Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will I luck out, or just make out - UPDATE

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Well here it is, a good cleaning and some steam and this is what I have. I would say , that I have lucked out. I wore it today for the first time and got many positive comments. I still need to do some work on the liner, its pretty dirty. On the other hand, here in Texas a hat without a liner is quite a bit cooler. I have a new appreciation for Adams, this hat is actually quite nice. The original price tag was found when I Lexol'd the sweatband, $7.50 new. The ribbon and binding is a unusual rust color and contrast nicely against the rich brown body. The top photo is very close to actual colors.
MVC-423F-1.jpg

MVC-424F.jpg

Nicely done

Great job.

I found a black OR on-line and when I received it, it hadn't been packed very well (no hatbox) and was somewhat rumpled. The liner got a couple of Woolite soakings and the hat got some steam and shaping.

Steam and perseverance do work wonders.

You did an admirable job getting the hat back in shape.

ideaguy

One Too Many
WOW. I was hemming & hawing over this when I saw it, didn't think I
could make it look like anything I'd really want to wear, and you went
and scored-that's one sweet looking hat, love the color! If you decide
it isn't you, and you want to...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I am quite happy with the hat. I noticed when cleaning how long the tag ends on the bow are. They seem to be as long as those on a western hat, rather than a fedora. Not sure if that would help discern the hats age.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Thanks to all. Credit must be given where credit is due. All the technics and how to's in hat restoration were learned right here in the lounge. That and practice, practice, practice.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Royal Stetson Open Road that apparently was the victim of some fool using spray adhesive to hold in the liner. The liner didn't look like it really matched the hat, either. I pulled it out and the whole inside of the crown is sticky. The hat's as stiff as a board, too, and I'm not sure it's because of the glue.

I wonder what'll take that crap out. The hat's decent, otherwise, although it needs the sweatband restitched.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
I have a Royal Stetson Open Road that apparently was the victim of some fool using spray adhesive to hold in the liner. The liner didn't look like it really matched the hat, either. I pulled it out and the whole inside of the crown is sticky. The hat's as stiff as a board, too, and I'm not sure it's because of the glue.

I wonder what'll take that crap out. The hat's decent, otherwise, although it needs the sweatband restitched.

Hey Broseph, in the graphic design world we use a solvent that cuts through spray mount like a hot knife through butter. "Bestine" is a rubber cement solvent available in any art store.

I would put some on a cloth and wipe the inside until it comes out

If that stuff wont do it I dont know what will.

Good luck.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
BigSleep might have the idea for you - if not, I'd bet that naphtha would remove it. My only fear about a naphtha dunk would be spreading the adhesive into the felt rather than removing it - so I'd probably try a wipe-off first.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That's a great looking lid! That color combination is really sharp.

Break down your process for us. Did you strip it for cleaning, or just surface clean and rebash? I've been trying to rebash my OR using steam, but some of those creases just don't want to go! I'm always curious as to how you guys get those incredible bashes.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
That's a great looking lid! That color combination is really sharp.

Break down your process for us. Did you strip it for cleaning, or just surface clean and rebash? I've been trying to rebash my OR using steam, but some of those creases just don't want to go! I'm always curious as to how you guys get those incredible bashes.

Thanks Jack, I like the color combination as well. As for what I did, pretty simple
1- look the hat over and assess what needs to be done
2- remove liner to be soaked and may reinstall later
(hot here in Texas, this hat wears like a summer weight like this)
3- vacuum the hat inside and out
4- brush hat inside and out
5- vacuum once again
8- this hat was not stained, but at this point deal with it as is needed
9- steam hat and return it to an open crown, work it slowly,
time spent here will save twice the time later
10- I usually give it a day to rest between cleaning and steaming
11- Now the fun starts, slowly work the crown style that you want,
gradually work your way down the hat.

I think, that one must enjoy what they are doing, as something tedious like this could become a real chore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally