Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
if you have a new-in-box 7JP4 cathode-ray tube in your attic, you've got an item worth several hundred dollars and plenty of people willing to buy it.

I get over $100 for a working USED 7JP4 when I have one. I have five or six (good used) 10BP4 tubes put back for future use, as the only sets I generally bother with all use this early tube. I am also holding on like grim death to a couple of new in box 10FP4 tubes, the aluminized, high contrast version of the 10" picture tube.

As far as I remember the 90's and 2000's, the good-quality tube-TV's from the best brands reached an age around 20, before getting "defective contact", breaking down or whatever.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when you see something like this which
you haven’t done in a while but feel lucky that you still remember
the passion you got out of it when you did.

xbec14.jpg

And for those who never had it or have no use for it.

My condolences! ;)

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
@LizzieMaine

Is this spicing at the ends or charred?

It's a combination. Real pastrami is beef brisket carefully spiced and then very slowly smoked. There is nothing on earth like it, served hot on rye bread with Gulden's mustard, and a pickle on the side.

If I hadn't eaten a whole basket of fried clams for lunch, I'd be having a pastrami sandwich right now. As it is, the clams will probably keep me up tonite.

It's a combination. Real pastrami is beef brisket carefully spiced and then very slowly smoked. There is nothing on earth like it, served hot on rye bread with Gulden's mustard, and a pickle on the side.

If I hadn't eaten a whole basket of fried clams for lunch, I'd be having a pastrami sandwich right now. As it is, the clams will probably keep me up tonite.

What is really amazing is the people who get older and don't have this. My Dad died at 64, but could eat a big, heavy meal late and go to bed with no issues until he was 63 (64 he was sick with cancer). I'm 52 and for several years now, I can't eat heavy meals - the eating-a-heavy-meal gene, clearly, did not pass through to me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's the grease that gets me -- too much grease and the cramps become intolerable.

Oddly enough, I know two young women -- one in her early thirties, one in her mid-twenties, who have full blown gall bladder attacks when they eat grease. I always thought of gall bladder disease as something for bacon-eating old men, but apparently it's on the rise among young women. Scientists need to explore this further.

And I still want a pastrami sandwich.

Seems to be still relate to european combinations. Here, a classic is blood-sausage on a slice of usual greybread with mustard on top and gherkins aside, too.

It's the grease that gets me -- too much grease and the cramps become intolerable.

Oddly enough, I know two young women -- one in her early thirties, one in her mid-twenties, who have full blown gall bladder attacks when they eat grease. I always thought of gall bladder disease as something for bacon-eating old men, but apparently it's on the rise among young women. Scientists need to explore this further.

Some years ago, maybe ten, there was a german TV-show about health/nutrition. But the show was more specific on health than nutrition. I remember they saying, that medicine sees more and more US-teenagers of age 12/13 with already "cicatrised" livers (!) like sick older adults.

And I still want a pastrami sandwich.

What works for me, is small portions. I can, for example, still have a cheeseburger and fries as long as - I kid you not - I eat half of what they put on my plate. So, if it's an 8oz burger, I'll immediately cut it in half and only eat half. Same with the fries - I can eyeball it - but half a regular portion is usually fine. At home, we now make portions that fit our shrunken appetites.

I will say this, when I'm done eating, for 5 or so minutes, I want to eat more - but I've learned to resist. But the funny thing is, once those minutes pass, I feel really good - satisfied but not stuffed. Also, I don't suffer later and I'm glad I didn't eat more, nor do I even want it anymore. It took me awhile to figure out what works for me - and I have no idea if it will work for you or others, but what I like is that I can still eat the things I like, just less of them at one meal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82