Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is B-3 Jacket temperature comfort range?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Wore my new aero B3 today and it is much warmer than my previous B3. The hide feels thinner, but the fleece is much thicker. The temperature was in the mid 20's but felt like it was 13 F with the windchill and humidity. I only wore a long sleeve Tshirt underneath, and still was almost hot in the jacket without even having to zip it up. How is that for warm.

normanf

One of the Regulars
The B-3 was originally issued to be worn by high altitude bomber crews sitting in unheated cabins. They did their job. And they do feel quite warm! You don't need to wear nothing underneath one in winter but a thin t-shirt! :D

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I can definitely attest to the fact that all you need under a B3 is a T shirt. I used to live in rural New Jersey (McGuire AFB). I remember when the temperature got down to about -5 degrees F one night. I went outside in a B3 with only a T shirt (pants too) and I was absolutely fine. It was like the jacket had an electric heater in it. This year, I was going to buy another one but quickly changed my mind since it really doesn't get cold enough here in Kentucky to make it worthwhile. If I'm lucky, I would only get about 30 days of wear out of it over the course of a year.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's gonna be 101° in greater New York today, so I imagine we're well out of the B-3 comfort range. lol More like this...
3283070977_44e6a783f6.jpg

B-24D groundcrew, 43rd Bomb Group, 5th AF, Australia, 1942.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Is the M445 the same weight as a B-3? I was looking at one and as much as i like the look, i doubt id get to use it here.
Wolfe

alfyman

One of the Regulars
B 3 jacket Temp range

Hi there, I had purchased a B3 years ago from Eastman, I sold it because I got it too snug, But I was lucky I lived in an area where snow was only 3 hours away, But I always wanted to replace it, but I loved it, But Now years later, I purchased another one a little larger and it feels great. I like this one because it doesn't have the puffy cuffs, I just cant wait to wear it everyday in winter.

Radu

Familiar Face
ANJ4

I just want to order an Aero ANJ4. Do you have the same opinion like about B3. I mean it will be as warm as B3?

normanf

One of the Regulars
Its thin like the B-6 or the D-1. Not as warm as a B-3. More of a three season jacket. The B-3 is overkill for temperate climates!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Radu said:
I just want to order an Aero ANJ4. Do you have the same opinion like about B3. I mean it will be as warm as B3?

I believe they use the same fleece, it may end up being warmer,as it has more overlays. I have my B3/ANJ4 cross completely overlayed in 3.5oz horse hide and it is MUCH warmer than when it was just the sheepskin with a few overlays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe