Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
On+Her+Majesty%2527s+Secret+Service.jpg

On Majesty’s Secret Service. It’s a film I hadn’t seen in a long time so it was almost like watching it for the first time. George Lazenby played the title role, and did a pretty fair job. But I guess I’m just a Sean Connery fan. I would have loved to have seen him play Bond in this film.

I had forgotten that Telly Savalas played Bloefeld in this film too. He did a wonderful job as well, though I must admit I kept waiting for him to say “Who luvs ya baby”. lol

And of course Diana Rigg, fresh off her role as Emma Peel in the Avengers. Again, I kept waiting for her to ‘kick really high’ and don the jumpsuit she often wore in the tv series.
Shot in Switzerlang, England and Portugal, this film had stunning views of the alps and other parts of the world. I couldn’t help but think, though, of that plane that recently crashed in the alps and killed everyone on board.

I always like to look up the biographies of the actors in some of these films I enjoy. One girl I really liked in this one was Angela Margaret Scoular, who played the curly haired English girl that was allergic to chickens. I thought she was cute as can be with a terrific personality.

Sadly, her life ended in tragedy. Scoular suffered from depression and anorexia. She attempted suicide in 1992 by slashing her wrists with a knife. It was revealed in March 2009 that she was suffering from colorectal cancer; she was eventually declared cancer-free, but in the months preceding her death she had feared its return. Weeks before her death, she was arrested for drink-driving. She died on 11 April 2011 after ingesting acid drain cleaner and pouring it on her body, causing lethal burns to her digestive tract and skin.
Poor girl had some problems.
th

Last edited:

vmtrevino2

A-List Customer
Currently the following rule is being considered for the "What is the Last TV Show You Watched" thread. Perhaps we should consider it for this thread as well. See proposed rule below.

vmtrevino2 - what did you think of "Roman Holiday?"

Proposed Rule
"The Jamespowers" rule: one must post, at minimum, a one sentence comment / observation / opinion about the show or movie they are posting that they have watched.

All meant in good fun - it's great to hear the opinions of our members - even if just a blurb - of the movies and TV shows that they posted that they just saw.
Great comedy so far. I stopped it so I can watch it with the better half. I think she will like it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Man Who Never Was" - 1956 British film about the deception pulled off by the Brits to pull German troops out of Sicily before the invasion. Taught little thriller only marred by the romantic subplot that I doubt happened in real life but I can't be sure. I enjoyed it a great deal. Good Netflix find... you can find some gems in there if you look.

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"The Man Who Never Was" - 1956 British film about the deception pulled off by the Brits to pull German troops out of Sicily before the invasion. Taught little thriller only marred by the romantic subplot that I doubt happened in real life but I can't be sure. I enjoyed it a great deal. Good Netflix find... you can find some gems in there if you look.

Worf

It didn't, but, they needed it for the average movie goer! On a side note, the British were really good at rounding up the spies, some were caught as they landed. They were given two choices, Double Agent or immediate execution, most chose Double! They did a great job feeding Hitler false information.

"The Man Who Never Was" a 1954 movie version of Britain's attempt during WWII to convince Germany to move its defenses of Sicily elsewhere because the allies where planning to invade elsewhere. This is a solid, enjoyable movie - enhanced by Clifton Webb's and Josephine Griffin's outstanding performances. I won't give any more of the plot away in case you aren't familiar with it or the real story that inspired the movie - and he real story is at least as fantastic as the movie.

Also, it was odd to see Clifton Webb in a hero role - which he handled wonderfully even while still bringing some of his usual snark and condescension. And as noted, Josephine Griffin, a British film star of the 1950s, was excellent as the quite, efficient, but passionate aid to Webb.

This movie popped up on some obscure (channel 1230 or something like that) cable channel which is only one of three new channels - at least to my basic-plus cable package (the "plus" is so that I can get TCM) - that play old movies regularly now - glad that is happening, but wonder why it is?

After seeing Worf's and Strearmen's post on this movie, I pulled my comment from a few weeks ago forward as I was equally impressed with the movie - nothing incredible, but as Worf said, a good taught thriller and based on a true story.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
After seeing Worf's and Strearmen's post on this movie, I pulled my comment from a few weeks ago forward as I was equally impressed with the movie - nothing incredible, but as Worf said, a good taught thriller and based on a true story.

Thanks for reminding me bra.... My fave Clifton Webb role of course is his villainous turn in "Laura"! He was as suave a villainous basterd as they come! Nice to see him as an amazingly understated hero for a change.

Worf

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Field of Lost Shoes - A good Civil War movie based on a true story.
In May 1864, a group of teenage cadets from the Virginia Military Institute are called on to defend the Shenandoah Valley, during a pivotal battle for the Confederacy at New Market, Virginia.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Another family and ours get together about once a month for a meal and a movie: last weekend it was North By Northwest. Even though we'd all seen it multiple times we still jumped and gasped and laughed as if it was our first viewing.

Inside Llewyn Davis (2014). Written, produced, and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, the movie follows down-on-his-luck folk singer Llewyn Davis (Oscar Issac) for a week in Greenwich Village in February of 1961. And that's about it. The story doesn't have much of a beginning and it just ends when it ends, so you're essentially following this schmuck around for 104 minutes. [huh]

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Inside Llewyn Davis (2014). Written, produced, and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, the movie follows down-on-his-luck folk singer Llewyn Davis (Oscar Issac) for a week in Greenwich Village in February of 1961. And that's about it. The story doesn't have much of a beginning and it just ends when it ends, so you're essentially following this schmuck around for 104 minutes. [huh]

You know, I'm a big Coen Bros. (and folk music) fan and I really wanted to love this movie... but didn't. It's got a lot going for it - excellent period detail, gorgeous photography, great actors, their usual sharp writing, and some of the musical performances are downright spellbinding. And as a Coen film, it's all uniquely observed and occasionally pretty funny. But Llewyn Davis is such an off-putting and self-defeating character that you can't really warm to him.

I realize that the Coens are making an interesting point here: what happens to somebody who has a lot of talent, perhaps even enough to be a star, but with such a difficult personality that they antagonize everyone? At least in this case, I'm afraid, it yields one of their less satisfying films.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I found it profusely boring myself, which surprised me because I expected a lot more from the Coen Brothers.

You know, I'm a big Coen Bros. (and folk music) fan and I really wanted to love this movie... but didn't. It's got a lot going for it - excellent period detail, gorgeous photography, great actors, their usual sharp writing, and some of the musical performances are downright spellbinding. And as a Coen film, it's all uniquely observed and occasionally pretty funny. But Llewyn Davis is such an off-putting and self-defeating character that you can't really warm to him.

I realize that the Coens are making an interesting point here: what happens to somebody who has a lot of talent, perhaps even enough to be a star, but with such a difficult personality that they antagonize everyone? At least in this case, I'm afraid, it yields one of their less satisfying films.
I consider myself a fan as well, but when I review a list of their movies I find they're really more "miss" than "hit" with me. Still, as you wrote, even if I didn't care for the movie overall I'm always impressed by the way they're written and filmed, the casting and performances, the music they use, and so on. The brothers are meticulous in the way they construct their movies, but sometimes the ingredients just don't blend well. I didn't dislike Inside Llewyn Davis, but it's not destined to become one of their movies I would watch several times like Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld