Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Caught the last 1.5 hours of Hitchcock's North by Northwest again yesterday. Charming, fast-moving, and exciting as usual. Points to dwell on:

1) People have complained about the title, saying there is no compass point called "north by northwest." Well, fine, but in the last act of the film, Grant's Roger Thornhill travels from Chicago to Rapid City, SD, on an airline labeled in multiple shots as "Northwest." So, north by Northwest.

2) The movie has long been hailed as the direct ancestor or inspiration for TV's "Man from U.N.C.L.E." It features:

a) A good-looking, well-groomed hero. Norman Felton, the exec producer of the series, said at the start he wanted a "Cary Grant type" for the lead.
b) An innocent person caught up in spy intrigue (in this case it happens to be the hero, Grant's Thornhill).
c) Dry humor (when the nosy station clerk asks the sunglasses-wearing Thornhill if something is wrong with his eyes, Thornhill counters, "They're sensitive to questions!").
d) Considerable travel over the U.S., from New York to Chicago, Indianapolis, and South Dakota.
e) Leo G. Carroll's "Professor," the spymaster for the unnamed government agency and the model for his later Alexander Waverly of U.N.C.L.E. (I'm positive Carroll's wearing the same fedora he sports in one or two U.N.C.L.E. episodes a few years later.)

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Just previewed "Brooklyn," which starts here Saturday. Beautifully shot period drama without a shred of cynicism, about appealing working-class characters. It's like they were reading my mind.

The role of Brooklyn, by the way, is played by Montreal, which looks more "Brooklyn" these days than Brooklyn does.

Saw it and enjoyed it, although my wife found it a bit, "vanilla." But I'm a sucker for anything that involves Ireland.

Just previewed "Brooklyn," which starts here Saturday. Beautifully shot period drama without a shred of cynicism, about appealing working-class characters. It's like they were reading my mind.

The role of Brooklyn, by the way, is played by Montreal, which looks more "Brooklyn" these days than Brooklyn does.
I hadn't heard of Brooklyn before reading your post. Now I want to see it.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947). Homeless New Yorker Aloysius T. McKeever (Victor Moore) winters in the empty mansion of Michael J. 'Mike' O'Connor (Charles Ruggles), the second-richest man in the world who normally spends his winters in Virginia. Before long McKeever finds himself inviting new friends to stay with him, including Jim Bullock (Don DeFore), O'Connor's daughter Mary (Ann Harding), his ex-wife Trudy (Gale Storm), and O'Connor himself (without knowing who the O'Connors really are). With a cast that includes Alan Hale Jr., Charles Lane, and John Hamilton, it's predictable but enjoyable.
This is one of my wife's favorites; you're right, it's predictable Hollywood product, but it's still entertaining~

The Monster and the Girl (1941). Hoo boy. When Scot Webster (Phillip Terry) tries to rescue his sister Susan (Ellen Drew) from the clutches of local gangster W.S. Bruhl (Paul Lukas), he's framed for murder and, after his execution, his brain is inexplicably transplanted into a gorilla by Dr. Parry (George Zucco). When the men responsible for Webster's frame-up start being murdered one-by-one...well, you get the idea. I liked it, but really couldn't say why. It took three separate viewings for me to see the entire movie because I kept falling asleep even though it's only 65 minutes long, and the best actors in the movie are the gorilla (Charlie Gemora; uncredited, but arguably the best of the "Hollywood gorilla men") and Skipper the dog.

Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome (1947). As the title suggests, Dick Tracy (Ralph Byrd) goes up against a criminal named Gruesome (Boris Karloff) who robs a bank by using a nerve gas that renders people completely immobile. Lightweight entertainment, to be sure, but Karloff shines as usual.

Watched "The Champ" with Ricky Schroeder and Jon Voight. with Faye Dunaway in a throwaway role. Schroeder was a WOW. What do you do as an actor when your best work happens as an 8 year old!!! Voight is a very good actor who continues to build a great body of work. Not a bad movie but very dated stylistically.

Feraud

Bartender

I've heard it is quite good and hope to see it soon.

green papaya

One Too Many
I bought all of Sean Connery's and Roger Moore's 007 James Bond movies, including the one with George Lazenby.

BEST BUY had all of them for only $3.99 each

Im watching a James Bond Marathon starting with the very first movie "DR NO" 1962

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I bought all of Sean Connery's and Roger Moore's 007 James Bond movies, including the one with George Lazenby.

BEST BUY had all of them for only $3.99 each

Im watching a James Bond Marathon starting with the very first movie "DR NO" 1962

On Her Majesty's Secret Service with Lazenby is one of the best of the early Bonds, certainly better than some of the latter Connerys where Sean mailed it in.

If Lazenby had been treated better and/or been thicker skinned, we may have had a different trajectory without Moore.

And I say that having enjoyed the Moore era (I grew up during that era, so like the music one has in high school, it's nostolgic - whether it was good, or not, well... !).

On Her Majesty's Secret Service with Lazenby is one of the best of the early Bonds, certainly better than some of the latter Connerys where Sean mailed it in.

If Lazenby had been treated better and/or been thicker skinned, we may have had a different trajectory without Moore.

And I say that having enjoyed the Moore era (I grew up during that era, so like the music one has in high school, it's nostolgic - whether it was good, or not, well... !).

While I think Lazenby gets a bum rap and would have done a better job than Moore, the Bond franchise was going to suffer in the '70s from the cultural confusion of that decade and the usual loss of focus and quality that long-running series tend to go through. It would have taken incredible energy and vision from its producers, writers and directors for a the Bond franchise to have maintained the quality of the first three movies (or even most of the '60s ones) through the '70s.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Flipping around the dial last night when I couldn't get to sleep, I came across one of the Quebec channels showing "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" dubbed into French. You haven't lived until you've experienced Buddy Hackett dubbed into French. Ooooweeeee. Or "Oui."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe