Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of knot do you tie?

What type of knot do you tie for your necktie?

• Four in hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Half Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Pratt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
This is the result of the old school way of tying a bowtie that Matt Deckard and I learned at Carroll & Co. The knot is nice and tight. The bow came out smaller when I retied the tie after this photo, but I absent mindedly undid it without taking a picture.

CIMG4206.jpg

BTW- those are beauty marks, not Oreo crumbs...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Full Windsor!! (for Paddy)

I always wear a full windsor. I'm quite a follower of Edward VIII's fondness for fashion!! (but in many ways, that's where the admiration begins and ends, but this isn't a political piece, so back to ties!).

I just love the boldness of it, especially when it evolved in days when the fashion was for smaller, tighter knots. I'm definitely a Double French cuff, Full Windsor kinda chap :)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Ghos7a55assin said:
This is the result of the old school way of tying a bowtie that Matt Deckard and I learned at Carroll & Co. The knot is nice and tight. The bow came out smaller when I retied the tie after this photo, but I absent mindedly undid it without taking a picture.

BTW- those are beauty marks, not Oreo crumbs...

The beauty of that bow tie knot is that it's all about the untying. It's one you see in the movies all the time and I'll break it down in pics.

magneto

Practically Family
carebear said:
Seeing as how for the moment I'm single and my sister is across the country you're on fashion advisor detail.

I was given a wool Marine Corps tartan tie (pretty, well really, narrow) by a local Irish shop owner.

What the heck goes with slightly fuzzy green wool? My suits, cotton and silk dress shirts and khakis sure don't go.

Hi carebear,
I think wool ties are de facto "sporty" and informal, right? Maybe off-white shirt, brown wool pants, suede shoes or brogues? I don't think khaki would look too bad at all (unless it's the almost-white khaki). Do you have a brown corduroy jacket or pants? Those could work too.

Haversack

One Too Many
Four-in-hand is the knot my father taught me when I was about eight. Depending upon the collar of the shirt I am wearing, it is my default tie knot. After I was commissioned in the Army, I had to learn the Windsor knot. The asymmetry of the four-in-hand was/is frowned on by the promotion review boards who look at an individual's official photograph in their personnel record. As I have a few spread-collar shirts, I occassionally will tie a Windsor. Given the right circumstances, I also occassionally will tie and wear a bow tie.

Haversack.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
KAT said:
What type of knot do you tie ?

is this the right place to talk about weddings ?:p lol

ok ok..im leaving this thread already..........:whistling

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :eek:

It's OK, I'll stop panicking in a moment. Pay no attention to the hyperventilating!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
magneto said:
Hi carebear,
I think wool ties are de facto "sporty" and informal, right? Maybe off-white shirt, brown wool pants, suede shoes or brogues? I don't think khaki would look too bad at all (unless it's the almost-white khaki). Do you have a brown corduroy jacket or pants? Those could work too.

I'll try the khaki's and my brown Havana Joes (great shoe). I think you are right, it's the shirt and jacket I really am lacking, though , given my locale, the "outdoorsy" look has an appeal.

And I hate going shopping. <the preceding was a lie :D >

KAT

A-List Customer
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :eek:

It's OK, I'll stop panicking in a moment. Pay no attention to the hyperventilating![/QUOTE]
lol i did too and was so glad when i found out you guys were talking about something else :eusa_doh: lol

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
KAT said:
lol i did too and was so glad when i found out you guys were talking about something else :eusa_doh: lol

lol I have yet to be convinced that I am designed to be anything other than a bachelor. Weddings make me nervous.

Michael Best

New in Town
It's been the double windsor for me since my 13th birthday. At that age I was an air cadet and this knot was standard issue with the uniform so I had no choice but to lean it. I'm not a smal fella so the windsor being a bigger knot always seemed to fit me well

jml90

One of the Regulars
I do knot I made myself it starts off backwards like a pratt but then I tie it like a half windsor it has a nice inverted bell shape.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
I can't remember the name of the one I use. Been so long, never gave it any thought to other types of knots. My dad taught me when I was a kid in front of a mirror. Now, when I tie a tie, I tie it backwards because of how I mimicked the mirror. lol Turns out perfectly every time though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe