Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll said:
Agreed about Bogart. What about Danny Kaye? Nobody really mentions him and I think he was really talented and under rated.

Last movie I saw (if this counts) is the Are you Afraid of the Dark Season 1. I like watching shows and movies from when I was a kid.

One of my acting teachers is Elizabeth Hess, who played Melissa Joan Hart's mom throughout "Clarissa Explains It All" if you want to talk about Nickelodeon :)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Live Free or Die Hard classic Bruce Willis, loved it, it was so freakin hilarious and action packed...what else is Die Hard for??? lol great wrap up for the series...and...
Crossfire Trail...Tom Selleck kicks butt...its true...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I'm planning to see Atonement tomorrow. I'm Not There is playing at the same theater. I despise Dylan but I love Todd Haynes and friends have raved about how wonderful Cate Blanchett is so I may be swayed.

My best friend went down to Cambridge to see Atonement this afternoon, and I am anxiously awaiting her report -- this is a film we're trying very hard to get at the theatre where I work, and we're hoping it'll be a blockbuster (for us a blockbuster is 60 people a show.) So please report your impressions when you see it!

I'm Not There is another one on our possibilities list, although it might be a bit too outre for our usual crowd.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My sister (not the world's biggest Dylan fan) saw I'm Not There and found it perplexing, self-indulgent, overlong, and just too weird. She essentially hated it.

I don't know what audience Haynes made this one for, besides himself. As much as I liked Far From Heaven, I'm definitely gonna wait for the DVD...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
My sister (not the world's biggest Dylan fan) saw I'm Not There and found it perplexing, self-indulgent, overlong, and just too weird. She essentially hated it.

I don't know what audience Haynes made this one for, besides himself. As much as I liked Far From Heaven, I'm definitely gonna wait for the DVD...

Good to know Doctor Strange--my friends saw it at the Toronto Film Festival but their taste runs to the avant garde so I'm not completely assured that I'd like it. I do love Cate though...hmmm.

I'm going to the 1:45 show of Atonement for sure though--I'll report back Lizzie!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
Good to know Doctor Strange--my friends saw it at the Toronto Film Festival but their taste runs to the avant garde so I'm not completely assured that I'd like it. I do love Cate though...hmmm.

I'm going to the 1:45 show of Atonement for sure though--I'll report back Lizzie!

My friend reports that it is *very good*, and she demands that I see it at once so she can talk to me about the specifics. Which is a good sign!

She also says one of the trailers was spliced on upside down and backwards and that she complained to the management about it -- so hopefully this will be corrected by the time you see it!

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Just watched Papillon again last night havn't seen it in years. I still think one of my favorite parts is when the gaurd shoots the gator and sends them after it but its not actually dead :eek:

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
RetroBabydoll said:
What about Danny Kaye? Nobody really mentions him and I think he was really talented and under rated.
I just finished watching The Court Jester on the wall for the first time. My family really enjoyed it.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
Just watched Papillon again last night havn't seen it in years. I still think one of my favorite parts is when the gaurd shoots the gator and sends them after it but its not actually dead :eek:

McQueen is my all time favorite actor and 'Papillon' is my favorite of all his films...the gator part is actually quite hilarious. he got nominated for his acting in 'The Sand Pebbles' which was excellent but i think he should have won one hands down for the one scene in 'Papillon' where he is in solitary and crying because he can't remember the name...i get tears everytime when i watch that scene...it is so real it is amazing...just my 2 cents :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw Atonement this afternoon and I thought it was amazing.

The acting was extremely strong; Kiera Knightley really surprised me and James McAvoy is now solidly on my “I’ll watch anything he does” list (McAvoy was especially wonderful in the scene when he and Kiera meet in the tea shop and the film has one of the most erotic sex scenes I’ve ever seen). The look of the movie is amazing--the cinematography, the costumes, the sets—and the way the film is shot one is always aware of the camera, which really works. The music was like another character and added a great deal. I was moved to tears more than once.

My only criticism, which applies to nearly every modern movie I see, is that you could cut about half an hour out of the middle (I won’t say where for fear of spoilers).

I’d strongly recommend you try to book the film Lizzie—the theater was full at an early afternoon showing.

I was so moved by Atonement I didn’t bother with I’m Not There. Maybe another time.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
Just watched The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, again.

Still good after all these years.

One of my favorite films--Bogart is great in that one (but then, when isn't he great?).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Namesake

It was okay. Very linear presentation of the story. NOt really about an Indian Family, just a family that happened to be Indian. The actor who played the father was great.

LD

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night I watched an incredibley emotional film 'The Guys' (2002) starring Sigourney Weaver and Anthony LaPaglia. Made just a year after 9/11 it's the story of a fire captain who comes to a freelance journalist for help in writing eulogies for eight men he lost just ten days earlier at the World Trade Center. I just couldn't believe the acting. LaPaglia deserved an Oscar. It WILL make you cry.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
Just watched The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, again.

Still good after all these years.

I always wanted to see that one. I'll have to rent it sometime. I saw the first ten minutes yesterday but had to get ready for a Christmas party. But ten minutes of Bogie is better than ninety minutes of a lot of other people.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
I never knew Cary Grant could do physical comedy so well until I saw that.

You need to find more of his early comedies. Bringing up Baby is another great movie for watching Cary do physical comedy. Since he started out as an acrobat he often included flips and things in his early movies even when they didn't call for physical comedy.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
RetroBabydoll said:
Agreed about Bogart. What about Danny Kaye? Nobody really mentions him and I think he was really talented and under rated.

Last movie I saw (if this counts) is the Are you Afraid of the Dark Season 1. I like watching shows and movies from when I was a kid.

Ok, I'm making several posts in a row. I just started reading this thread and have lots of comments. :) This will be my last one for a bit.

Yes Danny Kaye is very underated. He had a great comic touch. The problem is he made several fairytale type movies which is the only thing people remember. So a lot of people think of him as a kids movie actor. When you see some of his adult character roles it's a different story. There is the classic White Christmas, but also early movies like Wonder Man. That movie also has one of the best dance numbers I've ever seen Vera-Ellen perform.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
On TCM last night I watched Notorious and Now Voyager.

I was flipping through the channels last night and I saw that double feature--wished I had TCM; two of my favorite movies. I did see Hannah and Her Sisters though, which I haven't watched in awhile. So many good lines in that one and NYC looks beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe