Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Wee Willie Winkie" - Did John Ford EVER make a bad movie? Or one you couldn't watch all the way through? Hell he can use Shirley Temple so well as to make the Afghans stop shootin' at the British? What a film maker!

Worf

Feraud

Bartender
Errrr... you go into Manhattan? For FUN? You're a braver man that I Gunga Din! I grew up in the City and avoid Manhattan during tourist season like the plague. Of course EVERY season in Manhattan is tourist season I suppose! Yipes!

Worf
Manhattan lost it's luster to me a long time ago! I prefer to spend weekends at home watching Netflix with the wife. It is not many 21 year olds that want to catch a movie with the old man so I won't break our tradition. ;)

"EVERY season in Manhattan is tourist season" is spot on - it never, ever stops. The key is planing - there are great things to see and do away from the tourist stuff and even good ways to do the tourist stuff if you know the right hours or times of years. That said, if you come into the city for a movie, it would make sense to wrap something else around it or you have basically just paid a ton of money to do the same thing you can do where live. I'm hoping Feraud and his son took advantage of their time in the city to do something in addition to the movie.
We're locals. We live in Queens and I work in Manhattan so it is a short train ride to catch a movie and have lunch.

Gone Girl (2014). When Amy Dunne (Rosamund Pike) goes missing on the morning of their fifth anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) becomes the focus of both a media circus and the police investigation into her disappearance when the evidence indicates she's been murdered. Well acted with some deeply flawed characters, and in an atypical move for a "whodunit" like this Amy's disappearance is explained in the middle of the movie, but the story is far from over. It's a little long at 149 minutes even though nearly every scene moves the story forward, and there are some plot holes big enough to drive a truck through, but I enjoyed it and I think it's worth seeing if you like this type of movie.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Gone Girl (2014). When Amy Dunne (Rosamund Pike) goes missing on the morning of their fifth anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) becomes the focus of both a media circus and the police investigation into her disappearance when the evidence indicates she's been murdered. Well acted with some deeply flawed characters, and in an atypical move for a "whodunit" like this Amy's disappearance is explained in the middle of the movie, but the story is far from over. It's a little long at 149 minutes even though nearly every scene moves the story forward, and there are some plot holes big enough to drive a truck through, but I enjoyed it and I think it's worth seeing if you like this type of movie.

I really enjoyed that film! Far more twisted than the trailer led me to believe. Reminded me of a girl I used to date.

Manhattan lost it's luster to me a long time ago! I prefer to spend weekends at home watching Netflix with the wife. It is not many 21 year olds that want to catch a movie with the old man so I won't break our tradition. ;)

We're locals. We live in Queens and I work in Manhattan so it is a short train ride to catch a movie and have lunch.

If I had pulled my head at of my backside I would have seen where you live - :eusa_doh: Also, that is a great tradition and wonderful to have that type of relationship with your 21 year old son.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Gog (1954) with Richard Egan, Herbert Marshall, and Constance Dowling as the top-billed stars. Produced by Ivan Tors, who evidently had a hand in the writing. I remember watching this on local LA tv many years ago. Secret science lab run by super computer and a pair of tank-like robots experiences fatalities. Two-fisted Richard Egan is sent in by Uncle Sam to straighten things out.
Started Gunga Din with the Missus, who prefers something a little more sophisticated.
....and for our occasional movie night with another family, The Trouble With Harry. Once you buy in to the tone, it's fun. (We made our own pizza, rolling out the dough, loading it with toppings, and grilling it on the bbq.)

Gog (1954) with Richard Egan, Herbert Marshall, and Constance Dowling as the top-billed stars. Produced by Ivan Tors, who evidently had a hand in the writing. I remember watching this on local LA tv many years ago. Secret science lab run by super computer and a pair of tank-like robots experiences fatalities. Two-fisted Richard Egan is sent in by Uncle Sam to straighten things out.
Started Gunga Din with the Missus, who prefers something a little more sophisticated.
....and for our occasional movie night with another family, The Trouble With Harry. Once you buy in to the tone, it's fun. (We made our own pizza, rolling out the dough, loading it with toppings, and grilling it on the bbq.)
I saw 'Gog' recently. The cold war paranoia was pretty thick in that one. Just who were we supposed to think was flying that mysterious plane?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"The Caine Mutiny" is an excellent movie, in part, because the novel is so well done. Sure, good books have been made into bad movies, but at least you are starting off on the right track when you have good source material. And, then, as you point out, the acting is outstanding. Both MacMurry and Bogey play against type with MacMurry being manipulative and backstabbing and Bogey weak and cowardly. Those guys are real actors.
Caine Mutiny the novel is so well written it practically reads itself to you. If any of you were thinking, "I don't know nothin' about no navies," don't worry. If you've watched a few episodes of "Star Trek," you'll get the hang of the terminology and procedures. It's a fine movie as well.

MacMurray's other "rat" character, by the way, was in Billy Wilder's "The Apartment," as Jack Lemmon's boss/Shirley MacLaine's adulterous lover.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Edward G Robinson and Fred MacMurray are both wonderful. Great movie!
I've read someplace that Robinson wanted the author of the novel, James M. Cain, to do a film script with his Double Indemnity character, experienced insurance investigator Keyes, as the lead. Nothing ever came of it . . . but that would have been fascinating!

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
I've read someplace that Robinson wanted the author of the novel, James M. Cain, to do a film script with his Double Indemnity character, experienced insurance investigator Keyes, as the lead. Nothing ever came of it . . . but that would have been fascinating!
Yes, it would. One of those what if moments. I must say that I greatly enjoyed all movies with Robinson as lead that I have seen. From Little Ceasar to the Woman in the window and Scarlet Street.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it would. One of those what if moments. I must say that I greatly enjoyed all movies with Robinson as lead that I have seen. From Little Ceasar to the Woman in the window and Scarlet Street.
Edward G. was one of those rare character actors who frequently played leads. He was hardly the matinee idol type, and yet the studios often had him play front and center!

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Edward G. was one of those rare character actors who frequently played leads. He was hardly the matinee idol type, and yet the studios often had him play front and center!
LOL, I'm afraid he could never rely on being tall, muscular and good looking [emoji1].

In a way it probably was a blessing in disguis. It forced him to be a great actor and led to a long and varied career.

Movies should do this more today. There is nothing wrong with the classically handsome lead actor or classically beautiful lead actress, but there is something also powerful about a not-out-of-central-casting male or female lead. As serg (many more letters) says, it demands a real actor who can command the role, but when he or she does, it is a treat. Maybe the studio system allowed for that to happen occasionally (you can take a shot now and then when you are making hundreds of movies a year); whereas, today, nobody will take that risk.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
No one could do menace, rage or pathos like Robinson. Say what you will.... he was an actor! Matinee Idol? Never! But a man who's art I respect and love? Always... Would give an arm to have dinner with him in the next world.

Worf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Previewing "Deep Waters" (1948) for a screening next week. Typical postwar Fox hokum, but it was filmed in this area -- mostly on one of the islands off the coast, but a few scenes right here in town. Dana Andrews is all glowery as a leather-jacket wearing lobsterman, and Jean Peters is his welfare-worker girlfriend. The story is a lot of bunk about an orphan boy learning the ways of the sea, but the show is stolen by Cesar Romero as Andrews' "Portuguese" sternman. Yeah right, we used to have an Iberian population here, but he moved away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe