Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Sort of Vintage Enthusiast Are You?

Nikx

New in Town
I'm just beginning my adventure into vintage, so for the moment I would say I'm a Vintage Accessorist! Or at least going to be soon :)

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
You can call me a nostalgic. I started on the forum looking at A2 flying jackets and enjoy seeing the vintage stuff everyone else has. I wear reproduction A2, B10 and B15 reproduction jackets but that's about as far as I go.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I am mainly a 1. but am forced to be a bit of a 2. as well. I would wear entirely vintage if I could (or clothes made from vintage patterns with vintage fabric) - I have no icky feelings at all about used clothes, I've been wearing them since I was a kid growing up with hand-me-downs. I even wear vintage bras. I do have some repro and modern stuff that is vintage in style that I wear as my 'every day' wear. I get my pencil skirts made-to-measure as I'm on the tall side and have trouble getting vintage ones long enough and it's nice to have stuff to wear to work that I'm not too precious about too.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I want to learn to knit to be more of a Reproducer, for the very selfish reason of I seem to find colours of vintage sweaters I like, and styles of vintage sweaters - and never on the same sweater! [huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I am definitely firmly in vintage inspired, although I prefer used clothes, but not necessarily what we would term "Vintage" I tend ot like classic menswear, and go more for the effect than actual reproduction. Then I add details like the hats and suspenders (also my scarves/ascots), and that gives it flavor.

I also have a bit of the Vintage Accessorist, although to be honest, I would prefer modern things (except maybe watches and cufflinks) if I could get the same value for my money. I will let the hard core collectors have the good stuff, I just want to look good and have good clothes.

Vintage inspired Bamboo Fly Rods

I hand craft Bamboo Fly Rods from scratch..Inspired by legendary rod makers of the "Classic Era".;)
IMG_0233.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Undertow really bumped an old thread! Since I live in Los Angeles, one of the thrift store capitols of the USA, I lean towards Authentic. Since I'm 40R/L in a suit, 33-32 in high-rise trousers, and 7 1/8 in a hat, I often find something that I can fit into. Yet I still have to concede sometimes and fall into category 2. If I wear a vintage suit, I can accompany it with vintage necktie, tie bar, pocket square, and maybe hat, but the shirt, belt, shoes, and socks...vintage-inspired.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have always collected vintage clothes, accessories and objets, and grew up with parents that did the same, it is only really because of the inspiration and info i have got from you guys that i have started to step out every day wearing vintage clothes and accessories, or a mixture of vintage and repro or vintage inspired. But i have always been pretty much a classic dresser anyway, and always worn some vintage pieces whether it was a watch or a scarf or whatever. Can i just say thankyou to everyone, i feel like i have gotten a new or is that vintage lease of life! I feel more comfortable in my own skin now and more confident and that's down to you great people. Thankyou! x

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
"4) Suggested by Vanessa, The Authenitc Reproducers: This person has a library full of vintage patterns, books on vintage clothes, and copies of the old Sears catalogue. This person has trouble finding room for the clothes they make along with all of the fabric they keep on hand to make them. This person takes it to the next level; it is not enough find vintage items, they must also know how to make them. This skill enables them to see something and replicate it to add it to their closet. If a time machine were to materialize, this person would force the pilot to take them to get the perfect sewing machine."

This one! I love making my own clothing from vintage patterns and ADORE my old magazine collection to get ideas. I stick to modern fabrics, though. I don't wear anything vintage, really. It's too fragile and I would just die if I ruined it in some stupid way. I only have three real vintage dresses and they are from the 50s. Even they are too fragile for me and I've had a few button mishaps with them :eek:

The thrill of creating my own clothing really does it for me. It is my creative outlet and I love it.

Also, my grandmother's 1938 Kenmore has traveled time into the present day and now resides in my sewing room right next to my cheap, plastic modern machine :D

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
I'm probably an authentic/inspired hybrid.

It doesn't have to be the genuine vintage article but mixing up eras is something I have a hard time stomaching myself. BUT if it's close enough that 95% of the population won't even realize it then it's ok. If I could dress vintage every day I would. Many dreams I have had of giving all my 'modern' clothes and just leaving myself with the old or old looking stuff to dress in.

I like most modern repros and as my wife has a hard time with the lack of functionality of old things (clothing, home goods, etc...) it's a great alternative (read: happy medium/happy wife)

~ X

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
I'm a Number 1. I try to be as authentic as possible and wear vintage on a daily basis. I do mix eras though, 40s and 50s, but I've got a couple of items from the 30s, and probably even very early 60s. I wear reproduction clothing as well though, but only from people who make it from vintage patterns. I prefer wearing old clothes. There's nothing nasty about wearing something second hand, it's lovely to know that it has a story and a history behind it.

Edward

Bartender
I think most accurately I'm a 2 with aspirations to be a 1... :rolleyes: I'm not averse to vintage by any means, though it's difficult to find something in my size - trousers especially, as it appears that most men otherwise of my size in the 30s and 40s were about two feet high and had the physique of a beach ball. I don't do short trousers, even if they're part of a suit. The one thing I have qualms about with genuine vintage is the idea of wearing out and 'destroying' a piece of history (though logically it makes sense for stuff to be worn rather than left to rot in a cupboard somewhere...). Reproduction is grand for me.

Matt Deckard said:
In regard to Hong Kong Tailors... they are some of the best tailors on the planet (they learned from the English tailors when they were the best and kept the skills). Next time I have the cash for a 5,000 suit, i'm flying to H/K and getting 5 $600 3-piece suits and saving the rest of the cash for shoes. I was at the Argyle Hotel one evening and ran into a man wearing a belted back suit. The fit was stunningly perfect. Root will concur. We were arguing over weather or not it was vintage... we kept going back and forth on the subject until I asked.

Likewise. Young Ray had some superb stuff done somewhere on the Nathan Road - I intend to check that out at some future point.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm more in the "2) Vintage Inspired" realm. I re-enacted Civil War about 15 years ago, then quit to coach my kid's little league baseball and be a scout leader. Now the kid's 22 and in college while working full time so I have time again. I started target shooting (1911's) and while looking for holsters found "What Price Glory", and "At The Front". I wear a lot of khaki anyway, so buying a safari jacket and a M1941 jacket from WPG was a natural. I also own khaki's from ATF. I now own a few hats, a couple of M1943 Fatigue hats, and wear older styles. I'll probably go for a tweed sportcoat at some point. I wore one for years, but it's a bit small now.

Later

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
In between a #1 and 2. I buy vintage at every opportunity I can; all of my suits, sportcoats, ties, and majority of my hats are vintage. I have a pair of vintage shoes, and a 50's sport shirt. I don't care if I mix eras here or there, as long as it looks tactful.

I can't always find what I'm looking for in vintage, because the thrift stores around me are lame. So I have some items, like a pair of dress slacks and eventually some custom dress shirts, that look right out of the Golden Era. I have a VS fedora. What else I cannot find vintage, like dress shirts, Rx sunglasses, socks, most of my shoes, etc.; have classic style leanings (bow ties, too).

Mr Vim

One Too Many
HJ, I will have to say that I am a bit of all four categories, some items I have are 100 % authentic, others I'm having made from vintage patterns and yet still more are modern clothes with that vintage feel... and personally I think this is one of those tests were there are no wrong answers... that is just my opinion, mind.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I am a mix between the Vintage Inspired and The Authentic Reproducers. I am a bit of a freak about being accurate in that I don't like to do stuff that is modern looking with my vintage looking things. I make a lot of my clothing but am not always true to vintage fabric as I really enjoy some of our modern colors and have found it suits me well. Strangely enough I very rarely buy vintage because I am afraid I will ruin it and it would crush me to do such an awful thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld