Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Station Agent (2003). When his only friend dies, anti-social Finbar "Fin" McBride (Peter Dinklage) takes possession of a disused New Jersey railway station, where he meets overly-friendly catering truck vendor Joe Oramas (Bobby Canavale), and artist Olivia Harris (Patricia Clarkson) who is dealing with her own personal loss. This is one of those "character study" movies where you're essentially dropped into the characters' lives for 90 minutes and nothing really gets resolved before the credits roll, but the performances were believable and intriguing enough to hold my interest. I think the average, "Hey, let's go see a movie!" audience member would consider it too "artsy-fartsy", but I enjoyed it.

Yeah I reviewed it a couple of months ago... Loved it.

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
TCM Silent Sunday

[video=youtube;CV_ouviNrE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_ouviNrE8[/video]

Tonight ~ German espionage film (1928) * * * *
2uiyql1.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
My wife forced me to see the Avengers movie. This time I didn't fall asleep, although I wish I had, utterly tedious way to spend time.

Stand By

One Too Many
Maybe Iron Man 4 or 5 will be better. Look how Rocky improved with age. Which Rocky are we on 20 or 21?

After Iron Man 3, I'm done with Tony Stark (and to call the film Iron Man? The Iron Man suit was barely in it - it was all Tony Stark - and I'd stopped caring for him by the merciful end). What a totally ruinous script!!! And as if that wasn't bad enough, the utterly nonsensical plot and effects with all the armour flying everywhere … there is such a thing as "suspension of belief". They shouldn't make any more after that.
Big J - you were lucky you slept through it and missed it. I'm sorry I suffered through it awake. It is to the superhero franchise what Red Tails is the war movie genre. Unwatchable.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
TCM Silent Sunday

[video=youtube;CV_ouviNrE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_ouviNrE8[/video]

Tonight ~ German espionage film (1928) * * * *
2uiyql1.jpg

I caught Fritz Lang's "Spys" last year and thought it was one of the finest espionage pics ever made. Add some dialogue and you could release it today with barely a hiccup. All the modern spy, secret agent tropes can be traced back to this baby.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I just watched it recently on TCM and enjoyed it and was surprised I hadn't heard about it before. A bit hokey plot twist or two, but a solid movie with really good actors.
Darn movie had me searching for Bogart furniture again...
Now that I found another manufacturer that has tried to capture the art deco style, the wife wants to go look at it Saturday.

Way out of my price league, but I know that Ralph Lauren has a furniture line (or did) that was inspired by Classic Hollywood - very Art Deco - and, if memory serves, Bogey's style was referenced as one of the inspirations. I might even have learned about it on this site (don't remember). It was a few years ago, but I don't think furniture lines go away / change with the seasons as clothing lines seem to. You might want to check that out.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
After Iron Man 3, I'm done with Tony Stark (and to call the film Iron Man? The Iron Man suit was barely in it - it was all Tony Stark - and I'd stopped caring for him by the merciful end). What a totally ruinous script!!! And as if that wasn't bad enough, the utterly nonsensical plot and effects with all the armour flying everywhere … there is such a thing as "suspension of belief". They shouldn't make any more after that.
Big J - you were lucky you slept through it and missed it. I'm sorry I suffered through it awake. It is to the superhero franchise what Red Tails is the war movie genre. Unwatchable.

lol!

Feraud

Bartender
My son was off work Sunday and wanted to see a movie. We went into Manhattan to see Ant-Man. The movie was a lot of fun and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I wasn't sure if Paul Rudd could carry the film alone but Michael Douglas was cast and does a nice job in the role of the mentor.
Afterwards we had lunch at Lupe's East L.A. Kitchen. A fine day.

Just saw the last half hour of "High Tide at Noon" on TCM, a beautiful B&W 1957 movie about a small fishing island in Nova Soctia that is failing economically and the story seems to center around a young woman's romantic options. I came in too late to really get the plot, but the movie is absolutely beautifully filmed - the B&W is gorgeously crisp the scenery of the village stunning and the time travel is enjoyable. I will keep my eye out to catch the full movie.

Sometimes this is a great way to discover a movie - stumble upon a part of it and, then, look for the full movie later. Has anyone seen the full movie - any thought / options on it?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
My son was off work Sunday and wanted to see a movie. We went into Manhattan to see Ant-Man. The movie was a lot of fun and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I wasn't sure if Paul Rudd could carry the film alone but Michael Douglas was cast and does a nice job in the role of the mentor.

Errrr... you go into Manhattan? For FUN? You're a braver man that I Gunga Din! I grew up in the City and avoid Manhattan during tourist season like the plague. Of course EVERY season in Manhattan is tourist season I suppose! Yipes!

Worf

Errrr... you go into Manhattan? For FUN? You're a braver man that I Gunga Din! I grew up in the City and avoid Manhattan during tourist season like the plague. Of course EVERY season in Manhattan is tourist season I suppose! Yipes!

Worf

"EVERY season in Manhattan is tourist season" is spot on - it never, ever stops. The key is planing - there are great things to see and do away from the tourist stuff and even good ways to do the tourist stuff if you know the right hours or times of years. That said, if you come into the city for a movie, it would make sense to wrap something else around it or you have basically just paid a ton of money to do the same thing you can do where live. I'm hoping Feraud and his son took advantage of their time in the city to do something in addition to the movie.

Have you seen "High Tide at Noon," you were one of the members I thought might know the movie?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

My daughter and I are planning to see this film this weekend. :)

Just caught a promo montage on TCM with Courtney Barnett's "Nobody Really Cares if You Don't go to the Party" playing in the background. Kudos, while a new song, it has the right vintage vibe for TCM and the montage was really enjoyable - the images flashed by at the right pace (not too fast that you can't enjoy them, but fast enough that you want to see it again).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe