Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's The Hat?

Magus

Practically Family
Another picture of his hat

Here is another picture of the hat. The one you showed was taken by the famous Life Mag. photog Alfred Eisenstadt, we might remember him best for his photo of a navy signalman and nurse to kissing (he coaxed them into it by the way).

Interestingly enough...Oppenheimer's hat became so connected with him that for the cover of the first issue of Physics Today, all they showed WAS the hat and people knew who was being discussed in the magazine.

PhysToday1948.jpg

Magus

0375412026.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This has got to be an Open Road with a telescope/pork pie bash. I have one similar with the same ribbon and probably color. The bash on mine is different though. I am not that hot on a porkpie unless it is straw. ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Notice how he kind of looks like Uncle Jed? :)

hatflick1

Practically Family
OPEN ROAD IT MUST BE

Well, I'll go by the expertise of The Lounge. Add Oppenheimer to Truman, Ike and LBJ as Open Road'ers. Actually, the Akubra Campdraft can be styled this way, as well.
Thanks!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Even further 'What's The Hat?'

It just goes to show what a little time in the desert will do for a hat...

Speaking of hats that have seen better days...Did anyone happen to catch Neil Young on the Daily Show yesterday? He was wearing an old fedora...and I mean old fedora that looked to be in just about the same condition as the one that Bogart wore as Fred C. Dobbs in "Treasure of The Sierra Madre".
I'm sure that there's a good story behind that hat (maybe a good song too...). Anyone know anything about Young's hat?

EDIT: Sorry I just saw that Shamus posted this very question in another thread. "Nevermind..."

Pilgrim

One Too Many
That makes me reflect - is there any more versatile hat than the Open Road? i've seen more variations of it since joining this forum than I would have ever guessed. It seems that open roads have been shaped into just about any style that one can wear.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stetson-Hat-Man...747104596QQcategoryZ50133QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's one of those hats. This version is a Royal Stetson with a brown sweat and the beaver, eagle and shield logo, a 3-inch brim and an 8th-inch ribbon. The brim is bound. There's no headliner and there may never have been one. We got this on eBay a while back. It came from the estate of a professional wrestler named Man Mountain Dean, who died in 1953. MMD fought under Pershing and Chased Pancho Villa around the desert, and he appeared in a lot of old movies. This is a nice hat, supple, light, with a beautiful brown finish that's lighter and warmer than the photos make it appear. For all I know, MMD bought it in El Paso during his army days. The hat came from Globe Clothiers, Tulsa, OK. The hat cost $10.00 on eBay, probably close to what it originally sold for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld