Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And the thing is, it wasn't necessary. Ample drama could've been wrung from Robinson's own crisis of conscience over selling out his own beliefs so he could work again, rather than portraying him as an out-and-out fink. The actor playing Robinson was excellent in the part, which makes the poorly-scripted storyline for him all the more frustrating.

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens. As I stated in the Star Wars thread, I liked it but will need to see it at least a few more times before I can decide where to rank it compared to the other six movies. I think most fans will be pleased.

Last night, for the umpteenth time, I watched "Suspicion," which I sadly never tire of. As I have almost nothing new to say about it as I've probably used up whatever banal observations I have about it in prior posts, I'll just add this, be it this movie, "The Uninvited," "Mrs. Miniver," or "Went the Day Well," the small 1930s / '40s British village towns that show up in these and so many other British movies are absolutely gorgeous.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
This is the one thing that bothers me about movies that are allegedly "based on a true story" or some such--the way they often play fast-and-loose with facts and present them as gospel. I realize they're trying to tell an entertaining story, but people walk out of the theater thinking they've just seen a documentary and, most of the time, don't bother to learn the truth on their own. I'm still waiting for the day when I hear someone wonder aloud why they weren't taught in school that Abraham Lincoln hunted vampires; sadly, I won't be too surprised.

Abraham Lincoln DIDN'T hunt vampires?!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The Force Awakens: I clapped, I laughed, I was blown away... and I cried. I cried so hard! I cried harder than I ever have over any fictional story! The story is fantastic, and so well written I don't even mind that a few of the scenes rehash from the OT a bit. The effects were absolutely flawless, I couldn't find a single thing I disliked about them even if I tried. I guarantee, the trailers and TV spots only show 10% of what's there! Absolutely lives up to the hype, I guarantee it!

10/10

I'll Be Seeing You. Ginger Rogers was just so good in her dramatic roles.

Now I'm watching Remember the Night on TCM.

She was and it is a shame that she is often thought of as the second part of "Fred and Ginger" as she was not only an incredible dancer, but, as you said, also a fine dramatic actress away from her dancing. "I'll Be Seeing You" is a great example of that. Really enjoy that movie and really enjoy "Remember the Night."

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've seen that one twice. Not Serling's best work but if you need a different take it's something to watch. The Peter Sellers episode I could've done without...

Worf

I watched A Carol For Another Christmas last night on TCM On Demand. I think I may have seen it when it originally aired in 1964 - my parents were big fans of Serling, Mankiwicz, and prestige dramas - but I was only 9 then and I can't recall clearly. I have to agree that Serling's script was too heavy with the sledgehammer symbolism, and there were some things in the piece that didn't work. But I thought it was beautifully filmed, very well acted (Robert Shaw as the Ghost of Xmas Future was a standout), and a fine example of the kind of idealistic, better-the-world project that wasn't unusual in the Kennedy/Johnson era. I can't imagine a network showing anything like this - under the auspices of the United Nations, and without any commercial breaks, no less - nowadays.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Jump Into Hell (1955) Another Cold War propaganda film about the battle of Dien Bien Phu. I was surprised they showed a little of the American involvement in Vietnam during the 50s, with an Air Force C-124 Globemaster hauling the French Legionnaires from France to Hanoi! Remember, the first Americans killed were C-119 Boxcar pilots at this battle. Way over the top, with comparisons to the Alamo, and insinuating, the the Legion fought to the last man.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Moral Storm with Jimmy Stewart. Excellent film about Germany right after Hitler came to power and how it changed ordinary Germans' lives.

The Moral Storm with Jimmy Stewart. Excellent film about Germany right after Hitler came to power and how it changed ordinary Germans' lives.

This is one of my favorite "doesn't get a lot of mention" movies that is outstanding. The cast is excellent - I wish Margaret Sullivan had made more movies, and this one shows that Frank Morgan is way more of an actor than just the Wizard of Oz - the story powerful - you feel the fragility of normal life under a dictatorship - and the cinematography is gorgeous B&W. It's also interesting to see how the studio wasn't ready to say Germany or Nazis yet, but it was very, very clear what they were referring to.

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947). Homeless New Yorker Aloysius T. McKeever (Victor Moore) winters in the empty mansion of Michael J. 'Mike' O'Connor (Charles Ruggles), the second-richest man in the world who normally spends his winters in Virginia. Before long McKeever finds himself inviting new friends to stay with him, including Jim Bullock (Don DeFore), O'Connor's daughter Mary (Ann Harding), his ex-wife Trudy (Gale Storm), and O'Connor himself (without knowing who the O'Connors really are). With a cast that includes Alan Hale Jr., Charles Lane, and John Hamilton, it's predictable but enjoyable.

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947). Homeless New Yorker Aloysius T. McKeever (Victor Moore) winters in the empty mansion of Michael J. 'Mike' O'Connor (Charles Ruggles), the second-richest man in the world who normally spends his winters in Virginia. Before long McKeever finds himself inviting new friends to stay with him, including Jim Bullock (Don DeFore), O'Connor's daughter Mary (Ann Harding), his ex-wife Trudy (Gale Storm), and O'Connor himself (without knowing who the O'Connors really are). With a cast that includes Alan Hale Jr., Charles Lane, and John Hamilton, it's predictable but enjoyable.

I love that Ann Harding is in it as she seemed to be one of several pre-code stars - and a fantastic one at that - who all but disappeared once the code stopped movies from lucidly showing what people really do. If memory serves, in "It Happened on 5th Avenue," she shows, once again, that she is a real actress handling an small role with understated professionalism.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

I love this movie! It's totally predictable, yes, but as you said, very enjoyable! :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
This is one of my favorite "doesn't get a lot of mention" movies that is outstanding. The cast is excellent - I wish Margaret Sullivan had made more movies, and this one shows that Frank Morgan is way more of an actor than just the Wizard of Oz - the story powerful - you feel the fragility of normal life under a dictatorship - and the cinematography is gorgeous B&W. It's also interesting to see how the studio wasn't ready to say Germany or Nazis yet, but it was very, very clear what they were referring to.

From what Robert Osborne said before the movie started (I was watching it on TCM), Hitler banned it from being shown in Germany and it got criticism in the US for "war-mongering." Of course, only a year later, it was proven to be quite accurate.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Island At The Top Of The World. (1974) A Disney film that should have been made 20 years earlier! Just didn't fit into the cynical mid 70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe