Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the explanation. I have this irrational hatred of Hugh Grant and an overwhelming desire to slap him when he speaks.

Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!! I can't help liking the silly git myself. Loved him in "About a Boy". No one plays the English Fop/Ne'er do well like he does!

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wally Ole Chum... we've rarely if ever disagreed on a film before, I don't think ever to be honest, but guess what..... (wait for it)....

We're definitely gonna disagree now!!!! "The Big Country" is a great film and one of the first of what I call an "Adult Western" where the characters are layered and develop logically and honestly as the film progresses. Look at Heston's arc in this film... from do as he's told lackey who absolutely SURE that he's a better man than Peck to one who questions everything including his personal God.... the Major. Well written, beautifully shot, superbly acted and more stars than the evening sky. One of my personal faves. As for the pacing... because of the size of the land and the terrain Wyler CHOSE to do it that way... to let the camera linger so you can drink it all in. I just love the film. But different horses for different courses.

Worf

I agree!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Ten Commandments" I've never watched this film with a "critical" eye before tonight.... I always liked this film before but not now.... What was I thinking... This film lacks everything "Ben Hur" has. DeMille may have been a master of spectacle and a "cast of thousands" but he managed to suck the life out of the cast, story and film. He has Heston pose like a picture postcard in every other frame. There is no movement, no flow, no heart, no empathy this film is flat out awful! And Heston's makeup is flat out laughable! I never knew this film was so..... just plain BAD!! Mercy!

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"The Ten Commandments" I've never watched this film with a "critical" eye before tonight.... I always liked this film before but not now.... What was I thinking... This film lacks everything "Ben Hur" has. DeMille may have been a master of spectacle and a "cast of thousands" but he managed to suck the life out of the cast, story and film. He has Heston pose like a picture postcard in every other frame. There is no movement, no flow, no heart, no empathy this film is flat out awful! And Heston's makeup is flat out laughable! I never knew this film was so..... just plain BAD!! Mercy!

Worf

When I first saw it as a kid, I was very impressed with the parting of the waters,
also when Moses received the tablets.
And yet though I was just a kid, I was embarrassed for the actors with regards to the
acting which I felt was very corny.
But I kept my thoughts to myself.
I was thrilled my folks took me to the theater.
Watching it today, I share the same sentiments as Worf.

Last edited:

Worf

"Ben Hur" is the only one of the Bible epics that I will watch - it is the only good movie of the lot as far as I know (not saying I've seen all of them, but at least most).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The silent Ben Hur has it all over the talkie version. Ramon Novarro and Francis X. Bushman are magnificent. The silent Ten Commandments is nothing like the talking version -- the Bible material is basically just a prologue to a dreary modern-day story -- but it's quite impressive for its time.

I do give DeMille credit, though, for going out of his way to give Edward G. Robinson a job in the 1956 "Commandments." Robinson had been blacklisted, and was going thru a very bad time in his life at that point, and for DeMille -- one of Hollywood's most hard-line right-wingers -- to hire him basically told the rest of Hollywood that he was "acceptable" again.

I've never seen a Bible movie that left me truly satisfied. I'm still wating for "Jael and Sisera."

Thanks, Worf! I must say, though, that coming back to the lounge feels like "coming home." I've really missed this place. Plus, I've spent way too much time on FB and Twitter lately. Getting tired of the vapidness of social media.

My book is about the POW camps in Nebraska during World War II - they held Germans and Italians. Here's the link if you're interested:

Nebraska POW Camps: A World War II History of Prisoners in the Heartland

Just added your book to my Amazon cart (my girlfriend and I wait 'till we have several things in it, then we order, but your book will be in the next order) - I'm excited to read it.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Last night a double feature: "Scarface" (1932) with Paul Muni and George Raft, and "The Blue Gardenia" (1953) with Anne Baxter, Richard Conte and Ann Sothern. Both good in a film noir sort of way. Lots of hats in Scarface.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Can't believe either one of them would be thrilled about that.

28tcb9e.png

"Well...nobody's perfect ! "

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The silent Ben Hur has it all over the talkie version. Ramon Novarro and Francis X. Bushman are magnificent. The silent Ten Commandments is nothing like the talking version -- the Bible material is basically just a prologue to a dreary modern-day story -- but it's quite impressive for its time.

I do give DeMille credit, though, for going out of his way to give Edward G. Robinson a job in the 1956 "Commandments." Robinson had been blacklisted, and was going thru a very bad time in his life at that point, and for DeMille -- one of Hollywood's most hard-line right-wingers -- to hire him basically told the rest of Hollywood that he was "acceptable" again.

I've never seen a Bible movie that left me truly satisfied. I'm still wating for "Jael and Sisera."

I too like the Silent "Ben Hur" a great deal. Amazing special effects for its day (the healing of the lepers) and it has one of fave scenes in all movie history. When the pirate captain tells a captured Roman Officer that he will be "returned to Rome... after a fashion". He then ties him to his ships ram and puts him through the side of a Roman ship!!!!! You gotta LOVE pre-code Hollywood!!!!!

Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Watched "Gone With the Wind" on my local PBS station this weekend -- no interruptions for pledge breaks. I was struck once again at how vibrant the color was, how much everything looked like the real world -- at least in contrast to today's films and their love of gloomy, muted colors and dim lighting.

And the escape from fiery Atlanta is still a great action scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe