Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Greyryder, I like it too.
Don't let them shame you on your love of history, and one of the founding fathers. :D
I think you've struck on the two main reasons Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter didn't impress me.

First, there was far more "vampire movie" than "history"; the book found a much better balance between the two, which is a little surprising considering the author of the book wrote the screenplay. Second, every time I saw Benjamin Walker on screen I wasn't thinking "Abraham 'Founding Father/16th President' Lincoln", I was thinking "Liam Neeson". [huh]

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
There had to be vampires to hunt, in order for Honest Abe to be interesting (as a vampire hunter).
If he waited until the season opened, or obeyed the vampire limit, the movie wouldn't have done well. ;)

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Gangster Squad. It was ok, but could have been much better. Sean Penn as the bad guy boss,..ehm, [huh]
I would have cast maybe Jack Nicholson in that part. I probably would have cast the entire movie differently come to think of it. None of the actors were really able to pull off the corny stereotype rolls they were cast in, so I have to blame the script also. I'd give it a C-plus overall. Watchable, if you're into gangster themed movies. It did have some amazing cars though. :D

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Good analysis of Lifeboat Worf. Makes me want to watch it. I only saw parts of it a long time ago when it was on TV. I was just a kid and missed all the subtleties of the plot.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
A Man Escaped (1956) French, directed by Robert Bresson; chronicles a French soldier's plan to escape from a Nazi prison. In French with subtitles.

and, I Married a Witch (1942) Fredric March and Veronica Lake; directed by Rene Clair. Evidently Preston Sturges and Dalton Trumbo had a part in it. Okay, but not as much fun as other screwball comedies of that era.

Blood of Dracula (1957). Nancy Perkins is shipped off to an all-girls school so that her father and new stepmother can have some private "hanky panky" time together. Not long after she arrives her science teacher uses hypnosis and a mystical amulet to turn her into a vampiric Eddie Munster in drag, and she begins killing her girls-gone-bad-who-act-like-they're-running-a-women's-penitentiary dormmates. If you ever have the chance to watch this movie...don't.

A Man Escaped (1956) French, directed by Robert Bresson; chronicles a French soldier's plan to escape from a Nazi prison. In French with subtitles.

and, I Married a Witch (1942) Fredric March and Veronica Lake; directed by Rene Clair. Evidently Preston Sturges and Dalton Trumbo had a part in it. Okay, but not as much fun as other screwball comedies of that era.

I thought Veronica Lake rescued "So I Married a Witch" from being unwatchable - March was wooden and the plot was seemingly made up as they went along, but Lake shined as a witch having fun and doubt and falling in love (very much a precursor of TV's Bewitched).

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Blood of Dracula (1957). Nancy Perkins is shipped off to an all-girls school so that her father and new stepmother can have some private "hanky panky" time together. Not long after she arrives her science teacher uses hypnosis and a mystical amulet to turn her into a vampiric Eddie Munster in drag, and she begins killing her girls-gone-bad-who-act-like-they're-running-a-women's-penitentiary dormmates. If you ever have the chance to watch this movie...don't.
The one in 1974 (with the same name) staring Udo Kier is much better.
Seen it, have it in fact. :D

That wasn't that bad. Watch the 1974 one and you will want to jump off a building. :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Benvenuti al sud", an Italian remake of the French film, "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis". Very enjoyable light comedy about a post office manager from Milan who gets banished to the town of Castellabate in the "uncivilised" south of Italy. Some very funny scenes.

"Gilda" - Rita Hayworth.... good God Almighty! How DOES she stay in that dress???!!!!

Worf

Never before, nor after, did Rita Hayworth look better in a movie (and she looked very good in many of them). But it wasn't simply physical - she seemed to spark with Glenn Ford / the script played to her strengths (the best delivery of a song by her ever ["Put the Blame on Mame"]) and she seemed truly to be enjoying herself in the movie.

Maybe because her life became so tangled later, she couldn't recapture the joy she seems to have had during Gilda. And, IMHO, her entrance in Gilda is the best entrance in a movie by any female star ever: it was joy, beauty, youth and just a bit of "I get the joke" attitude all wrapped around a mountain of hair.

(Regardless of your opinion of the movie, I would give Orson Welles' entrance in "The Third Man" [wet, desolate street, his mass tucked in a doorway, coming in and out of view with the overhead blinking light and with a wry smile on his face] my vote for best entrance in a movie by a male actor.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe