Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
1932, cont'd.

Now watching What Price Hollywood, with Connie Bennett as a waitress at the Brown Derby, trying to get Discovered. It won't be long. Neat-o post-production effects by the one and only Slavko Vorkapich.

Good night nurse, Rochester just picked up the phone at Lowell Sherman's house!

funneman

Practically Family
I just watched:

He Walked by Night 1948
The Naked City 1948

Two great crime dramas told in a narrative style.

I just love this kind of film.

Lots of great hats too!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Unbreakable

I caught Bruce Willis's flick "Unbreakable" last night. I guess it was much maligned, but I thought it was pretty cool. Makes me sort of want to see the VERY much maligned "The Lady in the Water", also directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
I caught Bruce Willis's flick "Unbreakable" last night. I guess it was much maligned, but I thought it was pretty cool. Makes me sort of want to see the VERY much maligned "The Lady in the Water", also directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

I watched Unbreakable last night too and think The Lady in the Water was much better than the bad press it received.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I don't find that much difference in Shyamalin's films: they're all similar, regardless of how over- or underrated they may be. IMHO, Lady In the Water is worth seeing, but it's nowhere near as good as Unbreakable.

I showed my daughter Woody Allen's Sweet and Lowdown. Gotta love the thirties setting (much of the film was shot at Rye Playland, and it looks splendid), the music, and the outstanding performances by Sean Penn and Samantha Morton. My daughter doesn't like jazz at all, but she was fascinated by the film's exploration of the thin line between genius and dysfunction. (And also, just as part of Allen's fascinatingly prolific output - I've now shown my kids around 15 Woody Allen films.)

Feraud

Bartender
I hope I did not infer that Unbreakable is anywhere near as good as LITW.. because it is not!

Sweet and Lowdown is a great one too. Recently I was in the mood for a light and retro Woody Allen film and watched Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Personally, I don't find that much difference in Shyamalin's films: they're all similar, regardless of how over- or underrated they may be. IMHO, Lady In the Water is worth seeing, but it's nowhere near as good as Unbreakable.

I showed my daughter Woody Allen's Sweet and Lowdown. Gotta love the thirties setting (much of the film was shot at Rye Playland, and it looks splendid), the music, and the outstanding performances by Sean Penn and Samantha Morton. My daughter doesn't like jazz at all, but she was fascinated by the film's exploration of the thin line between genius and dysfunction. (And also, just as part of Allen's fascinatingly prolific output - I've now shown my kids around 15 Woody Allen films.)

I just watched Stardust Memories (6.5/10) for the first time in a while and even though it'senjoyable, I still cannot get past the "whine heard 'round the world" rap this movie gets. This is also the rare Woody movie that doesn't feature any of his usual leading ladies. Charlotte Rampling does nothing for me as an actress and Allen's lingering shots of her fall flat because of this.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen that one yet - I think I'm behind by about five! Two or three from before Match Point and Scoop, and the two newest ones. (At a picture a year, it's hard to keep up.)

And re Shyamalin's films, it seems to be a very personal thing about which you prefer. I liked The Village and Unbreakable a lot more than Lady In the Water or Signs... but I understand if you feel the opposite. (And while I liked The Sixth Sense a lot, I did figure out the surprise about two-thirds of the way through, so I'm not awestruck as many where.)

I still think he's more of a con man than a filmmaker, but he's got a unique style - suitably moody when it works, annoyingly pretentious when it doesn't.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Nathan Dodge said:
I just watched Stardust Memories (6.5/10) for the first time in a while and even though it'senjoyable, I still cannot get past the "whine heard 'round the world" rap this movie gets. This is also the rare Woody movie that doesn't feature any of his usual leading ladies. Charlotte Rampling does nothing for me as an actress and Allen's lingering shots of her fall flat because of this.

Stardust Memories is an odd one. It's got parts that work really well, and other parts that just lay there. But you gotta love the Woody-voiced aliens saying that they prefer the "early, funny ones". Hey, it's a lot more watchable than September...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Stardust Memories is an odd one. It's got parts that work really well, and other parts that just lay there. But you gotta love the Woody-voiced aliens saying that they prefer the "early, funny ones". Hey, it's a lot more watchable than September...

There's *always* something interesting in a Woody film, and while September does try too hard, I find a lot to enjoy in Woody's other "serious" efforts, like Another Woman and Alice (the latter with its wonderful Deco apartment!)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Not having a lot of time to watch movies, we just watched "The Notebook" the other day. Better than expected, thought it would be very bleh, but was pleasantly surprised. Though that doesn't add much to the interesting conversation that was going on.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Another Woman and Alice... Yup, I like those also. And I agree that even sub-par Woody is worthwhile. He's a national treasure! I've been enjoying his work for decades - I started seeing his films in theaters back around the time of Bananas!

carter

I'll Lock Up
TCM

Brute Force on TCM with Burt Lancaster, Howard Duff, and Hume Cronyn as a bad, bad prison Captain.

The Captive City with John Forsythe as a crusading small-town newspaper editor.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
I've been enjoying his work for decades - I started seeing his films in theaters back around the time of Bananas!

I was too busy being born in 1971 to go, but that shouldn't be an excuse! ;) I became a Woody fan around 1990, after seeing Crimes & Misdemeanors.

Panache

A-List Customer
very much enjoyed Shyamalin's 6th Sense , Unbreakable, and Signs.

Of the three I liked Unbreakable least while watching it because there was this very odd quality to the way the film was shot and certain elements. Only at the end did everything fall into place and that made the film outstanding to me.

Doctor Strange said:
...And while I liked The Sixth Sense a lot, I did figure out the surprise about two-thirds of the way through, so I'm not awestruck as many where

I saw this in the theater with my lovely wife. At the start of the second scene in the movie I whispered to her "Do you get it?" She looked at me oddly, "get what?" she replied. "Never mind" I answered.

At the end of the film she turned to me and was rather impressed that I had picked up on the surprise immediately.

I still liked the movie though.

Cheers

Jamie

just_me

Practically Family
The last movie I watched was Peter's Friends. Really good ensemble movie made in England in the early 90s. I guess it could be compared to The Big Chill in that a group of friends from college get together years later. Great cast - Hugh Laurie, Stephen Frye, Emma Thompson, Kevin Branaugh, Imelda Staunton, Rita Rudner, etc.

As to Woody Allen movies - I luf them. No I loaf them. I loooov them. I lurf them. lol All except Interiors.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
I watched Unbreakable last night too and think The Lady in the Water was much better than the bad press it received.

I think Lady in the Water was expected to be more scary and less Fairy-tale like. When people go see an M. Night film, they are looking for The Sixth Sense or Signs, because they assume all of his movies will be like those two. I much prefer Lady in the Water and The Village-- I think that they are just better films. But, that's only my oppinion ;)

The last movie I watched was Eagle Eye with Shia LeBeouf last night, and I'm still trying to figure out if I liked it or not...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe