Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Harmony Heaven (1930) the first all-talking colour film made in the UK (although there are no longer any colour prints of it).

harmonyheaven_zps15daa860.jpg

I've reviewed it on my British film blog including a short piece on the apparent obsession among British film directors of the 1930s to get actresses to show their underwear:
PollyWardfixesherstockings1_zps708b0855.jpg

(It seems some things never change)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Thief starring James Caan and written/directed by Michael Mann. Everything is excellent about this film, in my opinion, and I'm glad I bought a copy since I will watch it many times in the years to come.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

The guys from work got together and watched "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", "Gangster Squad", "Dirty Harry", and "Kill Bill" this month. Some of Tuco's sayings since he was "The Ugly":

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

[a dying man has information Tuco wants]
Tuco: Don't die, I'll get you water. Stay there. Don't move, I'll get you water. Don't die until later.

Later

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
1961MJS said:
The guys from work got together and watched "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", "Gangster Squad", "Dirty Harry", and "Kill Bill" this month.
Although I haven't seen Gangster Squad, you've listed the other three in the correct order of declining quality!

Inspired by posts on this thread, I tried to watch Plan 9 with my kids. The first time Vampira came on screen it was over. My two 7 yr olds FREAKED. We ended up watching John Carter instead. It's weird what scares a kid and what doesn't.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Although I haven't seen Gangster Squad...
If you've seen movies like The Untouchables, Mulholland Falls, and/or L.A. Confidential, you've seen Gangster Squad. It's not a bad movie (except for a couple of truly cheesy and forced lines of dialogue), but it's unremarkable in the respect that it doesn't contain anything you haven't seen before if you're a fan of the genre. I like it, but in my opinion the aforementioned movies were better executed.

After seeing it mentioned in the Movie Hats That Inspired You thread, I watched Lawless a few days ago. "Based on actual events", the book this movie is based on was written by the grandson of Jack Bondurant (played by Shia LaBeouf). Set in depression/prohibition era Virginia, it tells the story of the three Bondurant brothers' attempts to maintain their moonshine business and their way of life after corrupt Chicago law enforcement officer Charlie Rakes (Guy Pearce) arrives with an ultimatum for all of the local bootleggers--pay me a sizable part of your profits, and I'll look the other way; don't, and I'll shut you down with extreme prejudice. My description of the plot is an over-simplification, but it's an interesting story and the movie manages to tell it without idealizing or glorifying the locals beyond the "local legend" status of Forrest Bondurant (Tom Hardy in a brilliant performance). Definitely worth seeing in my opinion, but the occasional violence depicted is rather brutal and realistic, and the movie contains adult language, brief nudity, racism, and one rape scene (implied, not shown on screen), so anyone who finds such things distasteful has been warned.

Just watched the original 'Men In black' on AMC. I had forgotten how funny and clever it actually was.
HD

Have you seen MIB III? The 2nd one was a mess but #3 gives a lot to think about. And Josh Brolin is spot on as a young Tommy Lee Jones.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Just finished White House Down. One review I read was right, it's basically Die Hard in the white house. Still a decent waste of 2+ hours of my life.

It had a lot more humor than the same movie I saw last spring, Olympus Has Fallen.

The Mummy's Ghost
Poor Kharis is getting pretty tired.

You wanna know a good mummy flick.....Bubba Ho Tep. Maybe I'll look at that one again soon.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Mummy's Ghost
Poor Kharis is getting pretty tired.

You wanna know a good mummy flick.....Bubba Ho Tep. Maybe I'll look at that one again soon.

Not a family flick, but Bubba Ho Tep is a riot. :D
A favorite in our household.

I'm going through movies of the 1970's, and since I have a fascination with Steam Trains (to an extent), I found
The Railway Children from 1970.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe