
But just you wait, first it'll be the Irvin, then you'll think 'maybe a pair of their boots', it's something you can't escape...
And much as the Maxwell is tempting, I still reckon a Rockafella is next on list. Either that or an M455a... :eeek:

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Thanks again for the kind words, guys.

Dr.Seuss, I have nothing at all against the Teamster, as for a long time it was my favourite jacket. I got two Stockmans after the Teamster and they came to be my go-to longer jacket simply because of their pure simplicity of cut and look and also because of the useful pockets. . . .

I traded in the Teamster because it rode the middle ground, neither short nor long.

wdw:

Understand completely. Perhaps a quiver of three (Maxwell, Teamster and ??????) is in my future! Short, middle and long....I ponder the weight of a FQHH "long" coat for someone 6'4"..................?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
wdw:

Understand completely. Perhaps a quiver of three (Maxwell, Teamster and ??????) is in my future! Short, middle and long....I ponder the weight of a FQHH "long" coat for someone 6'4"..................?

Obviously, as a relative short-ass (5ft 9") my Aeros aren't in the same league weight-wise, but generally once the things on your shoulders, you should be fine. If you're still concerned about the weight, I would go with a Barnstormer or similar belted jacket, which will help spread the weight.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Obviously, as a relative short-ass (5ft 9") my Aeros aren't in the same league weight-wise, but generally once the things on your shoulders, you should be fine. If you're still concerned about the weight, I would go with a Barnstormer or similar belted jacket, which will help spread the weight.

Sloan:

Interesting that you should choose the Barnstormer. That was the coat/jacket which truly caught my eye, when first looking at the AERO lineup.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice Maxwell wdw, fit is on the button too.

Sloan:

Interesting that you should choose the Barnstormer. That was the coat/jacket which truly caught my eye, when first looking at the AERO lineup.

I have an Aero Barnstormer in FQHH and absolutely love the thing. It's actually quite a versatile coat. The belt is removable and worn off changes the look and vibe of it. I now wear mine mostly sans belt.

It's also the one jacket/coat of mine which has received the most compliments from random strangers.

vagabond

New in Town
The Barnstormer looks absolutely gorgeous (in pictures on the web) and would be my long jacket of choice if I ever get around to getting one. I'm also curious how heavy it would feel on my 6'5" frame, but my FQHH 50's halfbelt doesnt't feel heavy on my shoulders at all so that certainly wouldn't stop me. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Whenever I see them a Barnstormer at Aero, part of me always thinks 'maybe next time...' :D

Do it, you won't regret it ;)

The Barnstormer looks absolutely gorgeous (in pictures on the web) and would be my long jacket of choice if I ever get around to getting one. I'm also curious how heavy it would feel on my 6'5" frame, but my FQHH 50's halfbelt doesnt't feel heavy on my shoulders at all so that certainly wouldn't stop me. :)

I'm 6' 1'' and mine weighs 2.7kg or roughly 6 lbs. I've never had a problem with wearing it. It's substantial but in no way uncomfortable, quite the opposite actually, a real joy to wear.

Edward

Bartender
Whenever I see them a Barnstormer at Aero, part of me always thinks 'maybe next time...' :D

Yeah... if they could but add around 12" to itso it could be worn over a suit jacket, I could see me in one of those over the Winter. I suspect the shearling lining would be overkill, but a wool blanket lining and a good, long mouton collar a la Von Richthoffen... Could totally see me in that.

wdw

One Too Many
Update

To update this thread - my original Maxwell developed a crease across the back for some unknown reason, so Aero kindly agreed to a complete remake. I think the original will be coming up for sale, so should be a bargain for someone less fussy than me.:eek:

As well as that, it turned out my original was 0.5" shorter than standard, due to a misunderstanding, so this one is definitely the standard length for a 40", coming in at 25" back length. I'm happier with this length now, even though the difference is subtle.

The final change was to the lining. I asked for something light coloured, ideally black and white which I like on my black Stockman, but was told that there was none of that available. Lo and behold, when it turned up it had a black and white lining. I couldn't be happier with this outcome, so thanks to Aero for sorting it out so quickly, and so well. Here's the new pics, including a blatant tourist one of my home town:

Edward

Bartender
I do like that Maxwell... I'm feeling the need for a button-front leather jacket in the next year or two...

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
wdw: As before, very nice! A remake, simply for a "crease?" Outstanding service. :eusa_clap

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric, that Maxwell looks great and am happy you were able to work out the problematic issues with your earlier one.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed unsightly creases taking shape simply for storing jackets upright in a slightly folded position (within the course of hours) I used to stand my jacket up in the corner of the room-now I lay it flat every time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld