Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When and where do you wear your Irvin jacket?

tweedydon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love Irvin jackets, and have for years, but I'm not sure when or where I'd wear one. (Although Jersey does get cold enough to justify them!) When and where do you wear yours? Does it get a lot of use, or not? Is it a daily wearer?

Also, how robust are the ones from Aero and Eastman? (Plenty, I'm guessing!) I'm pretty hard on jackets!

Any and all comments are very welcome!

Edward

Bartender
I wore my Irvin and B3 both a lot when I was smaller (currently need to lose 4" or so round the waist to get back into them comfortably). Anywhere I'd wear a Winter coat, really... I tended to throw them on over a collar and tie and waistcoat, and/or a wool sweater or cardigan if it got colder. Anything under ten celsius sounds about right, layering appropriately. I wore both in Beijing in December (separate trips), and you really appreciate them then!

FWIW, while I was a bit surprised when my ELC 42 pattern first arrived just how light and fragile it felt compared to my B3 (LW), I've worn it and not babied it, and never had a problem.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Start wearing both, my Irvin's and B-3's
Its approx 5deg in the morning here , next week even lower.
Just wear a long sleeve polo under it. Fits perfectly.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I started wearing my Irvin again a couple of weeks ago. As John says, once the mercury drops below 10C, I break mine out - usually in the evening at initially but by November its during the day as well. I wear my Aero multi-panel for all occasions, I've never felt out of place in it, and the thing is as robust as you're going to get for this type of jacket: they look better and better with wear.

devilish

A-List Customer
Mine almost made it's first appearance today, it was 8C. Then it started pissing down so a more waterproof coat made the trip instead. Which I was bummed about. Shouldn't be too long now though? I'll wear mine anytime it's cold and mostly dry. I get complimented on it often.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, that's the only drawback with these.... those lovely, big sheepskin collars tend to feel like wearing a wet labrador if it rains. Rainwear just wasn't part of the design brief..... Still, that's always a good chance to break out the nylons...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I used to wear mine(only ever had originals) to winter military fairs, or outdoor shows. The heater in my car packed up so it was a bit of a bonus.
Don't own any now, just some report B3s and an ANJ4, usually worn watching TV, it gets snuggly and warm and I doze off on the settee. Also great for walking dogs, building snowmen and that sort of stuff during winter time. I don't get that hot as I only ever wear a T shirt with these jackets.
Always wanted a B6 in B3 shearling though :(

bn1966

Think mine came out once last year though the D-1 put in quite a few appearances.

Given the current chill (when it's not hissing down) my BoB Irvin Type may come down from the loft this weekend :) Been missing you my old friend....

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Have a VIP protection contract in artic regions...the group scrambles against Oil drilling in reservates etc...
Will wear my Irvin , B3 and N-3A and all the needed "gear" underneath..." mingeling into the crowd"... watching the trouble makers...

CBI

One Too Many
doesn't get much more awesome than an Irvin or B-3 in winter. if you are thinking about buying one, be sure you are OK with wearing something that most people think is some outdated costume jacket in our modern world of fleece, etc. I have had great comments on my former Irvin and B-3's over the years but also strange looks and people telling me its a silly thing to wear. Also a few who questioned why I would purchase such an expensive jacket/extravagant item(in their view). Of course, this is the forum for people who love these jackets and most will tell you to wear what you like and to Hell with everyone but when things get costume-ish, you gotta question laying out the big money. There's loads of vintage I would love to wear but IMO looks ridiculous in 2017. These things get limited but fun wear and end up spending most of the time in the closet............ A-2's, vintage jeans, buccos, no problem................ Just my 2 cents. Don't get me wrong - love the big leather, at least in my part of the world, doesn't seem to work so well.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to guess that the ANJ-4 will be taken out in about a week: 5C is about my benchmark. An Irvin: that's on the list for future purchase. I love the rakish RAF look to it, but I need the top down sports car to go with it.

feltfan

Almost never, here in the SF Bay Area. Thinking of selling my WPG (originally from Spitfire) some time soon if
anyone is looking for a rather large one.

bn1966

My BoB ELC Irvin type is likely to make an appearance very soon (temp dropping over here)..'Biggles' is beyond many of the youth of today over here...I've had the odd silly comment in the past...sod em all :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If you run warm save yourself the money, unless you live in a really cold place.
I have a B3 and have worn it maybe twice in the past 10 years. Unless it's -5c i change into a sweaty mess in under 5 minutes.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
In the US Pacific NW the average winter temp is around 6 - 7 deg C (but rarely lower) so I have started wearing my ELC BoB now and then. Sometimes I wear it (unzipped) even though it is too warm just because I love it. It's great in the wind with the collar up. I wear a leather-billed tweed cap that completes the military look. My very good friend thinks I am a little off my rocker for spending so much ($400) on a jacket, but to be honest, I am a boy at heart: I would wear an officer's cap, too, if it wasn't fundamentally disrespectful or make me look like a complete dork.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
When it's cold and the wind is howling, out comes the Irvin. It and the arctic parka are my heavy winter coats/jackets. Snowblowing requires one of the two.

Worf

Mark

Practically Family
I am waiting to wear my Cirrus Irvin style jacket, just not cold enough yet. It really does not get much use but I love it anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82