Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
This weekend:

Dial M For Murder (1954)

The Shop Around The Corner (1940)

A Man Called Horse (1970)

I thought the first two were great and the third was very good.

- Ian

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Did you like it? I'm a big fan of the originals (I need to read the book again) and I enjoyed this 'prequil' way more than I thought I would.

LD

I did enjoy it - and was surprised that I did! I only saw the original movie in full a year ago and when I saw the trailer for the prequel I thought I'd give it a shot. The movie started well - my only quibbles are that the apes time out on the streets seemed a bit short - I would have liked to have seen more of them marauding around SF and the CGI at the end was pretty poor. But apart from that it was very good.

I saw Barney's Version last night.

Edward

Bartender
"Children of Men"

Great film - absolutely hilarious.

That would be the ONLY reason I'd suffer through that again. :p I tell people I'm still waiting for Kim Basinger's Oscar performance.... :rolleyes:

Did she win one for it? I don't know - never really followed the Oscars. Always mystified me how anyone could take them seriously - though I know were I an actor I'd be very glad of the extra premium they seem to add to the paycheque, however unfathomable I find the notion. Can't honestly say I've ever been motivated to go and see anything because of Oscar buzz, or indeed thought any more of any particular performer, director, or whatever because of some little gold statue. [huh]

I'm wholly indifferent to Basinger in anything I've seen her in. She's perfectly adequate in this, but nothing remarkable.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"I Accuse," Jose Ferrer's 1959 recreation of the Dreyfus Affair. A decent history-book engraving of the story, but some of the directoral choices were maddening -- random cutaways during scenes of tight drama really got annoying. Ferrer himself made an excellent Dreyfus though -- a rather mediocre, ordinary man caught up in an epic struggle entirely beyond his control, and never really understanding the forces at work behind the scenes.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Saw a pair of animal flicks over the weekend. First was "Prancer", a schmaltzy but lovable Christmas story. Have a few hankies at the ready. really dopey, but sweet.
Second was a true masterpiece, "The Story of the Weeping Camel", (2003). Set in Mongolia, it traces the birth of a baby Bactrian camel and its subesequent rejection by its mother. Sort if a docu-drama. It's just an amazing and wonderful picture.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Did she win one for it? I don't know - never really followed the Oscars. Always mystified me how anyone could take them seriously - though I know were I an actor I'd be very glad of the extra premium they seem to add to the paycheque, however unfathomable I find the notion. Can't honestly say I've ever been motivated to go and see anything because of Oscar buzz, or indeed thought any more of any particular performer, director, or whatever because of some little gold statue. [huh]

I'm wholly indifferent to Basinger in anything I've seen her in. She's perfectly adequate in this, but nothing remarkable.

Whole heartily agree. My mother & I decided to watch some Oscar films from a few years back & I think I dropped out of the agreement after "No Country for Old Men". Can honestly say that's the worst film I've ever seen... I'll never understand those statues either. It seems those who deserve them never win. [huh]

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To Catch a Thief (1955)

My lady likes Cary Grant and I like Grace Kelly. And we both love Hitchcock! I particularly liked the way Hitch used editing to cut scenes in a very dissonant and jarring manner. It added to the suspense! Great film.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
To Catch a Thief (1955)

My lady likes Cary Grant and I like Grace Kelly. And we both love Hitchcock! I particularly liked the way Hitch used editing to cut scenes in a very dissonant and jarring manner. It added to the suspense! Great film.

Strangely enough I found it to be one of Hitchcock's weaker movies from that era - it has everything it needs to be excellent - cast, location, cinematography, script, costumes, chemistry and romance but I always find it a bit lacking - I think it slows down towards the end, loses momentum and is maybe a little overlong. It's not like Rear Window, Vertigo or even the flawed and unappreciated Marnie - these I can watch time and time again and never tire of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe