Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
RetroBabydoll said:
That's one of my favorites of his. I'm glad you were able to watch it with your family.
My family is kind of strange. We always try to watch new (to us) movies together. Makes for some great commentaries, that's for sure.

zaika said:
Inspector General anyone?

I actually had to run out on this one because it was too funny and I was embarrassed for the character. I do that sometimes. :eek:

Oh, and the last movie I watched was Naughty Marietta (1935). I am now jealous of Jeanette MacDonald's voice. I need to stop watching musicals. They are making me discontent with my own voice!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
GwenLake said:
I actually had to run out on this one because it was too funny and I was embarrassed for the character. I do that sometimes. :eek:

Oh, and the last movie I watched was Naughty Marietta (1935). I am now jealous of Jeanette MacDonald's voice. I need to stop watching musicals. They are making me discontent with my own voice!
:eek:fftopic:
I am the same way on both accounts.
I have had to turn off many I Love Lucy episodes for this very reason.

It took me a very long time to learn to appreciate my singing voice, and I still lament that I am not a Coloratura.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
pgoat said:
The book is great as well. I love that film - Donald Crisp's finest moment. The only parts that make me gag are all the singing scenes. I don't mind miners singing while commuting but it shouldn't sound like the Mormon Tabarnacle Choir.

Yeah. It was a first rate cast over all.

I really want to read the book. I hope the wedding part is more in depth. It was tragic in the movie.

pgoat

One Too Many
I am one of those that cannot watch a musical. I have to shut it off.

the funny part is I am a musician! (amateur). i totally appreciate the talent these writers and performers have, but it just seems too silly to me.

Dancing I can watch....or people singing in a performance setting, like a cabaret or nightclub, etc.

but when people suddenly break into song while doing everyday stuff I have issues....with few exceptions. Maybe Judy G singing somewhere over the rainbow in sepia tone. Or Cecil B. Demented. Or something older that's really campy and over the top (and then only when I am in a silly mood).

My idea of a great film soundtrack is one like Fail-Safe which I just watched yesterday (talk about a depressing film). NO MUSIC at all. Same with Executive Suite, which I also love....

A lot of modern films have music piping through the background NON-stop...one of my true pet peeves......

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:
:eek:fftopic:
I am the same way on both accounts.
I have had to turn off many I Love Lucy episodes for this very reason.

It took me a very long time to learn to appreciate my singing voice, and I still lament that I am not a Coloratura.
At least you turn them off. I just jump and run, letting it play until I get up the nerve to return. Oh, well. I guess we are just too empathetic; we feel all that the characters are going through, right? :rolleyes:

I'm stuck just being an ordinary mezzo-soprano.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
pgoat said:
I am one of those that cannot watch a musical. I have to shut it off.

the funny part is I am a musician! (amateur). i totally appreciate the talent these writers and performers have, but it just seems too silly to me.

Dancing I can watch....or people in a performance setting, like a cabaret or nightclub, etc.

but when people suddenly break into song while doing everyday stuff I have issues....with few exceptions. Maybe Judy G singing somewhere over the rainbow in sepia tone. Or Cecil B. Demented. Or something older that's really campy and over the top (and then only when I am in a silly mood).

My idea of a great film soundtrack is one like Fail-Safe which I just watched yesterday (talk about a depressing film). NO MUSIC at all. Same with Executive Suite, which I also love....

A lot of modern films have music piping through the background NON-stop...one of my true pet peeves......
I love The Umbrellas of Cherbourge which is all singing and in French. I didn't think I'd like it but it was a beautiful film.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Purchase Price (1932), with Barbara Stanwyck as a chorus girl who hyes out to North Dakota as the mail order bride of George Brent. She was never sexier, and all she wears are house dresses and wool britches.

Safe in Hell (1931), with Dorothy McKaill (another right hottie) as a hooker and murderess. Sad ending - she has to hang to avoid white slavery. Plenty of characters and snappy dialog.

I love the way movies of this period run popular dance band tunes as incidental music behind the action. It's fun quizzing myself to see if there are any I don't know (there rarely are).

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
pgoat said:
OOoh! My wife just asked me what her family could get me for Xmas.....thanks for the brain jog! Do you know if it has both versions of The Big Sleep? I have both on video....I know there is a deluxe DVD of that flick with both editions...

no problemo...yep! sure does, one side is the '45 and one is the '46...i think its the way Lauren Bacalls mouth moves when she talks that gets me...thats all i look at when she is on screen...wonder if that makes me strange...

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I just went and saw Atonement at the Arclight this evening--what a fantastic film. Gorgeous cinematography, beautiful use of music and sounds, and stellar performances by James McAvoy, Saoirse Ronan and Vanessa Redgrave. I was very skeptical at first--I am loathe to watch any film with Keira Knightley--but the movie was unreal. Moved me to tears several times!

pgoat

One Too Many
SamMarlowPI said:
no problemo...yep! sure does, one side is the '45 and one is the '46...i think its the way Lauren Bacalls mouth moves when she talks that gets me...thats all i look at when she is on screen...wonder if that makes me strange...

No, that's you, me and about 10 million other guys!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
The Purchase Price (1932), with Barbara Stanwyck as a chorus girl who hyes out to North Dakota as the mail order bride of George Brent. She was never sexier, and all she wears are house dresses and wool britches.

Safe in Hell (1931), with Dorothy McKaill (another right hottie) as a hooker and murderess. Sad ending - she has to hang to avoid white slavery. Plenty of characters and snappy dialog.

I love the way movies of this period run popular dance band tunes as incidental music behind the action. It's fun quizzing myself to see if there are any I don't know (there rarely are).

Safe In Hell should come with a disclosure. It depressed me so much. I did enjoy it though and I was happy to see Nina mae MiKinney with a fairly large roll and I enjoyed her singing.

I say only a little of The Purchase Price.
I also saw Night Nurse. I thought it ended too abruptly and didn't know weather it was comedy or drama but I still enjoyed it. The cast was top notch.

pgoat

One Too Many
Night Nurse was pretty dark. Clark Gable was certainly nasty! But there were some funny moments, intentional and otherwise. for me, Pre code films often had that hard bitten comic edge. Maybe it was the depression......I got the same feeling recently from Scarface (Paul Muni) and I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, though those were obviously not comedies.

I agree it was a great cast. I loved Ben Lyon in this. He and Claudette Colbert were great in I Cover the Waterfront too. Colbert was like Spencer Tracy imho - way ahead of her time in acting talent and approach/method. That she was so beautiful was just the icing on the cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe