Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find Akubras in Chicago?

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Hello,

I will be in Chicago for the new year and I'd like to find a store which stocks Akubras. This will be my first fur felt fedora so I'd really like to try before I buy. Does anyone know of a good place?

I know Hats Plus is located in Chicago, but they do not stock Akubras. They DO stock the following:
• Stetson
• Dobbs
• Biltmore
• Bailey
• Borsalino
• Christys
I'd like to hear opinions on which of these offers a fur felt hat similar in price/quality/value to Akubra.

Thanks!
Jeff

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There doesn't appear to be a Chicago retailer for Akubra. Though they don't carry Akubra, there is that nice little hat shop in Beverly.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Akubra is not a brand that us readily stocked in retail hat shops in the USA (though there are notable exceptions!)

You picked the brand that is going to be difficult to try before you buy dpending on what model you want. Some fedora models are only available via mail order from Australia.

Again, with certain exceptions, the other companies you mention are hungry, onacounta Akubra done et their LUNCH. ;)

Aerol

A-List Customer
an idea

David Morgan, davidmorgan.com , is the U.S. importer. You could contact them and ask if they sell to any stores in Chicago.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Aerol said:
David Morgan, davidmorgan.com , is the U.S. importer. You could contact them and ask if they sell to any stores in Chicago.

Or you could just click on the link that I posted above. ;)
Tomasso said:
There doesn't appear to be a Chicago retailer for Akubra.

ortega76

Practically Family
I love Biltmore, and I have my eye on a diamond crown lid from Biltmore for Christmas. I like the look of Dobbs but I don't like their quality for their price.

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
scotrace said:
Again, with certain exceptions, the other companies you mention are hungry, onacounta Akubra done et their LUNCH. ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. I will still go to Hats Direct to see if I like any of their hats in lieu of an Akubra.

Scotrace, can you explain what you mean? I'm afraid I don't follow.

Tomasso, thanks for the Biltmore recommendation. Would you say that Biltmores have a similar price/quality value as Akubras?

Viper Man, yeah I turned up that little hat shop in a forum search. Great stuff, but I am afraid those kinds of prices will have to wait though!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Insp. Bumstead said:
Thanks for the responses guys. I will still go to Hats Direct to see if I like any of their hats in lieu of an Akubra.

Tomasso, thanks for the Biltmore recommendation. Would you say that Biltmores have a similar price/quality value as Akubras?

Viper Man, yeah I turned up that little hat shop in a forum search. Great stuff, but I am afraid those kinds of prices will have to wait though!

if you ever do go there, pm me & we can meet up.
thanx!!!
Charlie

carter

I'll Lock Up
FYI - US Akubra distribution

The official Akubra website lists David Morgan Hats in Bothell, Washington as their sole US Distributor. *

http://www.davidmorgan.com/

*The official Akubra website is notorious for not being updated regularly. This is what they have posted as of 12-09-2008.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
A lot of stores here in the US have stopped carrying Akubras because the distributor (David Morgan)decided to sell them himself. As a distributor, he pays less than a retailer and can offer lower prices.
Thats an unfair advantage that caused a few stores to drop the line.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. So, it seems like there are no Akubras in Chicago, but I can live with that. I've done a Fedora Lounge search of the brands stocked by Hatsplus and it seems like Biltmore and Dobbs have the best reputations for price-to-quality ratio, while Stetson has the worst. Is this an accurate conclusion?

Bruce Wayne, I'd be glad to meet up! If I go it'll be over New Year's so I'll let you know in advance.

Thanks,
Jeff

warbird

One Too Many
Insp. Bumstead said:

Hats Direct sells Akubra hats, they are not in lieu of Akubra hats.

What he is saying is that Akubra has taken a large market share form the other mass manufacturers in the fedora world due to their exceptional quality to cost.

Dobbs and Stetson are both owned by HATCO, along with several other names like Resistol, and I would hesitate to say a new Dobbs is as good a quality as a new Stetson. The different names seem to have different general quality levels from my experience of them.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Insp. Bumstead said:
I know Hats Plus is located in Chicago
Insp. Bumstead said:
I will still go to Hats Direct to see if I like any of their hats in lieu of an Akubra.

warbird said:
Hats Direct sells Akubra hats, they are not in lieu of Akubra hats.
I think that the OP meant to say Hats Plus.

carter

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
...Dobbs and Stetson are both owned by HATCO, along with several other names like Resistol, and I would hesitate to say a new Dobbs is as good a quality as a new Stetson. The different names seem to have different general quality levels from my experience of them.
Agreed. I would rate new Stetson products ahead of Dobbs. Better selection and overall quality in the Stetson line.

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Tomasso said:
I think that the OP meant to say Hats Plus.

Yes, Hats Plus. Thanks, I got the two mixed up.

Carter, how about Stetson vs Biltmore? I am more interested in value for the money rather than absolute values.

Thanks,
Jeff

warbird

One Too Many
Insp. Bumstead said:
Yes, Hats Plus. Thanks, I got the two mixed up.

Carter, how about Stetson vs Biltmore? I am more interested in value for the money rather than absolute values.

Thanks,
Jeff

As has already been said, if your concern is money then with the value of the dollar to the Aussie Dollar, the Akubra is by far the best value out there. eriod.

Same for Biltmore as Dobbs, except I'm not sure I would put the Biltmore any better than the Stetson from my experience, and usually not less expensive..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld