Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I had to look it up, but, yes it was. I had never seen it before. Hard to believe he got a PHD while his body was going down hill! Hard enough with a sound body. Then again, he had an extra sound mind compared to the rest of us!

The cosmic unfairness of it all is almost like something from Homer. "We will give you knowledge mortal... more than other men... But there will be a price!"

Worf

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The cosmic unfairness of it all is almost like something from Homer. "We will give you knowledge mortal... more than other men... But there will be a price!"

Worf

Or the Homeric aphorism, "Aphrodite robs the wits of the wise so'er prudent;" referring to Alan Turing instead.
Have started Andrew Hodges' Alan Turing: The Enigma as preface to the film The Imitation Game.
Turing always reminded me of Keats in some ways, a melancholic soul whose tragic death leaves the world less.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Combat Double Bill:

"The Story of G.I. Joe" - Wellman directs what I consider the best during war picture ever made. Many of the extras were real G.I.s from the Italian campaign... some were later killed in the Pacific at Okinawa as was Ernie Pyle the narrator of the piece. When Sgt. Warnicki finally breaks down from hearing his sons recorded voice for the first time... they just don't make like that any more.

"Sahara" - Bogart in another film made during WWII about early U.S. Tankers learning their trade in the North African desert against Rommell. Excellent performances from an ensemble cast of all races and nationalities. Not a rah rah pic by any means but a tough knock down drag out on all sides.

Worf

"Sahara" - Bogart in another film made during WWII about early U.S. Tankers learning their trade in the North African desert against Rommell. Excellent performances from an ensemble cast of all races and nationalities. Not a rah rah pic by any means but a tough knock down drag out on all sides.

I watched that one last night!

At last got around to watching 'The Hobbit-Desolation of Smaug'. Walmart finally knocked the price down.
I loved all Tolkien's books, and really, really had such high hopes for these films. The sets are amazing, but the amount of fast paced, adrenaline rush inducing c.g.i. makes me miss the old Rankin-Bass cartoon.:(

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Combat Double Bill:

"The Story of G.I. Joe" - Wellman directs what I consider the best during war picture ever made. Many of the extras were real G.I.s from the Italian campaign... some were later killed in the Pacific at Okinawa as was Ernie Pyle the narrator of the piece. When Sgt. Warnicki finally breaks down from hearing his sons recorded voice for the first time... they just don't make like that any more.

Worf

Great choice! I was very disappointed, when last month I decided to watch Sahara, only to see Jim Belushi instead of Bogart. Some movies should never be remade! Harvey is another classic that comes to mind.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
At last got around to watching 'The Hobbit-Desolation of Smaug'.
I loved all Tolkien's books, and really, really had such high hopes for these films. The sets are amazing, but the amount of fast paced, adrenaline rush inducing c.g.i....(

Tolkien was all the rage on campus when I was in college, but his work seemed warmed over Wizard of Oz; so I skipped him
completely much to my still later regret. Might revisit this past error sometime in the future, but the flick trailers I have caught
echo your opinion. :coffee:

Edward

Bartender
At last got around to watching 'The Hobbit-Desolation of Smaug'. Walmart finally knocked the price down.
I loved all Tolkien's books, and really, really had such high hopes for these films. The sets are amazing, but the amount of fast paced, adrenaline rush inducing c.g.i. makes me miss the old Rankin-Bass cartoon.:(

It was a bold move to make a film of The Hobbit after the ...Rings, in much the same way that the book (which was, of course, written for a completely different audience) doesn't hold up the same to the latter. I liked the basic notion of what they did - paddinbg out the basic storyline with content gleaned from elsewhere in the Tolkien canon. I could have lived without the invented love-trianlge, which added nothing to the story other than a female protagonist (which I assume to have been the main aim). The second part I found entertaining, but having seen all three it is notably the weakest, and could have done with a tighter edit. There's a good thirty minutes could have been lost without any damage to the film as a whole. The barrel rider sequence is heavily over-played in particular.

I was flipping around the other night, and happened upon a rather strange British sci-fi comedy called "The World's End". It was odd, and really two films in one and a bit disjointed; nonetheless, it was strangly appealing and fun to watch. The main theme was about creeping comformity and how small towns are becoming "quaint", homogeneous little outposts, like kiosks in a mall. The kind of thing Lizzie goes on about.

Willybob

A-List Customer
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82