Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

As bad as those were, the "newer" technology of clipping a lead to your antenna so that you would listen to the movie's soundtrack through your car stereo was often worse.

When The Empire Strikes Back opened in 1980, I foolishly allowed a friend to convince me to see it at a local drive-in theater because he didn't want to wait in one of those lines that encircled the walk-in theaters. The problem was that, throughout the movie, the broadcast from one of the local radio stations kept intermittently bleeding through; sometimes it would blend in with the movie's soundtrack, other times it would override it completely. So, there we sat, watching Luke Skywalker in a duel with Darth Vader, not to the sound of John Williams' brilliant score, but to the B-52s' "Rock Lobster". :frusty:

The Rock Lobster Duel in Space. lol lol lol Tin roof rusting!

The First Avenger.
Ah, okay. I know Marvel was in a hurry to get The Avengers made, but I wish they would have waited and made another Captain America movie set in the 1940s because I really liked The First Avenger.

The Rock Lobster Duel in Space. lol lol lol Tin roof rusting!
Yeah, not what I'd call a stellar moviegoing experience. :mmph: I can laugh about it now, but at the time I wasn't happy.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Saw a 2014 French Israeli production Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem last night. Essentially, it's an account of a Gett (divorce) proceedings before an Israeli rabbinical court. I was fascinated by the procedural techniques of the court itself- but the dynamic between the husband and wife and their advocates ( essentially, attorneys) was I think what most people focus on. I'd like to read Miss Lizzie's impression of it.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Saw a 2014 French Israeli production Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem last night. Essentially, it's an account of a Gett (divorce) proceedings before an Israeli rabbinical court. I was fascinated by the procedural techniques of the court itself-

Viviane is Esmerelda tried before an ecclesiastical court. Orthodox rabbinic law ignores the individual flame of nature,
and, like Catholic canon law often eludes the human heart. But did Viviane win her freedom by some chance?

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Viviane is Esmerelda tried before an ecclesiastical court. Orthodox rabbinic law ignores the individual flame of nature,
and, like Catholic canon law often eludes the human heart. But did Viviane win her freedom by some chance?

What? And spoil the movie for you by revealing the ending? [huh]

Esmerelda she's not, though: Vivianne's antagonists are not evil and she's not the pitiful victim.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I think Metropolis Was one of the finest films ever. I’ve often wondered, though, what became of the actors of that film during the war years? How many of those kids became soldiers of the Third Reich?

Metropolis+by+4gottenlore+.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
What? And spoil the movie for you by revealing the ending? [huh]

Esmerelda she's not, though: Vivianne's antagonists are not evil and she's not the pitiful victim.

Comparison to Esmerelda was more figurative than literal.
She did not face an inquisition but rather a strict court some might describe as biased, misogynistic.
But spoil away. Spill the beans. :)

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Ok based on the recommendation in another thread of a fellow member here, I just watched the Brad Pitt film ‘Fury‘..

Fury was, imo, an excellent film that did what it set out to do. It tells a good story and depicts the brutality of war in WW2. It also told the heroic story of the tank battalions of WW2 and what they were up against. They were usually outgunned by the superior Panzer and especially the formidable Tiger tanks the Germans had.

The violence was not, imo, gratuitous as it was a film about the brutality that went on during that war.

I liked the Brad Pitt character as well as the Shia LaBeouf one. I also liked that this film was unafraid to mention a few Bible verses and do so without ridiculing it.

Also at the end as the camera was slowly zooming out and we saw the hulk of that tank in the road, I thought it reminded me of an old tomb. And it was a tomb.

I had an uncle who stormed the beach at Normandy and fought his way all the way to Berlin. He wasn’t in a Tank battalion though. He was infantry. So I thought of him a lot during this film.

Good film. I’d put this film right up there alongside ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘Platoon’. J
220px-Fury_2014_poster.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Soldier in the Rain (1963) Jackie Gleason, Steve Mcqueen and Tuesday Weld. What a shame Steve and Jackie didn't teem up again! [video=youtube;-e9nfAsX2qQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9nfAsX2qQ[/video]

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
If they lived in Germany and could hold a gun, my bet is they ended up in the German army.
You’re probably right. Sad really. I think some of the older actors were anti-Nazi though and fled the country. But a couple I have heard were very pro Nazi…like a producer maybe. I know Fritz Lang though fled and came to America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe