Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when you remember this happening
in your home in the mornings.
iy0f7r.png

Does anyone remember the “multi-vitamin” milk
that came in dark brown glass bottles?

Last edited:
You know, that you are 30+, if you have the daily choice, which jacket to wear and, with increased frequency, you are choosing the rhombus-quiltet jacket, the last time. ;););)

But luckily, NOT the "evil" Barbour Liddesdale jacket!! :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I remember making these in my teens.
I bought the strips at the hobby shop.
Available in assorted colors.
Sometimes I would add a marble in between the braiding.
24b3o7c.jpg

Pre-teen years:
2elyq9f.png

Also this ...thanks to my 5 sisters.
2r7wutl.jpg

I was never as good as my sisters, but I managed to keep up with them.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^
I’m not sure how you meant “when the day comes that I decide I had enough”

I hope you meant to take it easy & enjoy life!

I see you have lots of “likes” on your avatar...

Be a shame to see you go ! :)

^^^^^
I’m not sure how you meant “when the day comes that I decide I had enough”

I hope you meant to take it easy & enjoy life!

I see you have lots of “likes” on your avatar...

Be a shame to see you go ! :)
Thanks for the compliment but I meant retirement from working. I work for myself now & have the luxury of taking only the jobs I want & working with the people I want. It's taken me yrs to get to this point so I'm not ready to give that all up just yet, but that day will eventually come.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I can remember when milk was delivered door-to-door and when a big innovation in milk delivery consisted of an insulated metal box where the milk was left. In the wintertime, if it was cold enough and you didn't bring in the milk quickly enough, the milk would freeze and push the paper stopper up an inch or so. It must have had to be pretty cold to do that.

We had a paperboy when we first moved to the house where we live now, almost 30 years ago. Then the newspaper, the Washington Post, decided to eliminate neighborhood delivery boys and use people with cars. The paper boy, who lived somewhere in the neighborhood, wrote a long letter explaining the new arrangement and thanking everyone for their patronage. It was a fantastically well-written letter with mention of how he knew about all the houses with automatic lights, delivering papers when it was snowy and so on.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Two of my early “kid" jobs.
Delivering milk & newspapers.

On the milk truck, there was only one seat for the driver (adults)
I would hold on to the side & stand or sit by the front compartment.
Milk was in glass bottles & the multi-vitamin type was in a dark brown color.

I used my western flyer to deliver the papers. I had a canvas bag on
the rear bike carrier.
I got pretty good at pitching the paper where I wanted it to land.

Only problem was dogs.....there was a “gadzillion” of them on every street.

Also worked for Dr.Pepper & Coca-Cola bottling companies.
My job was to gather all the “empties”....put them on the back of the soda truck
& carrying in the wood cases full of soda water bottles.
In time, I was able to carry one case on each hand.

Back then in the hot summers, during a bouncing of the truck, I could hear some
of the bottles exploding. (Carbonation gas)
And the bottle caps had cork inside. Sometimes I would collect the caps &
fix them on my baseball cap.

From my days as a kid growing up in the ‘’fabulous fifties” :D

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The worst job I ever had in my life was sorting empty deposit bottles in a shed behind a grocery store. In the winter there was no heat, and that was bad enough, but in the summer the stench from spoiled beer was unbearable, and the sugar residue from the soda attracted a horror movie population of flies. We had dozens of strips of flypaper hanging from the rafters, which you'd get caught in from time to time yourself, and the smell they generated was almost as bad as the beer.

The frosting on that particular cake was that the shed leaked, and when it rained it would flood -- you'd be out there sorting bottles in water up to your ankles. A pair of fishing boots was de rigueur on such days to go along with the slaughterhouse apron and the leather gloves. Ah, happy days.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
Besides the back of the grocery stores where the empty soda water
bottles were kept, there also was the bars & night clubs.
My job was to sort out the beer bottles from the soda bottles.

Foul smelling sticky, yucky beer bottles
on a hot Texas summer, with flies & huge skeeters biting
that every time I pass by a club, saloon or plant...
reminds me of those places.

Oh happy days indeed! :D

Last edited:
The worst job I ever had in my life was sorting empty deposit bottles in a shed behind a grocery store. In the winter there was no heat, and that was bad enough, but in the summer the stench from spoiled beer was unbearable, and the sugar residue from the soda attracted a horror movie population of flies. We had dozens of strips of flypaper hanging from the rafters, which you'd get caught in from time to time yourself, and the smell they generated was almost as bad as the beer.

The frosting on that particular cake was that the shed leaked, and when it rained it would flood -- you'd be out there sorting bottles in water up to your ankles. A pair of fishing boots was de rigueur on such days to go along with the slaughterhouse apron and the leather gloves. Ah, happy days.

Memories of my early years with the Old Man aren't generally fond ones, but among the rare few that honestly are involve his beer route.

He sold Pabst Blue Ribbon to taverns and small groceries in rural Wisconsin, and on the occasional summer day I and perhaps one of my brothers would join him. The storerooms and walk-in reefers in those little country taverns (half of which were on a lake, it seemed) often had a smell of spilled beer. Maybe it's because that wasted beer didn't accumulate or ripen that I actually liked the smell. Still do.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
My way of putting it is to say that the only reason something doesn't hurt is because it's numb--and everything itches.

It really isn't that bad, frankly. I still get up and go to work in the morning and I'll be 70 in August. If I quit work, then what?

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
You must not be married.

When I think about some of my favorite books, ones that I read over and over again, from Thoreau to Kephart to Dick Proenneke, I finally realized they were nearly all written by men who had never married or essentially lived apart from their wives. I'm not sure what to make of that fact but being married and having a family is one reason I never did any of the things they wrote about, nor did my father. It also occurs to me that my wife's cousin is a writer and footloose. He did get married and lived overseas (Egypt) for quite a while but finally divorced. His wife decided that he really wasn't good husband material after all.

That's why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken