Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Soldier in the Rain (1963) Jackie Gleason, Steve Mcqueen and Tuesday Weld. What a shame Steve and Jackie didn't teem up again! [video=youtube;-e9nfAsX2qQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9nfAsX2qQ[/video]

They really were great together in that movie. Steve fairly fresh from Wanted Dead or Alive created the character with Josh Randall's voice. lol lol
The ending was sort of depressing but there was hope. The fight scene was great. lol lol

You’re probably right. Sad really. I think some of the older actors were anti-Nazi though and fled the country. But a couple I have heard were very pro Nazi…like a producer maybe. I know Fritz Lang though fled and came to America.

It is sad - as you said, some got out (many of the artistically inclined were anti-Naizis - but not all), some were ardent believers and some were just born in Germany at the wrong time. By the end of the war, they were drafting old men and young boys into all sorts of military roles as they had - sadly - gone through their population of young men.

There is a famous film clip of Hitler coming out of his Berlin Bunker weeks (or maybe days) before he killed himself - the city is in ruins all around him - and he is "inspecting" a troop of boys (and they look like boys of 12 to 15 years old or there about) that are "defending" the city. In this fascinating film clip, you can see Hitler's hand trembling uncontrollably, which - with along with other evidence - has caused many to believe he was already suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
It is sad - as you said, some got out (many of the artistically inclined were anti-Naizis - but not all), some were ardent believers and some were just born in Germany at the wrong time. By the end of the war, they were drafting old men and young boys into all sorts of military roles as they had - sadly - gone through their population of young men.

There is a famous film clip of Hitler coming out of his Berlin Bunker weeks (or maybe days) before he killed himself - the city is in ruins all around him - and he is "inspecting" a troop of boys (and they look like boys of 12 to 15 years old or there about) that are "defending" the city. In this fascinating film clip, you can see Hitler's hand trembling uncontrollably, which - with along with other evidence - has caused many to believe he was already suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's disease.
I’ve seen that clip. Yeah, his hand is trembling. Fear or more likely Parkinson’s. I also heard he might have had syphilis which affected his mind. Otoh, I heard the man had trouble with sex, so I dunno.

I do think he was a drug addict.

Personally I think he’d gone mad by that time. He overruled his generals, was convinced (after the many assassination attempts) that everyone was out to kill him. He was a mess.

I’ve seen that clip. Yeah, his hand is trembling. Fear or more likely Parkinson’s. I also heard he might have had syphilis which affected his mind. Otoh, I heard the man had trouble with sex, so I dunno.

I do think he was a drug addict.

Personally I think he’d gone mad by that time. He overruled his generals, was convinced (after the many assassination attempts) that everyone was out to kill him. He was a mess.

You are spot on on the drug stuff - it's been pretty well documented. He had - like many of our rock stars from years gone by - his one doctor who was pumping full of all sorts of concoctions. And playing to type, there are good records of what he gave him. Recently, either the History Channel or the Smithsonian channel had a documentary on his drug addiction and doctor running in regular rotation.

I've heard the syphilis thing as well, but as you noted, I'm not sure he was very active sexually, but it only takes one time with the wrong person.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Assassin (1963) in Japanese with subtitles. 1850's Japan, forced to open up to the West via Commodore Perry's armed visit, is in political turmoil between factions loyal to the Emperor and factions loyal to the military leader charged with defending the country from foreign intervention (the shogun). One man coordinates the master-less samurai into an army whose loyalties are unclear. The strength of the film is in the direction, which appears to be influenced by the French new wave. Some freeze frames in midst of actions scenes seem jarring but are done well. There's a first person point of view sequence that works quite well.
...aaaannd The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, from 1933, in German with subtitles. Fritz Lang does an amazing job. Super-criminal and his gang plot a "reign of crime." See it it you can~

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

That's why, when I hear people say, the WWII veterans are all about gone, I tell them that there are German Boy soldiers that are only turning 82 this year.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
He overruled his generals, was convinced (after the many assassination attempts) that everyone was out to kill him. He was a mess.

He was also convinced, because of all the assassination attempts he had survived, that God had made him the Fuhrer, and every thing he ordered, including the complete annihilation of the German people, was God's will!

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Just saw '71, a 2014 British film about "the Troubles" in Northern Ireland set in Belfast, 1971. Private in the Paras gets separated from his unit and has to survive. Quite intense, very well done.

Last edited:

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Oh my…I watched a film last night that was quite possibly the worst excuse for a sci fi film I’ve seen in year. Lol The Day Mars invaded Earth. 1963. Oh ….how do I begin with this stinker?
It was an early 60s sci fi film that was clearly designed to be shown in drive-ins…a film to take your date to when you had other things on your mind than the film. It was so bad it was funny.
Firsst, it was very low budget. I sort of expect that given the era. But this one obviously tried to save money on special effects. None that I could tell. It’s sort of a cross between War of the Worlds, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and involves Martians duplicating a scientist and his family to prepare for their invasion.
But there are no Martians! Or at least you really never see them, rather you see the effects of their sinister machinations. In other words, rather than spend money on special effects and martian suits (and hire actors to play the roles) you have the same 4 or 5 actors playing dual roles. We don’t see the Martians. We see the same actors pretending to be ‘possessed’ by the Martians. Or not actually possessed…duplicated, except they look exactly like the main characters. I don’t know. It was funny. J

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
FINALLY saw Truffait's first film, The 400 Blows. That was devastating, but wonderful. I also got several old Jacques Tati films on DVD, including the 1957 Mon Oncle, and his first full length film Jour de Fetes, from 1949, and Trafic, from 1971. All HIGHLY recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe