Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite Pie ?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
J. M. Stovall said:
We have "House of Pies" in Houston, at least two of them. Is it the same thing? Ours is also a diner type place that's open 24 hours. Great food and they have been here as long as I can remember.

Next time I'm in Houston, I'm lookin that place up.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Family Recipe

My aunt Katherine's "candy pie." I have the only copy of the recipe. :)

It involves a graham cracker crust, cream (skimmed from the milk - not easy to find), eggs and little crumbled bits of chocolate.

It is served only at Christmastime.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love family favorites that come out on special occasions! Christmas especially, the whole family whips out some incredible desserts and dishes
Another great one is eclair...it's really easy to make too

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Mine are "da big two": Apple and Pumpkin. On occasion, I'll go Key Lime or French Silk, but if you wanna see some serious pie appreciation, make it apple or pumpkin with a big mound of whipped cream.

magneto

Practically Family
scotrace said:
My aunt Katherine's "candy pie." I have the only copy of the recipe. :)
It involves a graham cracker crust, cream (skimmed from the milk - not easy to find), eggs and little crumbled bits of chocolate.
It is served only at Christmastime.

Oooh, I like the sound of that! (Did you see that "notorious candy pie recipe" that was making the rounds recently, that had 2000~ calories/slice due to consisting mostly of Snickers bars and heavy cream?) :rolleyes:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pilgrim said:
Mine are "da big two": Apple and Pumpkin. On occasion, I'll go Key Lime or French Silk, but if you wanna see some serious pie appreciation, make it apple or pumpkin with a big mound of whipped cream.

Agreed! Nothing can top my mom's apple pie with some melting vanilla ice cream on top, except maybe my mom's carrot cake. For some reason I can never exactly reproduce either recipe. Pumpkin pie is simple enough - I'm happy if it's from a can! Squash pie too.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Veronica Parra said:
If you're ever in the Los Feliz area (in Los Angeles), go straight to the "House of Pies" on N. Vermont Avenue and order a slice of their strawberry cream pie. Unbelievably delicious!

The pies are okaaay. I go there for late night coffee every once in awhile.

BTW, that corner of the street was on Double Indemnity.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I had a delicious (and huge) slice of peach cream pie at Rio Concho Cafe & Aviation a couple of weekends ago. Rio Concho is a tiny little diner at a small local airfield - one of those places that the locals all frequent. People literally fly in just to buy their pies - thus their motto - "Pies to fly for." lol

seating.jpg

shop.jpg

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I love making pies. My favorite is apricot, sometimes I add blackberries to it. I love to eat lemon meringue but I don't make those myself.

harmonslide

New in Town
Oh, wow. Pie.

1. Key Lime. Fantastic, fantastic stuff. Definitely my favorite.
2. Apple pie. Homemade this stuff is crazy good.
3. Cherry.

There are many, many poor pie imitations out in stores. The homemade good stuff can't be beat!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
German cheesecake (it´s way more creamy than American one I heared)
Pumpkin Pie (this one I had for the first time when I was in California last year and wanna have it AGAIN)
Strawberry Pie with a loooooooot of whipped cream
Swedish Almond Pie is super-yummy, too....

I´m a sucker for pies....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe