Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Watched "Gone With the Wind" on my local PBS station this weekend -- no interruptions for pledge breaks. I was struck once again at how vibrant the color was, how much everything looked like the real world -- at least in contrast to today's films and their love of gloomy, muted colors and dim lighting.

And the escape from fiery Atlanta is still a great action scene.

Agreed...I watched it last week. :)

Watched this last night: Sullivan's Travels (1941)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034240/

Y844_.jpg

Rob

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Maleficent. Almost didn't watch it, the beginning was pretty sappy. Glad I did! [video=youtube;ep7afV5wI_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7afV5wI_E[/video]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Maleficent. Almost didn't watch it, the beginning was pretty sappy. Glad I did! [video=youtube;ep7afV5wI_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7afV5wI_E[/video]

My daughter and I watched this...it's a lot better than I thought it would be! Love the different spin it put on the Sleeping Beauty story.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I half liked it.

Like so many of today's fantasy films, there was the kernel of a really interesting story entombed within all the 3D CGI overkill. I didn't care for the rather generic LOTR-ripoff battle sequences and Théoden King and Ent knockoffs, and it really needed a better, more charismatic actor as the king/villain. And the three fairies - despite being played by actresses I really like - were embarrassingly bad. (While they did provide some comic moments in the 1950 animated version, they were also heroic and admirable.) But Jolie and Fanning did very well in their parts - looking fantastic and giving dedicated performances - and some of the revisionist spin on the story was interesting.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Dark Valley" - I've seen "Murican westerns, Italian Westerns, Australian westerns... Hell even Japanese and Chinese westerns but NEVER until last night had I seen a GERMAN western. Basic Eastwood like revenge narrative, could've been done by him. Stranger shows up in a town ruled by a ruthless patriarch and his gun totin' offspring. Lots of "homage" tip of the hats to the Spaghetti Westerns of yore. The evil patriarchs sons include, the big fat one, the crazy blond haired one, the one eyed one and of course the evil head of the bunch. All you needed to do was name him "Tuco" and lose the snow and ice and we'd all feel right at home. It's on Netflix, give it a go. Best seen in the original German with English subtitles the dubbed version is awful!

Worf

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"Ruggles of Red Gap" (1935). With Charles Laughton, Mary Boland, Charles Ruggles, Zazu Pitts and Roland Young. Set in 1908, a newly rich American couple win a British gentleman's gentleman in a poker game. Then bring Marmaduke Ruggles back to Red Gap, Washington. Needless to say the gentleman's gentleman is in for quite a culture shock.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Ruggles of Red Gap" (1935). With Charles Laughton, Mary Boland, Charles Ruggles, Zazu Pitts and Roland Young. Set in 1908, a newly rich American couple win a British gentleman's gentleman in a poker game. Then bring Marmaduke Ruggles back to Red Gap, Washington. Needless to say the gentleman's gentleman is in for quite a culture shock.

Great film... saw it last month, haven't laughed so hard in years!!!!! Laughton could play ANYTHING!!!! Comedy, drama you name it, he could do it except maybe song and dance.

Worf

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Great film... saw it last month, haven't laughed so hard in years!!!!! Laughton could play ANYTHING!!!! Comedy, drama you name it, he could do it except maybe song and dance.

Worf

Laughton was a great actor, and could "pull it off" in any venue. I watched "Jamaica Inn"(1939) awhile back. His character was sinister and conniving. Unfortuately the copy wasn't very good, however on the upside was a young Maureen O'Hara in one of her very early films.

Last edited:
Laughton was a great actor, and could "pull it off" in any venue. I watched "Jamaica Inn"(1939) awhile back. His character was sinister and conniving. Unfortuately the copy wasn't very good, however on the upside was a young Maureen O'Hara in one of her very early films.

Agreed (love him in "Witness for the Prosecution" as you can see him "think" - hard to demonstrate thinking as an actor, and many others movies as well), we don't seem to have Laughton-like actors today. Is it the decline of the studio system, the youth and beauty obsession of modern Hollywood or the general decline of movies where most are teen-oriented block busters, but we don't seem to have the Laughtons, the Sidney Greenstreets or John Housemans anymore? Or different in physical appearance, but the same ability to pull off many different roles - not as the star - but as a memorable character actor who became well known in his own right, we don't have Elisha Cook Jr's or Peter Lorre's.

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Interstellar (2014). I'm sure a lot of people would dismiss this as a "mumbo-jumbo sci-fi movie", but I thought it was one of the best and most thought-provoking modern movies I've seen in quite some time.

It also was ground breaking visually and scientifically. It's one of the few space movies that not only got space correct, but it a scientific paper was produced from it! I consider it far from "mumbo-jumbo". The movie portrays many facts on theoretical astrophysics and then some!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Taking Lily on a family date to go see Cinderella tomorrow. She doesn't know yet. Hoping for better behavior tomorrow than we had today so we can still go.

Currently watching A Lady Takes a Chance with John Wayne and Jean Arthur.

That's not one I've seen, surprisingly, as I enjoy both stars - what did you think of it? I've always thought Jean Arthur is under-rated as she is never listed up with the other "big" female stars of the era, but she starred in a lot of A movie with A male leads and, IMHO, should be right up there with the others.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe