Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CLOVERFIELD

Wow! I hadn't seen this one at the theatres so just picked it up on a whim as a rental. The first ten minutes or so I just didn't get it - in fact I thought that it may be the wrong DVD in the 'Cloverfield' box. I fast forwarded to see where this was going to go and saw some action so I went back to the beginning and paid attention this time.

I'm glad I did. The boring party sequences really develop the character relationships that are necessary for the remainder of the film. Snippets of the conversations add clues to those relationships and the reasoning for the actions later. In fact, what at first appears to be just random video of the inside of an apartment relates entirely to the complete story right up to the end. Then, the end - the final scene - relates wholly to the entire story.

It's a pretty intriguing piece of film-making as the film itself is intended as piece of documentary evidence and the viewer is seeing it as would an investigator who is trying to piece together the aspects of a larger tragedy. The annoyance of viewing someone's "shakey home video" gives way to the riveting suspence of what happens next and how things will work out. And, smack-dab in the middle of all that is a love story.

I had no idea that this was such a unique film and that it was produced in such manner. Because I had no preconcieved notions about it, it really got to me as the film-maker intended - it was irritating at first and then proceeded to bring in all the other emotions. The fact that it ISN'T really a piece of documentary evidence and that the film-makers constructed it in such a way and that the characters are all "acting", makes it even more fascinating. The concept works! It hooked me!

So without revealing all the details, there is CLOVERFIELD. Check it out - and for God's sake, don't take your eyes off the screen during the final scene - that's where the film really begins!

-dixon cannon

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Saw I am Legend from Nexflix finally. Left something lacking but I don't know what.

That one stuck with me for awhile. I didn't care for it right off the bat but it grew on me some. Do you get the same reaction now?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KY Gentleman said:
That one stuck with me for awhile. I didn't care for it right off the bat but it grew on me some. Do you get the same reaction now?

It did for me.

One thing about that one that really stuck in my craw was the breakfast scene when that woman and child were there. She had been running for years, was from a different country, was not use to having various foods arouond, and she prepares bacon and eggs!!??

I just thought that was so strange!

LD

Selentino

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman, Lady Day,
I'm curious would you see the movie again? I could not wait to see the movie.
Growing up my father took us to the drive-in to see Omega Man so many times I was glad when they started showing it on TV so we could skip out. But after seeing I am Legend I left the theater with mixed feelings and to this day I'm unsure of how I feel about it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I would see it again. I was impressed by Will Smith the most. The scene where he had to take care of his dog after it was attacked, the scene in the video store where he said "hi".... The happy song that played early in the film then he sang it later in a sad situation...
He made you feel a lot of different emotions. Thats what stuck with me.

Hondo

One Too Many
Excellent Performance

Doctor Strange said:
Wayne knew he was dying when he made the film, and intended it as a finale. He gives an excellent performance.

I saw this (again!) but now that he's gone you lose feeling depressed, feel sad that he's not around, but I then watch "The Cowboys" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" And you appreciate him more, not many scenes in which he dies, these three stand out the most in my mind, and in "The Searchers" doesn't die, but he walks away into the sunset from door of life (cabin) I very much like that ending, (Wayne holding his arm, walking away) that is sad but also awesome good bye.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
John Wayne's the man...

Hatari! What a load of fun! Now I know where they got that dinosaur chase scene in the 3rd Jurassic Park.

august_hatari2.jpg

237d1152836513-favorite-comedian-1962-movie-hatari-red-buttons-john

Cheers!

Dan

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Be Kind Rewind which, to my surprise, I absolutely loved. Def Gondry's most commercial film to date, I watched it with my father and brother (they hate 'art' movies) and they were laughing and engaged. I missed Gael Garcia Bernal, but I'm happy to say that there were no weird dream sequences with giant hands, etc.

Panache

A-List Customer
"THEM" (1954)

My 8 year old son had a friend over and they decided to watch it.

A classic monster movie with a good script and solid acting.

James Arness as an FBI agent wears a pretty dapper suit and fedora in it.

Cheers

Jamie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust