Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When does a gentleman fight back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lear

One of the Regulars
docneg said:
Oh god, ANOTHER place I can't relocate. Not England! Say it ain't so!

I'm afraid so. :eek:

When at Costa Coffee I say, "I'll have a medium coffee, with hot milk in it, innit.

When at the fish & chip shop I say, "I'll have two cod and chips, sorted". For years I thought the word was salted, not sorted. I kept wondering why they'd put salt on my chips.

When seated on the underground, I'll pump one foot rapidly, like I'm hammering away at the bass drum. I'll keep this up for about 20 minutes, or until my foot falls off.

When walking down the street, I'll practice my twitchy head movements, looking rapidly from side to side, with the occasional glance behind.

This is enough to get a person started. Wish I could pull up a typical Chav picture for you.

Lear

Woland

One of the Regulars
Lear said:
I'm afraid so. :eek:

When at Costa Coffee I say, "I'll have a medium coffee, with hot milk in it, innit.

When at the fish & chip shop I say, "I'll have two cod and chips, sorted". For years I thought the word was salted, not sorted. I kept wondering why they'd put salt on my chips.

When seated on the underground, I'll pump one foot rapidly, like I'm hammering away at the bass drum. I'll keep this up for about 20 minutes, or until my foot falls off.

When walking down the street, I'll practice my twitchy head movements, looking rapidly from side to side, with the occasional glance behind.

This is enough to get a person started. Wish I could pull up a typical Chav picture for you.

Lear

Well, the lower classes should not be allowed to make a spectacle of themselves in public...
Downright offensive it is!

docneg

One of the Regulars
So when do we get to the real issue here--like when does a gentleman squash a grapefruit in a lady's face?

jamescagney.jpg

docneg said:
So when do we get to the real issue here--like when does a gentleman squash a grapefruit in a lady's face?

jamescagney.jpg

I dunno...but from just reading this weird thread..it seems some would be "too" scared to death..worried that they'd get their arse kicked....

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lear said:
So, my reply is always, "Why don't you tell me what you thought I said, and I'll tell you if that's correct". Take it from me, this never goes down well :D

So if this never goes down well, why do you keep using it? I would be miffed if someone said that to me. Try something different.

Lear said:
All of this means that events get magnified. Another man can say, 'Excuse me', and there is no issue. When I voice exactly the same words, it sounds like a command. I can't help it, it just does. I've developed techniques that lessen the insult to others, but it's hard to sustain 24/7.

If this is the case, if you realize that the tone of voice you use is what upsets people, again, try something different. Take Paisley's advice and try a Toastmasters club. Try something that will allow you to work on your demeanor and vocal intonation.

stephen1965 said:
We don't have guns widely available in England with which to shoot 'thugs'. I am relieved, for the most part that this is the case. I don't like to think of other people as 'animals' or label people as 'thugs' when they might be door to door salesmen. I don't wish to 'go on the offensive' or make 'preemptive strikes'. Neither though do I wish to be defensive or cowed. We obviously come from a different culture and I respect what you are saying. I just think that every situation merits a different thought process and an individual response. There aren't any easy answers...
When a person (Bully-robber) decides that they are willing to use physical harm or threaten death to others to take their property, or force others to do things they did not want to do, that person has given up civility and their membership in the human race.

If you do as they would have you , then you become the enabler and chances are as they go thru victims the violence and chance of greater mental, physical harm or death increases. The idea of giving in to "save" ones life then passes that danger on to your fellow human beings.

Bullies, tyrants and dictators know the value of force and the threat of it so that it can also be used against them in a rightful manner and with the idea that your self defense also then extends to those the bad guys would move against in the future. (Talking tends to do no good, talking to Stalin at the end of WWII did not do much for the people of Eastern Europe.)

Tiller

Practically Family
I was always taught by my parents that self defense, or defense of someone weaker (be they a woman, child, or a weaker guy in need who is being attacked unjustly) is the only reason to fight. I'm pretty sure that's also the only excuse that the courts will accept.

Someone takes a swing at me, or someone I care about then it's time to fight. Beyond that their is no good reason.

I haven't been in a fight since high school, and the guy I fought then is a good friend to me now lol. At 23 I imagine my fighting days are done, unless of course some moron at a bar does something sometime down the road.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
When a person (Bully-robber) decides that they are willing to use physical harm or threaten death to others to take their property, or force others to do things they did not want to do, that person has given up civility and their membership in the human race.

If you do as they would have you , then you become the enabler and chances are as they go thru victims the violence and chance of greater mental, physical harm or death increases. The idea of giving in to "save" ones life then passes that danger on to your fellow human beings.

Bullies, tyrants and dictators know the value of force and the threat of it so that it can also be used against them in a rightful manner and with the idea that your self defense also then extends to those the bad guys would move against in the future. (Talking tends to do no good, talking to Stalin at the end of WWII did not do much for the people of Eastern Europe.)

Hello John. Yes I agree they certainly have given up their civility in that case. I don't mean to excuse bullying on any scale. I also agree that Stalin was a criminal who should have been stopped somehow. I don't discount violence as a last resort. But, just wanted to mention that it's not always easy to know the good guys from the bad guys or whether a group of teenagers are 'thugs' or whether someone knocking on your door to sell something is necessarily bad. I feel slightly uneasy about knowing when to exclude people from membership of the human race. But I do agree with you for the most part.

Foofoogal

Banned

:eusa_clap I love this thinking. My number one dislike in life is an enabler of any kind.

Being from New York, or California or Texas or London or Brazil makes a big difference. We just follow the logic we know best I think.
Guns and defending oneself in Texas is like eating peanut butter with jelly. It is what one knows. After the shock wears off of anyone even remotely suggesting different the thing is going to go from there. :eek:fftopic:
Texas also has big knives. So I see not much difference but faster end with a gun maybe. Less suffering.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
I'm not a Christian, though in my experience, it seems more intelligent to 'hate the sin not the sinner'. That's why when trying to think of ways to resist or lessen violent crime it's probably not a good idea to label people 'thugs' or as less then human. Once people are 'less than human' or 'thugs' or 'scum' we're not going to get anywhere better. You can't actually get rid of them(the one's who you think are scum because they aren't as refined as you might be). Unless you are advocating the unthinkable. Sometimes one has to resist violence with violence I suppose but unless the so called 'scum' can be redeemed, what are we left with. Perpetual terror?

Foofoogal

Banned
Once people are 'less than human' or 'thugs' or 'scum' we're not going to get anywhere better.

I understand where you are coming with this and it is something to think about. The thing is though if they are people set to do you harm I don't think they care a bit what you call them.
I read alot about these type of people in your neck of the woods recently and it did seem to be a big problem. So not sure how they will handle it on your side of the pond.
Lawlessness or anarchy should be stopped by Authority. Period.
I may not want to stop at a Stop sign but it is for the good of all to do so. I see no difference.
I am a Christian and yes the Lord said to turn the other cheek but laws and our courts are based on rights and wrongs by Authority given by God. A whole can of worms on that one though.
Christians can be found guilty of not converting said persons though.
Life is not always fair but God is not caught off surprise by peoples wrong choices. However sad they may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe