Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When and where do you wear your Irvin jacket?

Deacon211

One Too Many
I must be the outlier here as I will gladly wear my Irvin in the 50s if I will be sedentary.

So, sitting on the porch or watching the dogs at the park on a misty 50 degree morning in my Irvin...fantastic!

As it drops into the low 40s and definitely the 30s, I'll wear it all the time. A nice Irvin jacket will look good with anything, even dressed up, though of course you will get the odd look from the North Face crowd.

But my ELC B-6 is 17 years old and still looks fantastic. In 17 years, my Irvin will too. Try that with a synthetic jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First Fall outing for the ELC Irvin today,

Was only about 50 degrees but I was going for a sedentary coffee & was feeling chilly due to last nights alcohol intake.

Switched to the Steve S ANJ-3 for later dog-walking. No sitting & watching the Saluki crosses, this was a leaded route-march to give myself some exercise too. Would normally get mine in the pool but the first 'cold' of the season prohibited that. Would have baked in the Irvin (might have sweated the cold out though).

Realistically it's D-1 weather over here at present.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Today...nice and sunny morning but approx. 3dec C only on a local morning flee market...in the Irvin.
This afternoon walking arround in our nice plaines and woods...B-3 (with a pocket holding a few things)

green papaya

One Too Many
I think they would make an excellent cold weather jacket to wear while riding a Harley Davidson around town on a cold winter night, because of the wind chill riding a motorcycle, but I no longer ride motorcycles [too dangerous]

for regular use it would be too warm for my climate in central CA, and would seldom get worn unless I had to spend the night outdoors or making a trip to TAHOE in the winter.

I usually wear layers instead of one heavy weight coat, maybe if i lived in some place like CANADA.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I find mine just the job for those short car journeys where the heater hasn't had time to warm the car, especially as I've often got two dogs in there so need the windows open.
Had it out for a brief wear today actually, still a bit warm though.
Hope these two buddies will never try to play with the " sheep or teddybear "...
very awesome pic, jacket and two buddies.

Reactions: Dav

bn1966

Brief cold snap..over now :)

Irvin.JPG

devilish

A-List Customer
After today's rain clears up, it looks like Irvin weather for at least the next week. 8C or below daytime highs and down to -1 some nights.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I used to wear mine only below freezing. After obtaining my Swedish M1909 shearling parka I didn't wear it at all for two winters and then sold it. When it's really cold I want some protection on my ass and legs as well, so the parka is much more suitable.

bn1966

The iconic Irvin spurred me on into the fix I'm in now! My first 'high end' jacket from ELC..look at me now Mom!!!! :)

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
My BoB ELC Irvin type is likely to make an appearance very soon (temp dropping over here)..'Biggles' is beyond many of the youth of today over here...I've had the odd silly comment in the past...sod em all :)
I would love that one of those "snot noses" ( some of todays youth) give an unrespectfull comment on my B-3 or Irvin...The end of story would be in the local newspapers...

GHT

I'll Lock Up

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure it's lovely and warm, but that is far from the perfect Irvin! In fact, it's one of the oddest I've seen here.
It wasn't meant to be authentic, whenever you see a middle aged fellow in a car like that, does he not have a ring of the 'Arfur' Daley about him. Chances are, he bought the coat down the lane. As any cockney will tell you, the lane is London's Petticoat Lane, where if you are unlucky enough to get something stolen from your person at one end of the market, if you are quick enough you can buy it back at the other end.
Arfur probably bought his and other car coats from a dodgy dealer and is now claiming that they are genuine WW2 rejects. Know-what-I-mean?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It wasn't meant to be authentic, whenever you see a middle aged fellow in a car like that, does he not have a ring of the 'Arfur' Daley about him. Chances are, he bought the coat down the lane. As any cockney will tell you, the lane is London's Petticoat Lane, where if you are unlucky enough to get something stolen from your person at one end of the market, if you are quick enough you can buy it back at the other end.
Arfur probably bought his and other car coats from a dodgy dealer and is now claiming that they are genuine WW2 rejects. Know-what-I-mean?
Had to look at that link.
Just like Aviation Leathercraft's version these look aimed at the open to sports car brigade. Not all but many driving vintage and not so vintage open top sports car drivers tend to be a little more interested in their cars and how to keep warm rather than the detail obsessed flying jacket collector.
Arthur Dayley would more than likely wear a 3/4 length 'Car Coat' (Aero used to make them) than an Irvin type I would have thought.
If you peruse vintage clothing or charity shops that don't put things like this online, or even car boot sales, the sheepskin you need to find is the 70s version as worn by "Del Boy' from Only fools and Horses. It has a singed fleece look with lots of fleece showing around edges of seams. They can be worth a few hundred, especially if large and in good condition as Fancy Dress shops use them to hire out. The earlier type are often favoured by 'Mods' and 1960s era 'skinheads'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82