Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The Philadelphia Story (1940) 8/10. I take back whatever negative thing I ever said about this film! The three leads are nothing short of amazing, even the little girl was superb with a nice comic touch. As to the belief by some people that Stewart didn't deserve his Oscar-- I disagree! He was charming, witty, well-dressed(!), and I'm betting his drunk scene with Grant earned him his Oscar. Apparently, much of the scene was ad libbed and the results make for the best scene in the whole movie. I wish to heck Stewart had played more roles like this, instead of the "aw, shucks" everyman he usually played. Katharine Hepburn was at her peak in a role written just for her. She also looked her best, to say nothing of her bathing suit scene. Cary Grant had a rather thankless role here, but comes off as more of a flawed "regular Joe" than I'd ever seen him in, not counting Penny Serenade. Not a "LOL" type comedy, but wry smiles galore. Outstanding.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
I applaud you for this...

Brian Sheridan said:
Just showed "All the President's Men" to my newswriting class. It is sad that college students do not know anything about Nixon and Watergate. I could have told them it was all made-up and they would have believed me. The movie makes me wonder where has the media gone that could have exposed a crime like Watergate, and a public that believed Woodward and Bernstein.
One of the benefits of this film is that it was made so soon after the book was publised, i.e. in that era so the local color and flavor of it was so well captured.

Also, let me add that when educating the public during our WWII living history events as a war correspondent the press was a self-censoring group that knew what to report and what to hold back. Any one of them could have lost his or her accreditation for writing about anything compromising or sensitive. Eisenhower had their support, and they had his. He told them he would never lie to them, but he expected them to be responsible in their reporting.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
"On the road to perdition". I've seen it before, but I just got the DVD for my Gangster collection. What a character Tom Hanks is in this film as "Michael Sullivan". A man torn between two worlds; good and evil.
rtp-hanks.jpg

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
The Conversation yesterday in film class. We were discussing editing (including sound editing), so this film was perfect to watch after that discussion.

NH

RIOT

Practically Family
I saw Brian De Palma's film Redacted (2007) the other day. Don't even bother with this docu-mockery, it's bull. It made me want to punch a hole through the wall.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"The Lords of Discipline" . I catch this movie about every three or four years and its always enthralling. Its set at The Citadel (though its only referred to as "The Institute"), it was based on the Pat Conroy novel.....'nuff said!
The character of "The Bear" was the glue that held the movie together. Anyone else familiar with this one?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Streets of Fire" with Michael Pare, Diane Lane and Willam Defoe. (1984)

I haven't seen this one in years but its on cable tonight.....great movie!;)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KY Gentleman said:
"Streets of Fire" with Michael Pare, Diane Lane and Willam Defoe. (1984)

I haven't seen this one in years but its on cable tonight.....great movie!;)

Sledgehammer fights should be used to settle all disputes. :D

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Cool Hand Luke" was on tonight.
I think Paul Newman was great in this, as well as just about everything else I've ever seen him in. George Kennedy was good in this one, too.

Strother Martin had the best lines though.

just_me

Practically Family
Just finished watching Twentieth Century (John Barrymore, Carole Lombard, and Roscoe Karns). They made a fanastic musical of this in the 70s starring John Cullum, Madeline Kahn, Kevin Kline, and Imogene Coca.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe