Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yours for the cost of shipping - Double Breasted Blazer

RSteve

New in Town
In my 40s and 50s I was slightly taller than 5'8" and often cheated a bit with shoe lifts. It required that I usually wear a regular in a suit coat, rather than a short. Now, in my mid 60s; following two discectomy/laminectomies, I'm closer to 5'7" and a regular looks like I'm wearing a topcoat.

Several years ago, I purchased a Land's End double breasted blazer, size 40R. I always wear a 42, but this one ran quite huge, so a 40 was of ample size. For some inexplicable reason, I never had the blazer tailored to fit me and it's been resting in my closet for several years. It's old enough, perhaps 10 years, that there's no tag that says country of manufacture, nor fabric. I would guess that it's 100s fine wool gabardine, often considered year round weight. It is fully lined, double vent, and brass buttons.

I'd totally forgotten that I had it until yesterday, when I was moving winter clothes to another closet and bringing summer clothing into a bedroom closet.

My first impulse was to see if Land's End still carried this jacket and, if permissible, exchange it for something that will fit my current size. I phoned and spoke to a customer service representative. The response made my head spin.
"Sir, we guarantee that you'll be happy with anything you purchase from Land's End. If this garment is defective in any way, sent it to us, and we will replace it or refund your purchase price.
I replied that jacket was never worn, in perfect, as-new condition, but just didn't fit me. I was transferred to a customer service supervisor, who was very polite, but seemed befuddled by my query.
Sir, you don't know how long you've had the jacket, have no receipt, and can't find an identifying SKU number?
I don't know any of that and the jacket is in perfect new condition. I was just wondering if I could, so-to-speak, trade it in on something that would fit me now.
If the garment was defective and didn't give you the wear and comfort you expected, please return it.
I guess what she was saying was to tear a seam or something to create an issue with the garment, then send it in for a refund. I'm not going to do that. I was going to drop it off at Goodwill this afternoon, but happened upon this thread.
Today is Saturday, April 9, 2011. The first IM to reach me by April 13th, requesting this blazer, may have it for the cost of shipping via USPS. I'll send it to you and you can reimburse me for the postage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe