Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ADAM ALLEY

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950's ADAM Crusader

I searched through the whole thread, Billy, and I didnt see any Adam Crusader's, so I think we have a new model to add to the list. I just got this hat over the weekend. It was a ebay, buy it now. The hat was really dirty and dusty and when I got it, but it cleaned up great and now I would say its pretty near mint. The felt is very lightweight and I would imagine that this hat was meant for summer due to the liner. The liner tip is a regular tip, but the liner itself is some sort of ventilated mesh. I wore the hat yesterday when the sun was shinning and it was about 70 degrees outside, and it managed to keep my head cool. I love the ribbon. Heres some pics:

05092011411.jpg

05092011428.jpg

05092011429.jpg

05092011413.jpg

05092011417.jpg

05092011414.jpg

05092011423.jpg

05092011420.jpg

05092011418.jpg

05092011419.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I've seen that same mesh liner on a Playboy. Good stuff.
Well done Josh, that's superb!
Very nice, Josh, it's the same as my gray one I wore last week, same liner with mesh, aqua shed, etc. What color is yours, light brown?

Thanks, Guys! I think I saw that post last week, hatophile, but I didnt put two and two together. I really like the gray alot. The color of mine is kind of hard to describe. Adam called it "Tree Tan" but I would say that its kind of like a darker Khaki. The ribbon is like a copper and gold alternating stripe. Is yours called an "Crusader" as well?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
A pair of beautiful Crusaders, Josh, Perry. Very attractive ribbons on both lids.

Thanks very much, delectans! I like that Adam chose to go with a mesh liner to keep the hat a "featherweight" summer hat and just didn't leave the liner out like many Champ Featherweights. I feel that even a mesh liner looks nicer and slightly more "higher end" than no liner at all.

Thanks, Guys! I think I saw that post last week, hatophile, but I didnt put two and two together. I really like the gray alot. The color of mine is kind of hard to describe. Adam called it "Tree Tan" but I would say that its kind of like a darker Khaki. The ribbon is like a copper and gold alternating stripe. Is yours called an "Crusader" as well?

You know, to be honest, I'm not sure. When I get home tonight I will check under the band.
I have another one like those that is a very light gray, that one I got from Johnny Phi.

Josh,

The dark gray hat in my photo is indeed a "Crusader". I have another one that is a very light gray, called Sterling. I will get some photos of that soon to post here. They are good-looking hats IMO.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1930's Adam

This is one of two hats that I bought from a seller on ebay who gave me a buy-it-now price for both. It looks like my "two hats a month" was completely blown in less than 2 days. Oh well. This hat came pretty much crushed and had a really tight pinch in front which can still be seen even after a very heavy steaming. The felt where the hat was pinched has worn thin, but is still holding strong. There is a good amount of shellac in the felt and is pretty easy to shape. The sweatband has become detatched in a couple palces, but its still a nice piece to add to my pre-1940 collection. Even though its a 7 1/8, I think I will keep this one and add it to the permanent collection.

DSC05416.jpg

DSC05417.jpg

DSC05421.jpg

DSC05412.jpg

DSC05415.jpg

DSC05426.jpg

DSC05423.jpg

DSC05427.jpg

DSC05409.jpg

DSC05410.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I had a Playboy with a mesh liner like that in 336 (but without the plastic top). I sold it to another Lounger and he may have posted pics around here somewhere. Clever design.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I had a Playboy with a mesh liner like that in 336 (but without the plastic top). I sold it to another Lounger and he may have posted pics around here somewhere. Clever design.

I think it was extremely cleaver especially for people that wanted a cooler hat but didn't want to pull out the liner. I would be really interested to see pictures of that Playboy.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Late 40's/Early 50's Adam Executive Mr. Main Street 7 1/8

This is the second of two hats that I bought from a seller on ebay who gave me a buy-it-now price for both. I have only seen this model in vintage hat adds. I have to tell you, this hat is MINT. Its about as NOS as they come. There is not one stain, moth nibble, wrinkle, or anything. The only thing is on the sweatband the previous owner took a pencil and wrote 4 numbers, but that should come off with a littler leather cleaner. I'm not going to try though. The color is the most amazing shade of grey/tan with green undertones. Then the very wide edge binding is a copper color which is quad stitched. The ribbon has just an outstanding texture. ADAM took so much care to design this hat, that the wind trolley button color matches the edge binding, not the ribbon color. The felt is smooth and firm. This is an A+ hat. I know that a major opinion around the lounge is that ADAM was a second rate hat, but I have to tell everyone. This hat is every bit as good quality as any 50's era comparable price point Stetson that Ive handled, possibly even better. This hat is a bigger 7 1/8 and doesn't really fit me, so I'm not going to keep it. I should be posting it on ebay either today or tomorrow. This is one of the BEST ADAMs that Ive ever handled.

DSC05438.jpg

DSC05439.jpg

DSC05437.jpg

DSC05429.jpg

DSC05428.jpg

DSC05430.jpg

DSC05432.jpg

DSC05441.jpg

DSC05440.jpg

DSC05443.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics