Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

zaika

One Too Many
Since You Went Away (1944) w/ Claudette Colbert.

LONG movie. Made me cry in some parts. But, my word, it was one huge propaganda flick. I don't know much about the intentions of the film, but the sappy patriotic tones it sometimes took on were almost too much. I liked how they took a little cross section of civilians (the family and the grandfather), and portrayed how hard it was to get along during the war with shortages and losing loved ones. But Colbert's character "seeing the light" at the end of the movie and getting a factory job to support the war...well, I'm not sure that's exactly how it played out in real life. They should have showed her getting a factory job because she needed the money!! I mean...that's why they took in a boarder, right?

[huh] Then again, what do I know?

I'll probably buy the movie to keep. lol

pgoat

One Too Many
zaika said:

we did .... yeah it's over the top US propaganda, though it also makes some strides for its day. Definitley went through a few kleenex on the first few viewings.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:

LONG movie. Made me cry in some parts. But, my word, it was one huge propaganda flick. I don't know much about the intentions of the film, but the sappy patriotic tones it sometimes took on were almost too much. I liked how they took a little cross section of civilians (the family and the grandfather), and portrayed how hard it was to get along during the war with shortages and losing loved ones. But Colbert's character "seeing the light" at the end of the movie and getting a factory job to support the war...well, I'm not sure that's exactly how it played out in real life. They should have showed her getting a factory job because she needed the money!! I mean...that's why they took in a boarder, right?

[huh] Then again, what do I know?

Hollywood really turned up the valve on patriotism in movies during the war. You might like this book, Z. It's a good read, IMO.

Hollywood Goes to War: How Politics, Profits, and Propaganda Shaped World War II Movies.

zaika

One Too Many
pgoat said:
we did .... yeah it's over the top US propaganda, though it also makes some strides for its day. Definitley went through a few kleenex on the first few viewings.

no kidding!! i was in tears for most of it. lol i found it very useful for a possible quick study on the era.
fun fact: there is one scene where mrs. hilton meets...what's her name...mrs. hawkins? at the bar for the first time and they walking through the corridor while camera follows, picking up everyone's conversations, and you see the posters on the wall in the corridor. i loved those things! gave me some good ideas about what posters i could look out for...lo and behold!
merchant.mvc
:D

wish i had a screen cap for comparison. but i love it when there is a connection.

anyway..

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I rented "Reservation Road" today. I liked all the players and the story moved along pretty well. I wasn't wild about the ending, though.:eusa_doh:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
'Manos: The Hands of Fate', and not the MST3K version. Please, please, make the pain go away!!!

I need to go read "Heart of Darkness" to cheer myself up after that.

Gah.

Feraud

Bartender
Watched Thank You, Mr. Moto with Peter Lorre. I enjoy these films and the character of Moto much better than Charlie Chan. Moto has little compulsion against throwing a fist or shooting a bad guy if necessary.

TCM has been running a feature called Asian Images in Film every Tuesdays and Thursdays in June as part of a Race and Hollywood programming. It is worth a look.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finishing up the second show of "Then She Found Me," Helen Hunt's directoral debut -- a very nicely-crafted family drama with Matthew Broderick as the sort of adolescent man-child I'd like to smack upside the head, Colin Firth as the Responsible Single Dad, and Bette Midler as a long-lost Bette Midler-like birth mother.

Hunt herself is actually the weak link in the film -- she looks *awful*. Gaunt, haggard, underweight, and when her character proclaimed her age as "39," there were audible snorts from the audience. Good film, but I wish she'd gain some weight.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Hunt herself is actually the weak link in the film -- she looks *awful*. Gaunt, haggard, underweight, and when her character proclaimed her age as "39," there were audible snorts from the audience. Good film, but I wish she'd gain some weight.

I saw the tailer to that and was all, "Geeze she needs a sandwich!" It seems late 30s is as old as you can be, but still be young enough to 'relate' to the younger crowd. *sigh*

LD

splatt

One of the Regulars
Last night I watched an Australian film shot in Sydney and released in 1966, called "They're a Weird Mob".

It features quite a few actors who figured prominently in the major growth of the Australian film industry during the 1960's and 1970's.

Nino Culotta is an Italian immigrant, newly arrived in Australia. He is expecting to work for his cousin as a sports writer on the Italian magazine his cousin has been producing. But when he gets there he discovers that his cousin has left leaving a substantial debt to Kay Kelly. Nino declares that he will get a job and pay back the debt.

The film tells how he does this, making new mates, and the growing attraction between Nino & Kay. All this despite some difficulties with Australian slang and Kay's father and his dislike of Italians. Much of the story is taken up with Nino's attempts to understand the aspirational values and social rituals of everyday urban Australians, and assimilate. The film deals with customs and manners of 1950s and 60s Australian society.

WeirdMob.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Over my lunch break, I watched Red Skeleton in Whistling in the Dark. I laughed and laughed! Wish I could have stayed home and watched the next one, Whistling in Dixie, but that darn day job didn't approve.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw I am Legend from Nexflix finally. Left something lacking but I don't know what. Watched Oceans 13 on HBO and found it totally forgetable, very mediocre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe