Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I love cakes, cookies, etc., with cream inside. Does anyone remember cream horns? Basically a pastry shell kinda in the shape of a horn chock full of vanilla cream. I had them as a kid, but even in NYC (where everything exists somewhere if you can just find it), I haven't been able to find them.
I can get them! I love those things. I don't get them often though. they are just too good!

I can get them! I love those things. I don't get them often though. they are just too good!

A few years ago at Christmas, by girlfriend's parents bought some (we visit them every year for Christmas and they always buy a bunch of things just to have around for all of us to eat) - they hadn't had them before and I consumed about six in two days. Then, on day three, her Dad asked where all the cream horns were and I had to sheepishly say, in my belly. Hey, no one called dibs on them. We still chuckle about that one each year. And the final funny thing is, they don't remember where they bought them and ran around the following year to every bakery and grocery store they go to and still couldn't find them.

I love cakes, cookies, etc., with cream inside. Does anyone remember cream horns? Basically a pastry shell kinda in the shape of a horn chock full of vanilla cream. I had them as a kid, but even in NYC (where everything exists somewhere if you can just find it), I haven't been able to find them.
I remember those things, too. Used to see them pretty much everywhere any kind of baked goods were available. My mom was a big fon of them and often brought them home when I was growing up. Now that you mention it, though, I can't think of the last time I saw any either. I'll have to keep my eyes open next time I'm out to one of the stores with a bakery.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I remember those things, too. Used to see them pretty much everywhere any kind of baked goods were available. My mom was a big fon of them and often brought them home when I was growing up. Now that you mention it, though, I can't think of the last time I saw any either. I'll have to keep my eyes open next time I'm out to one of the stores with a bakery.

Do you have Food Lion? I've seen them there. And this won't help, but we have a locally owned grocery that stocks them too.

Didn't think you had one in NY, but thought dh66 might :)

My breakfast this morning was a slice of homemade chocolate mint swirl cheesecake :)

Mine was a big piece of Boston Cream Pie from the same diner that had the eclairs and cannolies I posted about in the desserts thread. I tend to buy whatever has "just been baked today," so today it was Boston Cream Pie. While outstanding - just outstanding, wonderful custard filling, nice fluffy yellow cake and strong chocolate icing - they put my oversized piece (they take care of their regulars) in a plastic container that was a bit too small and the piece got a tiny bit "squashed" so I didn't want to post a picture as the diner deserves better.

A lazy morning means grilled cheese and tomato soup with coffee from the percolator.
Nothing wrong with a lazy morning!

I had a banana and some hummus with whole grain crackers. Workin' my way through a second pot of coffee so maybe I won't be so lazy in a little while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82