Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size hat do you wear?

What standard size fits you best?

• 6 3/4 (54)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 7/8 (55)

• 7 (56)

• 7 1/8 (57)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 7 1/4 (58)

• 7 3/8 (59)

• 7 1/2 (60)

• 7 5/8 (61)

• 7 3/4 (62)

• 7 7/8 (63)

• Total voters

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Variable. I put down 7 1/4, but these days a 7 3/8 seems to fit better. Back in the AF days my hats were 7 1/8th. All depends on how much I weigh and how long between haircuts! lol

Cheers,
Tom

swisslet

New in Town
cookie said:
I suspect from trying a 61/75/8 on my son the other day that did not fit well that his size is that as well! I won't know until its a conformateur job but the front of his melon to back was about 2" more than side to side. Would that be right?

Yeah - but get him measured properly (actually, that's something I need to get done too). All I know is that a 62 is about right for my head (certainly any bigger would be TOO big), but I have to put a bit of groundwork into the shaping so that I don't have oceans of space around the temples and a big red mark on my forehead! (not only do I have an oval head, but it appears to me more pointy at the front than the back). My hats change shape quite a lot the more I wear them. My new-ish FedIV is just starting to conform nicely though.

ST

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, I voted 7 1/8 but really also need to vote 7 as well since I'm really a 7 1/16 semi-long oval. Right in the middle for both specs, and so no production hat fits right unless it was a mistake! :eusa_doh:

Can one vote more than once? Do you care about in-between sizes or does the one vote work out well enough?

I get hats to fit by either getting a 7 1/8 and padding it or getting a 7 and stretching it half a size. Oh, and add to that my noggin is a bit egg shaped to boot.

After some frustration, I wound up with a custom made hat, using the conformer method. Once I got a hat that fit properly out of the box, I then worked up (read: sandpaper and elbow grease) a cheap hat stretcher to match the shape of the hat. So, now I can take a size 7 hat, insert the stretcher and crank it until it's snug. I leave it overnight and -presto- I have a hat that fits 100% properly! :D

This has worked with low cost size 7 hats off of eBay and now I'm about to try it for real with one of the JohnnyPhi hats I won the past weekend......

Later!

Stan

Mark Brody

New in Town
Very nice, Stan. That's a lot of work to get a hat to fit you, but it's worth it! I wish we could vote more than once. It seems about half the people here are exactly halfway between sizes - myself included (7 7/16).

DerMann

Practically Family
7 5/8 US here.

It should be mentioned that any of our members in Blighty that have older hats and are going off of those sizes may need to adjust their measurements a tad as 1/8"is usually added (7 1/2 UK = 7 5/8 US).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld