Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of knot do you tie?

What type of knot do you tie for your necktie?

• Four in hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Half Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Pratt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kostya

Familiar Face
How to tie a bow tie?

Ghos7a55assin said:
This is the result of the old school way of tying a bowtie that Matt Deckard and I learned at Carroll & Co. The knot is nice and tight. The bow came out smaller when I retied the tie after this photo, but I absent mindedly undid it without taking a picture.

CIMG4206.jpg

BTW- those are beauty marks, not Oreo crumbs...

I wear bow ties from time to time, but I can never seem to get it right on the last part. Can someone send a link or post instructions on the easiest way to tie a bow tie properly?

Thanks,
Kostya

Barry

Practically Family
How to tie a bow tie...

Kostya said:
I wear bow ties from time to time, but I can never seem to get it right on the last part. Can someone send a link or post instructions on the easiest way to tie a bow tie properly?

Thanks,
Kostya

There's a video from Beauties.com:

Beauties.com Video

I would like to know how Ghos7a55assin tied the bow-tie in the picture. It looks great to me. Nice and neat.

Here's a "batwing" style bow-tie from J. Press:

barrybow.jpg

Barry

Marty M.

Vendor
Tie it on.

I always use the Four in Hand. Most ties that are curently being sold now are at a width of 3.75 to 4.00 inches wide. That puts the throat of the tie (where the knot will be) at 2.00 to 2.50 inches wide. That makes a very full windsor, but perfect for a four in hand knot.
Tie makers are under the assumption that most men will wear a four in hand knot. I also like the dimple that I can crank out of a four in hand knot.
Marty M.

Kostya said:

Thanks,
Kostya

To practise: Tie the bow tie around your thigh with the knot on top. Tie it exactly as you would tie your shoe laces. Then start practising around your neck. This is the easiest way i've ever heard to learn how to tie a bow tie.

Worked for me.

bk

The Beau Tie video method is the one I use. It is as easy as tying your regular necktie. Thinking of tying your shoes always throws me off because it is around my neck not around my ankle. :p It is a different perspective to actually tying a bowtie. Sort of backwards and upside down. [huh] :D

Regards,

J

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tony in Tarzana said:
That's my Pop! I have no idea when that picture was taken, but he was born in 1906.

Baron, first I have to find a bow tie that'll fit around my thigh. :eek:

You could cut down a scarf to shape..... :D

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Half-windsor. It gives narrow ties a good foundation, and it looks nice and even. I only tie the four-in-hand if the tie is really thick. It's the first and simplest knot, and anything I can do to get away from guys my age idea of 'dressing up' (khakis, blue blazer) is for the better.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The knot I use on any given day depends on the thickness of the tie, the spread and tie space of the collar on my shirt, and my mood that day. Half Windsor is my standard, with four in hand for thick ties/narrow collars and full Windsor for extremely thin ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe