Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The last movie I watched in a theater.

Raiders of the Lost Ark ~ 1984 ~ .

But just recently, my bank loan was approved so I may be able to go again.
In the meantime just finished watching "Fail-Safe" on TCM.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Guardians of the Galaxy - Honestly, I found it kinda dumb. Not in a bad way, though, because through the stupidity of it all, that's what made the movie enjoyable. I wouldn't really call it "quirky" dumb fun like I would The Grand Budapest Hotel, but it's along that wave length. It's a lot like an Adam Sandler movie: full of laughs and a hot babe, and wacky other things. However, it's hardly the "savior of the summer blockbuster" that it's been hailed as. It holds far too many traits about it that just seemed too Millennial as a film. I loved the use of prosthetic make-up in it, and the retro 70's and 80's music, but the film itself was just so busy. It suffers from what a lot of films suffer from these days: too much story. The origin of the summer blockbuster was simple, and this one just packed so much into a two hour film. The thing about a two hour film is that it should feel like it's two hours. It should be able to be broken up into, 3 or 4 acts, and it shouldn't really have too many locations. They went to, what, 5 different locations? Take a movie like Raiders of the Lost Ark. They keep it simple: jungle, University, Nepal, desert. Or Jaws: Amity and Ocean. Or Jurassic Park: desert, Costa Rican cafe, island. In Raiders, alone, they were only in one spot for the entirety of Nepal: Marion's bar. We didn't see Indy in the airport, we didn't see Indy going to the Bar, or leaving it, or stopping to ask for directions. We just see Marion's bar. That's it. Simple. GotG, like many blockbusters these days, feel the need to show as much of every setting as they can. Entering the location, getting to the location, interacting within the location in several different areas, having a conflict in the location, and finally leaving the location with a purpose. Hell, that was the entirety of the Cairo scene, which made up most of Raiders! Guardians of the Galaxy uses this formula for 3 different scenes: Nova Corps fight, Prison, AND Knowhere. Granted, the scenes are of varying length, but the nature of a repetitive formula makes for an overly crowded film.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed watching Raiders of the Lost Ark. The fact that in the fight scene between Indy &
the nazi soldier in a speeding truck that travels from the jungle, to a mountaintop & then flat desert all within seconds
does not prevent me from watching it again.
:D

But maybe it's my line of work that I notice little things.
For example. In a reality show, a guy is climbing a mountain that has never been done before. He tells us ( the camera) of the
possible dangers & so on. So we see him climbing up ....but when he reaches near the top...we see a front shot from the
top of the mountain to capture his face of joy ...what I would like to know is...

if he is the first one to ever attempt this...who the heck is doing the camera work from the top of the mountain ? [huh]

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed watching Raiders of the Lost Ark. The fact that in the fight scene between Indy &
the nazi soldier in a speeding truck that travels from the jungle, to a mountaintop & then flat desert all within seconds
does not prevent me from watching it again.
:D
Considering that Cairo is on the Nile, where there is considerably more foliage, especially before the construction of the Aswan High Dam, and also considering that if the truck moved along the Nile before turning East for Berlin, it's not entirely impossible for the geography to work. Is it a huge stretch? Yes, but it's not impossible.

treasure-raiders-241895l.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Saw Unbroken and The Gambler tonight. One was an excellent film with an exquisite eye for detail, and the other was The Gambler.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Considering that Cairo is on the Nile, where there is considerably more foliage, especially before the construction of the Aswan High Dam, and also considering that if the truck moved along the Nile before turning East for Berlin, it's not entirely impossible for the geography to work. Is it a huge stretch? Yes, but it's not impossible.

4h7eo1.jpg

Well gosh...that's a pretty darn big stretch if ya ask me !

( nice avatar Jimmy ) :D

"The Giant Gila Monster" 1959
c9dff888641b4b4af833db1d6848a8fc.jpg

Hot rodders, lame@ss excuse for rock-n-roll, a good hearted, no-nonsense sheriff with a moustache like Big Man, and a giant gila monster. Now that's a way to spend a Saturday night.

There may have been some vodka involved, too.

That was his coniving intention. :p

The Devil's Hand works again:p

I believe it was.
Fueled by his grapefruit juice and vodka drinks, with the little bonsai tree in the glass. :D
The youtube version wasn't clear enough, so I spent 10 minutes looking for the DVD (I actually had that episode).

I have it on DVD too, only straight up, not the MST3K version.

The little pine tree makes the vodka taste like gin:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82