Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"Handbrake endings"

...I call 'em. No buildup; the plot just stops in a good stopping place. An ambulance comes out of nowhere and maybe a minute later it's mentioned offhand that Gable was "taken for a ride." Telegraphic. Very typically 30s.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Safe in Hell (1931), with Dorothy McKaill (another right hottie) as a hooker and murderess. Sad ending - she has to hang to avoid white slavery. Plenty of characters and snappy dialog.

I started watching that & then wandered off to cut my hair because I loved the way hers looked short. :eek:

carter

I'll Lock Up
Last evening, Midnight Mary with Loretta Young and Franchot Tone last evening. No wonder I'm a huge Loretta Young fan! She looks great in anything!

This morning, It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. What a beautiful lady she was and what wonderful clothes. Gable had a nice comic flair but his performances always seem to have a dark undertone. Is that just me or do others sense that as well?

pgoat

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
I have to add that Night Nurse made me want hats. Lots and lots of hats. I'm such a girly girl.

well, I am coveting more stingy brim fedoras after The Ipcress File last night...guess that makes me a .....girly boy?:p

pgoat

One Too Many
I have put off watching The Collector which I taped on the recommendation of a friend. But I am ready for 1966 in my chronological madness marathon so I forced myself to put it in.....it's just too disturbing. I've skimmed it before but I just don't think I wanna go there. I recall finding a whole website devoted to how people thought the film (and I believe, a book that preceded it) were an inspiration for sex-crazed serial killers.....I think I'll skip ahead to '66, where (in my home library) What's Up Tiger Lily, Batman and a live DVD of Thelonius Monk await......

of course Tiger Lily is also kinda creepy given that whole Woody Allen/Soon Yi thing.......but not as creepy as The Collector. Just the first few minutes where Terrance Stamp captures a butterfly were enough to turn me off. I think I'll just use the tape to dub tomorrow morning's 2 episodes of Melrose Place on the SOAP channel, a weekly guilty pleasure for the missus and me every Sat. Morning.....mindless but fun after a week of draining work.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
pgoat said:
Btw, there is a Hitchcock marathon coming up on Sundance channel:

http://www.sundancechannel.com/on_air_event/210260418
Funny, I just watched two Hitchcock films: To Catch a Thief and Rope.

I think Rope was one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in a long, long time. Stewart was great, of course, but the whole idea was just chilling. Fantastic cinematography, with the entire thing being filmed in one shot per reel. More like a play than a movie, and the scene where the maid is clearing off the trunk while the conversation plays out just off screen was brilliant. No one would even attempt to do anything like that today.

pgoat

One Too Many
A buddy of mine fell asleep in the theater during Amadeus - this was back in '84. I thought it was cute - till he started sawing wood, very very loudly.

I had a newsboy cap with me, which I always wore back then, so I put it over his face to muffle the sound - which scared the wolfgang outta him and he woke with a scream......now that was funny!

It all made the movie more entertaining! tho I doubt the other attendees appreciated our performance.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I Am Legend on opening day. Very good, and not nearly so different from The Omega Man as the reviews said. (Despite the latest technobabble, it's still pretty silly.) Will Smith commands the screen on his own wonderfully, and the deserted-NYC shots/effects are absolutely great. However, the vampire creatures are pretty unbelievable, and 95% of them were obviously lame CGI effects. And as the reviews said, the last act comes up too fast and isn't satisfying.

And I have to say, the mostly very young (barely teenage) crowd in the theater were the noisiest, most annoying audience I've ever had the misfortune to see a film with. I expected this to some extent - hey, mall movie theater Friday at 7:30 - but it made me weep for the bleak feature of humanity in a way different than the filmmakers intended!

pgoat

One Too Many
I think it has something to do with the throwaway culture of today. No point in paying attention becuase you can just rewind if you miss anything. Even if you can't do it in the theater, the dvd will be out in a few months.

In my youth, one paid through the nose for a movie ticket, but paid attention; there were no vcrs or dvds to save you if you missed something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe