Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a good alternative for a tie? Help required.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Simple, yet elegant.

UA011084.jpg

Classic.

42-19156119.jpg

Note the safety pin on FA's shirt placket.

Edward

Bartender
davestlouis said:
Take a gander at where FA's belt is buckled...visible in the seated pic. GOOFYYYY

I've seen quite a few electric guitar players adopt that approach in my time - idea being to avoid 'belt buckle rash' forming on the back of the guitar where it rubs against the buckle while in the playing position. Don't recall hearing of FA as being a player, though. But hey, didn't he once use a tie in place of a belt, or am I thinking of Cary Grant?

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
Perhaps that little bit too elegant?
An ascot might be a bit too elegant for certain neighborhoods.

Depending on where you live, how old you are, how you feel about having to defend yourself against thugs who just don't like the way you look, etc. etc. I don't think the dandy route is the way to go. It worked for Astaire but I doubt he travelled in some of the circles some of us do.

Once again, I will suggest no tie as an alternative. A vintage look need not always be a suit and tie. It is o.k. to dress down once in a while. :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I might be mistaken, but it appears to me there are no belt loops on Mr. Astaire's trousers (or, in any case, he's not using them). And that's definitely not a standard leather belt. So it's not surprising it's not buckled or tied dead-center-front.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Drew B said:
widebrim, you're right a tie is, for the most part, a necessity but sometimes, especially in summer you need a bit of breeze on the chest.

I will admit to being a woman and thus knowing -zip- about this...but I am highly confused here.

Ok....so you want a breeze...but you want to possibly fill up that open area with a cravat or other tie substitute.....all of which erm will block that breeze on the chest you speak of, unless you are talking of unbuttoning all the way to your waist and -still- wearing the cravat up top. :eek:

If you are blocking it and filling in the open collar area, you might as well just wear the tie. ;)

I second Feraud with the just don't wear the tie and then you get the breeze.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
An ascot might be a bit too elegant for certain neighborhoods.

Depending on where you live, how old you are, how you feel about having to defend yourself against thugs who just don't like the way you look, etc. etc. I don't think the dandy route is the way to go. It worked for Astaire but I doubt he travelled in some of the circles some of us do.

Much as that can be a srious consideration, FWIW when I'm out and about in a full on vintage look, a fair proportion of compliments I get (which seem to be unironic!) are from the hip hop looking kids that noe might at first glance stereotype as 'thugs' - the looks of disgust are usually from respectable, middle aged folks here in London. lol

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Purely a matter of personal taste.

Actually, I find that a tie makes me much hotter than a jacket. It must have something to do with how ventilation occurs. [huh]

Hey, we're talking style here, not politics. The best dressed army in the world were the Nazi's, regardless of their monstrosity. Besides, I didn't say that everyone who wore a jacket without a tie was one of the best dressed. I said the best dressed have worn a jacket without a tie. Rather a large and important difference.

I'd say the same thing. A tie with no jacket looks like the teenager going to his first job interview. A jacket with no tie is saying, I want to dress but it's really hot here. I never could pull off the collar, outside the the jacket look, like Mr Flynn up there either. Button-down collar is the way to go.

However, since you brought up the Wehrmacht (I'll stay away from the "N" word) Perhaps a jacket with a high collar is in order? No tie needed. Maybe a Nehru jacket is due for a comeback, for those of us that want to, dress for success, in a warmer climate?

Drew B

One of the Regulars
I guess my thread title could have been worded different... What I guess I was tryna get at is keeping the collar inside the lapels without a tie and therefore without having the top button done up (I think it looks silly top button done up with no tie... It might work for some folk but NOT for me) So... I like the suggestions of buttondown collars or a small scarf... Thanks folks

Cheers,
Drew.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I've seen other pics of Astaire taken over the years with his wearing something similar, but not worn as low as in this one. Its a collar pin I believe, NOT a safety pin!

Tomasso said:
Simple, yet elegant.

UA011084.jpg

Classic.

42-19156119.jpg

Note the safety pin on FA's shirt placket.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
chanteuseCarey said:
Its a collar pin I believe, NOT a safety pin!
Actually, that style pin is worn as both a collar pin and a tie tack; But when worn as neither, it becomes a safety pin. [huh]

Now, in Louie's case. :rolleyes:

Peterson005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe