Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

basbol13

A-List Customer
When it comes the pure grit, "The Wages of Fear" (1953) Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, Folco Lulli and Peter Van Eyck. In a nut shell, 4 guys in a decrepit South American village, are hired to transport an urgent nitroglycerine shipment without the equipment that would make it safe. It's French so it's got subtitles, so if you can't handle the subtitles don't watch it, but realize your going to miss out on a great movie. You might like the remake titled "Sorcerer" (1977) with Roy Scheider, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal and Amidou more updated and a lot more action and adventure.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I've never seen him - sounds fantastic. When AMC was all old movies / no commercial format they had a host, Bob Dorian, who I always enjoyed. It took me some time when they switch format and I moved to watching TCM to adjust to Robert Osborn (as I like how Dorian did it better).

I remember thinking AMC was the bestest thing in the world for a classic movie fan; I think I had to pay extra on my cable bill for it, but did it just to get it. I would set my VCR to record all those classic films. Genial Bob Dorian was excellent as the host. Remember his role on Remember WENN?
Then along comes TCM and Robert Osborne who seemed to be either a) well-coached, or b) genuinely knowledgeable about the films he was introducing.
Now there's Warner Archive streaming, with no hosts, but with an astonishing amount of golden era films. For a sort of hosts we have the Warner Instant Archive podcast.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just caught John Ford's "The Horse Soldiers" on TCM the other night. I hadn't seen it since it was released back in 1962 (when I was eleven) and it was my favorite movie of all time. John Wayne and William Holden are perfect (although the fight scene between them was a bit far-fetched). I'd forgotten how beautifully filmed it was and how fast the film moves once they go on the mission.

... I have to say that I'm thrilled TCM doesn't have any commercials. Many times I will just leave the station on with a movie in the background while I do other things; it's a relief to just have the movie playing instead of loud, obnoxious commercials.

I do this too - quite often. And it is not unusual for me to get sucked into sitting down and watching a movie I had no intention of watching. Also, as you said, it makes for a pleasant background if I don't want the apartment quiet; whereas, all the other channels - news, sports, sitcoms, modern movies - yell at you and, then, yell louder at you when their commercials come on.

For some reason, my cable TV used to come on to channel 1, which is Time Warners local news channel (and I assumed they did it to help boost their own rating - cheesy, but hey, they own the cable system), but then something happen and it now comes on to channel 35 - something called "truTV." It is a loud, scream-at-you, obnoxious station of, from the few seconds I see before I flip to TCM (most of the time), videos and game shows of stupid people doing stupid things loudly with cars, fire, or just household stuff. It is an assault to even catch thirty seconds of that channel.

I have to say that I'm thrilled TCM doesn't have any commercials. Many times I will just leave the station on with a movie in the background while I do other things; it's a relief to just have the movie playing instead of loud, obnoxious commercials.

As do I. It is comforting, good atmosphere, and just generally makes me happy.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Men Against The Sky. (1940) Another not so great movie, but a must see for any airplane buff! The actual footage of Howard Hughes and his H1 Racer is good, even with the few model scenes in between!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Her with Joaquin Phoenix & Amy Adams.

wpnye.png

Siri cried throughout the whole picture... :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Wages of Fear.
When it comes the pure grit, "The Wages of Fear" (1953) Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, Folco Lulli and Peter Van Eyck. In a nut shell, 4 guys in a decrepit South American village, are hired to transport an urgent nitroglycerine shipment without the equipment that would make it safe. It's French so it's got subtitles, so if you can't handle the subtitles don't watch it, but realize your going to miss out on a great movie. You might like the remake titled "Sorcerer" (1977) with Roy Scheider, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal and Amidou more updated and a lot more action and adventure.

If you buy this on DVD, try to get a copy from a store. My reason for this is I picked up a cheap bootleg copy as it was cheap. It was missing the vital scene where each driver crosses the bridge.Why this was missing is unknown as I doubt if Chinese censors deleted it.
I always either by good second hand or new copies so wont be wasting my cash on dodgy discs again.
Great film by the way, I bought another copy in a Henri-Georges Clouzot box set.
Lots of film fans miss out if they cannot handle the subtitles and select the American/English dubbed versions :(

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Here Comes Mr. Jordan. What a great film!
Taped it last Saturday night, watched it yesterday. Very sharp. I remember watching it with my mother on the Late Show when I was about 9, and loving it. I enjoyed it quite a bit now, as a grownup; but I wonder what it was that appealed to my 9-year-old psyche back then?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Mating of Millie with Glenn Ford and Evelyn Keyes. Absolutely loved it. Sweet and wonderful. A must-buy!
AmateisGal, I had not heard of the film, and happened to come across it on Saturday night about 10 minutes in, when Millie is responding to the shouting of the small boy. Not being familiar with Evelyn Keyes until recently, I kept wondering who the actress was. The film was loads of fun, and both Ms. Keyes and Glenn Ford looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Gee, I'd like to live in an apartment block like that.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
AMC has REALLY changed over the last 10 years or so what with Mad Men and The Walking Dead plus a whole slew of contemporary movies. On Saturdays I think they play westerns all day, though.
I'm not sure it's all day, but certainly in the morning. They run episodes of "The Rifleman" from 5 am to 7 or 7:30 my time. Gosh, those were good -- neat little short stories on film, and Connors was The Man. He made you believe in Lucas McCain and his skill with that rifle, huh?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
AmateisGal, I had not heard of the film, and happened to come across it on Saturday night about 10 minutes in, when Millie is responding to the shouting of the small boy. Not being familiar with Evelyn Keyes until recently, I kept wondering who the actress was. The film was loads of fun, and both Ms. Keyes and Glenn Ford looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Gee, I'd like to live in an apartment block like that.

Wasn't it wonderful? I immediately wanted to buy the DVD, but it's not out on DVD! :( Such a fun, charming, feel-good film.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Taped it last Saturday night, watched it yesterday. Very sharp. I remember watching it with my mother on the Late Show when I was about 9, and loving it. I enjoyed it quite a bit now, as a grownup; but I wonder what it was that appealed to my 9-year-old psyche back then?

First time for me to watch it - and I really loved it. It was a good day on Saturday, watching that one and then The Mating of Millie. I was in a good mood for hours afterward. :D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Currently home with a migraine (again! - back to the doctor on Wednesday!) and watching my DVD of Notorious. TCM is having a tribute to Christopher Lee, but I'm not big on those movies they're showing, so am watching some Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman instead.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Village of the Damned!" - Love George Sanders, well used in a cracking good story I never get tired of watching. Even read the novella. Not "frightening" per se but very chilling!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe