Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will I luck out, or just make out

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Curiousity got the best of me, so I just purchased this hat. I am not an Adams Man, and know very little about them. The photos are not glamor shots, the description is not overwhelming, but there was something tempting about it. It is described as a 50's hat, but I have my doubts. Between the wind trolly, no apparent plastic to protect the top of the liner and the suggested liner being sewn in. These were the items that peaked my intrest. Any thoughts form the forum?

xxphujmju10.jpg

xxphujmju11.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&item=300012022437&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

This auction is over, I won the bid, so there should be no qualms at posting this link. At least I hope not.

The real Henry

Practically Family
After seeing the lining, I'd also never say that it's from the 50s. The felt seems to be pretty thin and a very strange thing is that the ribbon darker than the bound edge(maybe it has been replaced!). I wonder if has much front taper, but I think for 20$ it can't be a bad deal!;)

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I will be waiting with great anticipation on its arrival. Hopefully JamesP will weigh in on this thread, he seems to have vast knowledge on these topics. I like you feel that I can't go very wrong with the price so low.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
so what are you going to do with it?

reblock and reshape it, or just wear it as a beater?

It looks like it could be a really nice hat if you cleaned it up.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I guess it all depends on what it looks like when in hand. The plan is to clean and steam. I have been wanting one this color, so I just don't know. I guess I will put it into the best shape possible. The only hat that I don't wear, is a Stetson 10 that was new back stock. I may wear it yet, but for now, it is just for admiration purposes.

I'm bettin' it'll clean up nicely, hats4me. I've been staying away from eBay lately. Good thing, or I may have gotten in a bid on that one, seeing how my collection of OR and OR-like lids is Adam-less, and that state of affairs just ain't right. Still, I'm glad you got it at a reasonable price.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It looks pretty worn, to be rudely honest, ...

It looks in poor shape, so I hope you didn't invest a lot. I hate to say this....and maybe I am wrong. But look at the liner, and the attachment stitching to the sweatband. The thread is pulling from the bottom of the leather. You likely will find that the hat sweatband is brittle.

The crown of the hat...well, it looks like even with a soak, clean, and block, there is permanent creases in the felt.

The ribbon, looks like toast.

Again....when buying a hat, possibly on Ebay? or at an estate sale? remember that all the components, like sweat, liner, ribbon ...can be changed. THe FELT is the issue. I hope it doesn't have mothing..

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It has potential. One can only wait and see. Could be a simple cleaning & reblock, or it could be more, it's ahrd to say. But for 20 skins you can't go wrong. Congratulations!

Cheers!

Dan

It looks like an Adam Executive to me. They had better felt and accoutrements than the standard Adam fare. Adam and Champ were the low cost hats of the time. the Executive might have cost about $7 - 10 new. That was a far cry from the Stetson 15s, 25s, 50s and 100s. :D
The pictures are not all that clear but the liner can be cleaned, the felt cleaned and reblock and the sweatband either resewn or replaced. It just depends what you want to do with the hat. If I met up with the same hat in my size, i would buy it and have it all rebuilt. I don't think its impossible and the price was more than fair. ;) Even spending a little money on it to get it class A again would still be less with far better felt than an off the rack hunk made today. Enjoy it. Let us know when it comes in.

Regards,

J

hats4me said:
Any idea as to the years produced, or what this one may be?

You are probably looking at early to mid fifties if I had to hazzard a guess. My guess is that it is an Executive model.
You don't really see many around to compare because Adam hats were usually worn to the point that they were used up. The same is true of the Champ brand. Finding one of them in a larger size, wide brim and in good condition is nearly impossible. They were worn and those people really got their money's worth. :D

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You don't really see many around to compare because Adam hats were usually worn to the point that they were used up. (...) Finding one of them in a larger size, wide brim and in good condition is nearly impossible. They were worn and those people really got their money's worth. :D

Regards,

J

Oh really? OK, gotta bust out the digital camera again. Brace yourselves!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally