Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
AMC Matador; Ole'

Maj.Nick Danger said:
This, and the "oil crises" were the reasons that AMC produced all those small hippy cars in all those hippy colors. Hippy targeted marketing,...:D

Which brings us to that other pig of AMC and the 1970's; The Matador with it's Barcelona interior.:eek:

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many

For 1973, recoverable bumpers able to withstand a 5 mph impact in the front and a 2.5 mph impact in the rear debuted according to federally mandated regulations. Gremlins also received the option of a Levi's interior trim package, which included spun nylon upholstery made to look like real denim, but for fire safety regulations, could not be. It featured such details as removable map pockets, burnished copper denim rivets, and red Levi's logo tabs.

The horrific details.:eek:

int1.JPG

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
RedPop4 said:
We had a 1972 Ambassador, 1974 Matador (2 door), then the Pacers. lol lol lol

Your folks must have liked the salesman at the dealership. That's quite a run of the same make.:)

AMC actually was a compact car manufacturer since 1955 when Nash/Kelvinator and Hudson merged. The Ambassador was a compact with a V-8 in the late '50s early '60s. The later models were mid-sized cars meant to compete with the Ford Fairlane/Torino, Chevrolet Malibu.

My grandpa had one of the Rambler American (or is it American Rambler???) in the early '70s then he bought that obscure make and model; Toyota Crown.:eek:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The AMC Matador two-door also had an Oleg Cassini model.

Let's not forget those other hefers from the Chrysler Corporation; the 1975-1978 New Yorker/Imperial, Grand Fury and the Monaco.:eek:

1970 Ford Mercury. Made like they threw parts at an assembly line. :eusa_doh: The thing leaked oil like a sieve until my father actually took a day off from work to babysit down at the dealership. The mechanic couldn't figure out where the oil was leaking from with all his mirrors and kit. It was obviously leaking down both sides of the block below the heads! The fools in the facvtory forgot to torque down the heads! :eusa_doh:
I won't even go into how ugly, green and piggish it was. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
351 C with the functional ram induction like a Boss 351.

It's an oddly optioned car, the first owner was the son of a Ford salesman.
This Mustang has an unusual manual quick steering box, I bought the car back in 1980, after finding it in a garage where it had sat for five years, the owner drove it until the clutch burned up and parked it.

I intend to take the car with me.:D

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
The Chevy Vega.:eek: Nasty. Then there was the '67 to '73 Malibu, whatever they called the mid-sized Pontiac, Cutlass and Skylarks four doors. All spelled OLD LADY!
And the Ford Maverick,...equally as nasty and thankfully short lived. :rolleyes:
But how about the much overlooked Chevy Nova? Even though it was a lower end model, it was still a deceptively fast and reliable car.

Rafter

Suspended
Maj.Nick Danger said:
And the Ford Maverick,...equally as nasty and thankfully short lived. :rolleyes:

FordMaverick.jpg

The Maverick was around for 9 miserable years... it was not so short lived!!
There were four-door Mavericks and two-doors. There was a Mercury version called the Comet. There were vinyl-topped models, too.
What they had in common was that they were built on platform designs heavily prone to rust (this was the early days of unit-body cars) and weak-kneed in-line six engines. But the cars were cheap and therefore, popular, especially in the gas-crisis years. Not that I think the Maverick is necessarily as bad as what came afterward--the abysmal Fox-platform Futura/Fairmont, and the Grenada, which was still based on the Maverick platform, and so carried forward all the bad-handling traits and massive rustability to boot.

Lincsong said:
Nasty, whatever they called the mid-sized Pontiac, Cutlass and Skylarks.
All spelled OLD LADY!
One of the cars I own is a 1976 Cutlass Supreme, and she's still a gleaming
beauty!! The 70's Cutlass was never an "old lady".
I would certainly call most of today's drab Japanese-clones "old ladies".

Oldsmobile.jpg

Absinthe_1900 said:
351 C with the functional ram induction like a Boss 351.

It's an oddly optioned car, the first owner was the son of a Ford salesman.
This Mustang has an unusual manual quick steering box, I bought the car back in 1980, after finding it in a garage where it had sat for five years, the owner drove it until the clutch burned up and parked it.

I intend to take the car with me.:D

The 351 C is a much better engine without all the cooling problems the W had. :eusa_doh:
Geez, I wish my wife's 73 Mach 1 was so loved. It has the 351C but it just can't stop seeing the mechanic. The damned thing has never given uninterupted service for longer than a month. :eusa_doh: This is from a car that had only 25,000 miles on it when I bought it. Right now its sitting in the mechanic's yard because no one can figure out why it just dies after you run it over 65 for twenty minutes. After replaciong nearly every working part on the damned thing the mechanic is even stumped. He's had it for over a month now and it still dies on him! :eusa_doh:
Conversely, I drive my 57 GMC truck every single day and it never complains. [huh]

Regards,

J

P.S. Did I mention how ugly the 1970s Lincolns were too?:eusa_doh:

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
That sounds strange, I had a 73 Mustang fastback before I got the Mach-1, it was a reliable car, other than being a magnet for Buick Skylarks hitting it. You'd think a bright red car would be easy to see.

Does the 73 have a stock engine? (Maybe look at the old EGR valve)

On my 71, I removed the factory carb and intake, and replaced it with an older aluminum intake to work with the ram air ducting and added a Holley carb.

Now if I could find a nice 71 / 72 urethane bumper for a reasonable price for my oldtimer, I'd be happy camper with mine. The original was damaged, and I made an ill advised descision to replace it with a chrome bumper.

I'll bet you and your wife love backing up in that '73. Only a 71-73 driver can understand that joy:eusa_doh:

Absinthe_1900 said:
That sounds strange, I had a 73 Mustang fastback before I got the Mach-1, it was a reliable car, other than being a magnet for Buick Skylarks hitting it. You'd think a bright red car would be easy to see.

Does the 73 have a stock engine? (Maybe look at the old EGR valve)

On my 71, I removed the factory carb and intake, and replaced it with an older aluminum intake to work with the ram air ducting and added a Holley carb.

Now if I could find a nice 71 / 72 urethane bumper for a reasonable price for my oldtimer, I'd be happy camper with mine. The original was damaged, and I made an ill advised descision to replace it with a chrome bumper.

I'll bet you and your wife love backing up in that '73. Only a 71-73 driver can understand that joy:eusa_doh:

It has the stock engine and the EGR has been disconnected. I thought about putting in the Ram air but I have to get it to stay running first. :eusa_doh:
Funny I should mention this today. The mechanic just called to say that he has been driving it for the past three days and it hasn't stalled on him so its "fixed" but it has been fixed before with the same results. :eusa_doh: I am at the point right now of either having the engine rebuilt and doing the whole engine compartment while I am at it or just selling it to some idiot who can get it out of my hair. ;) :p
Backing up? Yeah interesting. I always wondered why they even put a back window in. You can't see out of it anyway at that angle and position. Ah 70s automotive engineering. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82