Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My best play toys were my cats. My first black cat was named Blackie. My mother had gotten him as a stray and he was already older when I was born. He slept with me every night, watched TV with me, and let me dress him up in doll clothes. I would then place him in a baby carriage, and race around the house as fast as I could go. He'd just lie there and purr, he absolutely loved the attention. He died when I was 8, and was followed by another black cat, Poochie, whom was also "stroller trained" and dressed up. I loved them, and I still have a special spot in my heart for black cats.

If I had to pick two inanimate objects, they were the Little Golden Book "Charlie the Cat" and my LittleTykes kitchen. I asked for Charlie the Cat to be read to me every night for 4 years :). Charlie was a stray alley cat that wanted to find a place with long grass to play tiger in the grass. He finds a park and some children adopt him. The kitchen was wonderful, it even had a rotary dial phone.

My mother saved all my toys and clothes in a trunk and a metal wardrobe. That makes me very, very lucky.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
We had three sticks and a rock, and we had to share the rock.

Share the rock??? Man, you were poor! :D

Speaking of sticks, here in Florida there's a "tree" called the Schefflera which has two-foot long branches that are rubbery and were great for whacking the crap out of neighborhood enemies. The trees grow like weeds and have a tangy, medicinal odor to them. The branches made a cool "whoosh" sound as we whipped them at one another's heads...

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
My Grandfather's baseball glove. I actually still have it right here on my desk. It's a 1962, Roger Maris, Spalding MVP 42-397.

I remember that after my cheap second hand glove ripped out, my Grandmother gave me his. I remember that it was the only thing from home I took with me when I left for the service after basic training.

This reminds me, I have an original NFL football, before the AFL. It was called the "Duke". When Sunday football came on, they showed the Duke at the beginning of the intro.

Oh, I fondly remember Little Golden Books. My mom read to me all the time when I was young. I could read well by age 3.

My best play toys were my cats. My first black cat was named Blackie. My mother had gotten him as a stray and he was already older when I was born. He slept with me every night, watched TV with me, and let me dress him up in doll clothes. I would then place him in a baby carriage, and race around the house as fast as I could go. He'd just lie there and purr, he absolutely loved the attention. He died when I was 8, and was followed by another black cat, Poochie, whom was also "stroller trained" and dressed up. I loved them, and I still have a special spot in my heart for black cats.

If I had to pick two inanimate objects, they were the Little Golden Book "Charlie the Cat" and my LittleTykes kitchen. I asked for Charlie the Cat to be read to me every night for 4 years :). Charlie was a stray alley cat that wanted to find a place with long grass to play tiger in the grass. He finds a park and some children adopt him. The kitchen was wonderful, it even had a rotary dial phone.

My mother saved all my toys and clothes in a trunk and a metal wardrobe. That makes me very, very lucky.

A refrigerator box was a valued rarity. We'd crwal in and tilt ot upright until the bottom fell out and then played tank in it until we destroyed it which usually took most of an afternoon.

It brings to mind a cartoon I once saw in Mad Magazine or somewhere that shows a father buying his kid a fancy expensive toy that comes in a big box and the kid is more interested in playing in the box.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That's actually true. I work with people that have told me that. Instead of the toy, the kids are more interested in the box! LOL Almost makes you wish you owned a box store just for that purpose. :D
My sister owned a rock, a pet rock. Stupid toy if you ask me, but the creator Gary Dahl didn't think so, he made more than a million dollars off them!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Cardboard? You guys were wimps. The kids in my neighborhood once dragged home a rusted-out kerosene tank from the junkyard and we used it as an all-purpose playhouse/fort/spaceship/etc. until all the mothers got sick of their offspring coming home reeking of K-1. (None of us died of it, either. But there were a few tetanus shots.)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
We used to play on neighborhood construction sites. Well, first we'd play in the empty homes and row houses that were being assembled for the land to build a big high-rise.( We'd find all sorts of stuff left behind...once a collection of the first twenty years of Playboy magazine :eek:) Then we'd watch as the old buildings were razed, sometimes rummaging through the rubble. Then we'd play in the high-rise as it was being built. ( I remeber standing in what is now a 34th floor penthouse apartment with floor to ceiling windows....which had yet to be installed..:eeek: ) Actually, we considered ourselves explorers with the part of unfriendly natives being played by police, security guards, construction workers and nosey neighbors. Those were the days my friend............

rue

Don't tell me. You were so poor your mom had to cut a hole in your pocket so you'd have something to play with

ba boom tish

There's an emoticon for that-----> :drum: :p

When my mom was having her yard redone, there were huge piles of sand for the cement and my brother and I would have a blast playing in them with his Tonka trucks.... closest thing we ever got to snow in Southern California :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The best thing ever was digging through the old dumps- on my parents farm they had several. Bedsprings, broken glass, bottles and containers still sealed and intact with things that are no longer sold (like Arsenic)... My mother used to send me out with a couple of empty bags, a pair of gloves, and tell me to go "play" (clean) in the junk piles.

We lived near a high high wooden railroad trestle that had been covered in dirt. I distinctly remember a challenge with the neighborhood kids on how far we could ride bikes on top of the rail. The farther you got on the rail, the higher the trestle from where we climed up. 100 feet down a steep grade dodging trees that grew every two feet with a 4-foot fence 20 feet from the bottom of the near cliff. Normally you chickened out and dumped your bike the minute you fell off the rail, going down in the gravel. You hear "crash, crash, crash" as your bike hits the trees going down, and then a sickening"BANG!" when it hit the fence at the bottom.

After a few failed attempts to get more than 20 feet riding our bikes, we decided the more sensible contest was how far you could *run* on the rail.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
there were huge piles of sand for the cement and my brother and I would have a blast playing in them with his Tonka trucks....
Riveting ...simply riveting......

.........................................................................................................................................................................................:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82