Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Strange,..I had quite forgotten my original post from so long ago, which mentioned Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots,...and here I just made another post regarding same. [huh] Strange.
Anyway, I think the top 3 toy companies from the day were, Marx, Mattel, and Hasbro. These 3 companies made the coolest toys as I recall. Any others that you recall? Remind us please. :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
A local bar keeps a bunch of games for patrons to play, including Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots. Turns out not to be as much fun as I remember back in the day.[huh]

I think you have to be a young boy to think it's fun. My boys, 9 and 12, love Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I had–still have it, actually–the Mego version of the Navarone. Got it at Christmas, 1981. The box, which I still have despite it being sun faded has a 1981 copyright date. Mine was black in color but was otherwise exactly like the earlier gray version.

I also had a European front playset called “Battleground.” It came with pontoon bridge, rolled barbwire barriers, pillboxes, mines, and I believe German and American soldiers. Combined with the Navarone, one could have quite a war. My friend had the gray Navarone and I recall bringing mine to his house while holding it with one hand and my other hand steering the bicycle. Great times. Always liked that lower level garage door that opened.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
My Grandfather's baseball glove. I actually still have it right here on my desk. It's a 1962, Roger Maris, Spalding MVP 42-397.

I remember that after my cheap second hand glove ripped out, my Grandmother gave me his. I remember that it was the only thing from home I took with me when I left for the service after basic training.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Cap guns and BB pistols... I still have a pair of Nichols' Stallion 45s in their original boxes with the spare grips and a pair of holsters my dad made as a Christmas present in 1957...

DNO

One Too Many
Showing my age: a large set of Britain's Grenadier Guards. Think I still have one or two survivors around here somewhere.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Toys to me were sacred. As a child of the 50's, I enjoyed cars, planes, trucks, construction vehicles like dump trucks, cranes and bull dozers. The bigger they were, the better I liked them. I also built a lot of model airplane and car kits. My all time favorite toy was my Kidillac pedal car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82