Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
So far a double-shot latte with dark chocolate in it--my usual. I don't think I'm hungry enough for anything else. I'll probably wait to eat until just before work, since I won't get a break tonight.

Alongside the usual two pork sausages and a scrambled egg, I had a brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tart, given to me last night by comedian Paula Poundstone. Long story.

When warm, spreading a little butter on a brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tart (which, while good, leans to the dry side) really takes it up a notch.

I'd like to hear the Paula Poundstone story.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We had her for a sold-out show last night -- she comes up here every other year, and is sort of an honorary member of the family at the theatre. She ended up oversleeping on her way up here from her previous show (in Virginia, no less), and missed her flight, so she had to be rush-shipped via a combination of planes, cabs, and private cars. Not much chance to eat along the way, but somewhere along the line somebody recognized her and took pity on her plight, presenting her with two boxes of Pop Tarts for fortification along the way. She ended up doing a brief bit in the show about the Pop Tarts, but afterward, as we were settling up the merch, she holds up the bag and says "you know, I really hate Pop Tarts." So I took them off her hands, kept the brown sugar cinnamon for myself, and gave the other box, which was strawberry, to the kids.

She's one of the most humble people I've ever met in show business, and she's funny as hell. Even if she doesn't like Pop Tarts.

PopTarts? Those things came along too late in my life for me to have any positive childhood associations. But I can't help but think of this scene ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnggTh7EHro

Notice that the box is labeled "toaster pastries." No paid product placement here.

Another definition for "pop tart" I've heard is reserved for the latest crop of sexy girl pop tune singers.

.. Besides, I was too busy cooking fish sticks in the toaster.

Good idea. I suspect you are of sufficient seniority to recall when the "toaster oven" became a standard household appliance. Pre-microwave by, oh, a decade or so. No need to heat up the big ol' oven if all you wanted to do was bake a frozen pot pie to hold you over 'til dinner.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I even remember those "In-Fra-Red" ovens they had at gas stations and lunch counters for toasting pre-packaged sandwiches. The cheese was all melty and the bun was nice and crispy, unlike the soggy mass you get from the modern microwave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe